Thread: Debian Etch Minimal Install Size

Beans

Debian Etch Minimal Install Size

About how much space would a minimal or command-line only install of Debian 4.0 (Etch) take up? I ended up with 750 MB, but that seems way too large. I installed with debian-40r1-i386-businesscard.iso. Ubuntu Gutsy command-line install for me used about 476 MB and CentOS 5.1 took up a gorillaesque 653 MB.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Debian Etch Minimal Install Size

I'm not sure how much a CLI install would be but yes, that is too much. I've had a laptop with smaller system than that, and it had X-server installed with fluxbox (though I made sure it only installed the trident and vesa driver and I unchecked all alternatives, doing only the bare minimum install). I used the regular install DVD but the netinstall CD might be a good alternative too. Anyway, my guess is that you should be able to get this down to at least 350 MB.

/mojoman

Beans

Uncheck "Desktop environment" and "standard system", then install anything you want with APT.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just installed a server from the normal Debian install cd. I unchecked everything at the install additional software screen, and I've install Apache2, OpenSSH, and thats about it, and my install is at about 350mb.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen an angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.