View Poll Results: What say you?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a PC gamer w/ controller, and I second this motion.

28 93.33%
  • I'm actually running Linux on a game console, rock on.

0 0%
  • I use a keyboard and mouse, but good luck.

2 6.67%
  • You're alarmist.

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: QJoyPad -- new developer needed!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: QJoyPad -- new developer needed!

There's no need to make a special distro.
    Just two apps that need to be brought up to spec. Let me give your brain something to render for you:

You install a package from repos called gaming-mode. It's a container, like WINE, but much different. When you pass a program to this application, it puts it in a special state, where it's the only program running. So you go through your menus and edit them so that all your FPS games use it, to see what happens.

Upon executing this program, a window pops up, because it is the first time you've run it. It asks you for settings regarding more than one app being able to run at a time, and other container settings. You tell it, this time anyway, that you just want to run tremulous and its runtime dependencies, with the exception of your adding qjoypad.
    You click 'ok', the window closes. After a second, you're screen goes black and a small shiny looking splash appears in the center of your screen with a picture of the tremulous .svg icon and a red progress bar labeled 'entering game mode'. The bar rapidly progresses from the left, and as it does, text appears under it describing what it's doing:
    suspending unwanted processes; preparing to unload suspended processes to swap; unloading RAM; executing tremulous.
    When it's done, there are few things in your RAM. You have the kernel, your graphics driver, a few modules of your X server perhaps, QJoyPad, and Tremulous. Very handy of course, as you're actually running it on a modded xbox... with the xbox controller... and we all know how consoles skimp on memory. You go online, play a round on transit and get owned by a bunch of lucifer cannon toting jettards... then you exit the application, and the gaming-mode program automatically loads your DE, webkit konqueror, and pidgin back into RAM, and you realize how grateful you are to those awesome folks over at the nouveau project with their new gallium rendering

Beans
    Distro

This would also be awesome on the PS3, but I don't know if they've regained access to it's GPU (the RSX) yet. I suppose it may not matter, as they're actually going to try to get 3d rendering up on the SPEs with gallium..

I wish them good success.

Beans

Any news about someone developing a new version of QJoyPad ? I can't compile the current version (3.4.1) on Intrepid, nor find a usable DEB.

Beans
    Distro

None yet

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by abelthorne View Post
    Any news about someone developing a new version of QJoyPad ? I can't compile the current version (3.4.1) on Intrepid, nor find a usable DEB.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...66&postcount=2

works like a charm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12