Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux in the Real world.

Beans

Talking Linux in the Real world.

I started workin part time at Burlington Coat factory in august, i am a sales associate. Anyway, it surprised me that the store used Red hat on all of its computers instead of windows. Most stores in the mall are stuck on windows and are afraid to use anything else. I was very surprised and excited that my store had been using linux for years and they are not afraid of anything bad happening. The best part of it all is that everything works flawlessly. Stuff in the store goes wrong all of the time, but there has never, ever been a problem with the computers! It is amazing, i am almost positive that if they were using Windows things would be going wrong all of the time and they would need an IT expert there to fix all of their problems. The linux revolution is alive and well, first burlington , next the whole world!
    ---> Pointing in the Right Direction

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Linux in the Real world.

wow never knew any large chains used linux for POS
    IBM has the market on lockdown but maybe not for long
    One more reason to shop at Burlington
    Hey infatuated let me get a leather coat half off

Beans

I'll have to start shopping at Burlington Coat Factory now.

Beans

Whenever I go to Lowes Home Improvement (a major chain in America) I see that they have some sort of Linux installed. I can't tell what distro it is, I think they might use their own because their equivilent of a linux start button says "LOWES" and has an animated picture of a Lowes store under it. They also use this program called "Genesis" to check their invintory, see what time they are working, and everything else...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

probably aix if the computers are ibm- if they are hp - hpux possibly as400's too but I doubt it
    the logon screen -start button etc can be manipulated in most operating systems

Beans

I dont even get them half of magneto, haha
    ---> Pointing in the Right Direction

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Linux in the Real world.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I visited Lowe's today and have more info. They are using a themed version of KDE, mostly on XTerms/low-resource machines (some are full-blown IBM P4 desktops, however. I saw one today with Xpdf and Mozilla open.. the Xpdf usage sorta interested me. I figured they would have used a proprietary (such as adobe) reader, but they were just using Xpdf.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89 View Post
    Whenever I go to Lowes Home Improvement (a major chain in America) I see that they have some sort of Linux installed. I can't tell what distro it is, I think they might use their own because their equivilent of a linux start button says "LOWES" and has an animated picture of a Lowes store under it. They also use this program called "Genesis" to check their invintory, see what time they are working, and everything else...
    I was in Lowe's a few months ago and also noticed that they were running a non-windows OS. If I remember correctly, they were running some version of KDE. Of course, I have no idea if it was actually linux...can't BSD, solaris, etc run KDE or gnome as well?

Anywho, I just thought it was really cool. A lot of times businesses seem to be running programs that were hand made for them. Why waste money on a windows license when you really only need your computers to run one custom program?

-teet

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is "the real world," but it's not stores:
    Linux kiosks come to the aid of natural disaster victims

Beans

- My university uses RedHat for most of the machines in the CS department.

- I visited a youth hostel in San Francisco that had various distros on the guest computers in the lobby (although they were rather poorly maintained).
    But I mean no harm nor put fault
    On anyone that lives in a vault
    But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast