Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spicebird

Beans
    Hidden!

Spicebird

Anyone heard about this? It's a new email/PIM client based on Thunderbird. Looks pretty nice, it has a unique interface (for an email client. Basically looks like a tabbed browser which is a good idea IMO. I also like the customizable home page.

My only concern is that it's based on mozilla which might mean it's a resource hog. I'm not running a 50+ mb PIM client, i don't care how cool it is. How is Thunderbird on resources?

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2007/12/s...collaboration/

Beans

Re: Spicebird

Looks good... I have to say I'm not very happy with Evolution in comparison to Outlook.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm really excited about this. I can't wait to see an alpha release to test.

As far as Thunderbird's use of resources, on my system it seems to have a memory leak of some sort. I often leave it running all day while out, and come home to find it hogging up to 50% of my memory. On start up, it normally is using 3%, right behind firefox and xgl.
    -----

Community Manager @ DigitalOcean
    You're more likely to get answers from me over on AskUbuntu these days.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    Looks good... I have to say I'm not very happy with Evolution in comparison to Outlook.
    I'm a Kmail fan I must say Love the keyboard shortcuts that are similar to pine!

Beans

SpiceBird 0.4 Beta is now available for download:

http://www.spicebird.com/download

Beans
    Hidden!

Wow, that's a very good PIM client. Very good. The home page is actually useful, first time I've seen a mail client with a useful home page. And the tab idea is spectacular. I couldn't figure out how to create categories for Tasks though.

But I still don't know if I could use it, simply because it is a resource hog (like all mozilla apps). 40-60mb for a mail/PIM client? Evolution can do everything this is doing and it only uses 10mb.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by litemotiv View Post
    SpiceBird 0.4 Beta is now available for download:

http://www.spicebird.com/download
    Anyone actually installed this and tried it?

I want to do so, but I don't want my Thunderbird info hosed.

I don't mind a 50MB footprint since Outlook is more like a 200MB footprint (and my system has 2GB)... I agree though that Firefox winds up being a 150+MB footprint (more in windoze) often, which I don't like...

Anyone try it? Come on, be a guinea pig so I don't have to

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I tried it. It's nice. One thing I missed from Thunderbird that I liked in Evolution was a Calender. But now this is nice. It's basically Thunderbird plus a Calender with some other extras thrown in. I hope this makes it into the Ubuntu repos at some point. It's actually pretty light weight compared to Firefox. It was about 28 MB for me. Overall it's a nice app.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB, 1 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot
    I tried it. It's nice. One thing I missed from Thunderbird that I liked in Evolution was a Calender. But now this is nice. It's basically Thunderbird plus a Calender with some other extras thrown in. I hope this makes it into the Ubuntu repos at some point. It's actually pretty light weight compared to Firefox. It was about 28 MB for me. Overall it's a nice app.
    You might want to give lightning a try then.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Looks nice, but Evolution already does everything I want it to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast