Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] World of Warcraft - Ati Offical Drivers (Working)

Hybrid View

Beans

[SOLVED] World of Warcraft - Ati Offical Drivers (Working)

Okay this is a simple how to get World of Warcraft working for ATI Cards. I've only tested this on ATI x1900 series Card, so if you have any other ATI card and this guide works for you then please post a response.

This was done from a fresh install using the Ubuntu 7.10 32-bit and 64-bit Operating Systems. After the system was installed, I made sure to download all the updates. You can do this by going to the System Menu-->Then to the Administration Menu-->and Click on Update Manager. Click check and after the update manager refreshes choose install. You will be asked to reboot. Go ahead and reboot.

After you have restarted goto http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_Page Choose Ubuntu on the right and then your Ubuntu Build number and follow Step 2 Manual install the driver. This will install the ATI Driver Correctly. Follow these instructions exactly to the letter!

Note: Unfortunately at the time of this writing Ati/AMD 7.12 (8.443.1) Drivers don't work correctly with certain video and opengl. You will need to disable compiz fusion after you install the ATI Driver. Goto system menu--> preferences-->Appearance. Then click on visual effects tab, and choose none. You must restart or else after you install wine and wow you will not be able to see the graphics displayed correctly.

Goto http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb and follow the instructions to download the latest version of WINE and install.

Install the Wine Gecko IE engine by going to Applications Menu-->then click on terminal and type in this code
    Code:
    wine iexplore http://www.winehq.org
    Usually for whatever reason this will fail to download right the first try. Go ahead and exit out of the terminal if this freezes and restart the terminal again. Then type the following command again till you see wine homepage loaded correctly.

Configure wine by going to the Applications Menu--> Wine Menu--> then click on Configure wine. Click on the applications tab and choose Windows Xp. Now goto the audio tabe and make sure only oss driver is check marked. Lastly click on the drives tab and choose auto detect. Now save these settings and exit.

Create two folders on your desktop. Make one WoW and the other WoW-Crusade(for the expansion). Copy all files from your wow discs to the wow directory. Then copy all your crusade files to the crusade folder.

Note: Make sure you leave no wow cds in your cd rom drive!

Goto your wow folder and right click installer.exe and choose "open with other application" Scroll all the way to the bottem and choose wine. Just click install and wait a few seconds, the garbbled license agreement will allow you to click agree. Wow will install. Do the same thing for the expansion.

Download http://files.filefront.com/World+of+.../fileinfo.html and install.

Note: Do not run World of Warcraft yet!

Download Config.wtf.zip, Right click it and choose extract here. The default opengl of this file is at 1280x1024. If you need a smaller screen size edit this file with a text editor and change gxresolution to the size you prefer. Goto the Applications Menu--> Wine Menu--> and click on browse c:\ drive. Then navigate from drive c, to program files, to world of warcraft, to WTF folder. Copy the config.wtf to this directory and make sure to delete any other wtf files you see there.

Note: You have to do this or text will become unreadable, and this does increase your FPS http://www.wowwiki.com/Linux/Wine#Re..._for_FPS_Boost

Run wow once and log onto any of your characters. DO NOT configure any in game OPTIONS yet. Choose exit. Now download applytoforehead.zip extract this file and place this in your world of warcraft-->interface-->addons folder. Now restart the game, and you will be able to change in game options without crashing.

A Final note about addons, you can't just install all of them to you interface-->addons folder. Like auctioneer you can't extract the one folder and put it in the directory. This will not work. You will need to open up the auctioneer folder and take out all those folders and place it in your interface directory. That's all! Enjoy World of Warcraft with your ATi Graphics cards I hope this helps many ati users out there!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Spydr4590; December 31st, 2007 at 11:04 PM.

Beans

Re: World of Warcraft - Ati Offical Drivers (Working)

a friend gave me his laptop, with Xpress 200M and wants ubuntu installed and WOW working, so im going to try this tonight. ive only installed on nvidia and via cars, so i hope im not getting in over my head

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This was by far the best tutorial on setting up WoW that I've found. I have an older laptop with an ATI Mobility X700 card and the game actually shouldn't really work on it, but with this tutorial it (sort of) does...

The only problems I'm having is that I get these strange spikes appearing on the screen and can't read any of the text on the buttons or in dialogs when talking to a vender. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Fixed my icons/dialog issues by using FPS edit above!

Beans

I just signed up here for the singular purpose of downloading Config.wtf file, hoping it would solve my problem with getting WoW to run. It worked like a charm, so I thought I would extend my purpose to saying thanks. So, thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, WoW is working for me, but not like a charm. I'm getting 4fps with my Radeon X1200. *sigh*

Beans

^_^ This helped alot thanks. My card is a ATI Radeon™ Xpress 1100.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

This is about the 4th guide I've used to get WoW to work under Ubuntu, and it finally worked. Thanks for posting this!

My card is the Xpress 200 integrated.

I dual boot with 7.10 and XP media center (Ubuntu is appropriately in the formatted Windows recovery partition). WoW does run significantly slower under Ubuntu and Xubuntu than it does in Windows, but it is still quite playable (with minimal graphics settings, I easily had 40+ fps)

Thanks again.

Beans

I just wanted to say thank you. I followed this guide and now I can play WoW perfectly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Excellent guide! It works fine with my Ati radeon X700.
    The only problem is that I can't play in 1280x1024. The screen turns black and says "out of range 40kHz/85Hz" I changed it to 1024x768 and it works fine.Does anyone know how to fix my resolution?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast