Thread: Install Fedora 8 from Harddisk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Install Fedora 8 from Harddisk

I have downloaded the Fedora 8 DVD iso, and am able to install fedora8 to my laptop, however my desktop doesn't have a DVD drive and I am unable to install. Is there anyway I can install the same without downloading from the net?

Beans

Re: Install Fedora 8 from Harddisk

Quote Originally Posted by vsugadhan View Post
    I have downloaded the Fedora 8 DVD iso, and am able to install fedora8 to my laptop, however my desktop doesn't have a DVD drive and I am unable to install. Is there anyway I can install the same without downloading from the net?
    For desktop/laptop setups, you should use the desktop CD. This is the "live CD" if you will, but the package set is customized for desktops (eg it uses network manager for networking rather than manual configuration).
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    For desktop/laptop setups, you should use the desktop CD. This is the "live CD" if you will, but the package set is customized for desktops (eg it uses network manager for networking rather than manual configuration).

I dont have any problem with the network. I think you misunderstood. I just want to install Fedora 8 into my PC without writing the DVD. I have the image file on the hard disk. Is there any way i can install Fedora 8 from the DVD image file.

Beans

No, I knew what you meant... and I'm fairly sure it can be done, I just don't know how on Fedora (suse for example has a boot disk for this purpose on their downloads page). I was merely recommending the CD because while many can't burn DVDs, they can burn CDs... the other stuff was just a throw-in because it is recommended to use the CD for desktops and laptops as opposed to the DVD.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2