View Poll Results: What OS you use at the workplace?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • WinXP (all)

66 55.93%
  • Vista

1 0.85%
  • Linux

36 30.51%
  • OSX

3 2.54%
  • Win2k and older

10 8.47%
  • Other

2 1.69%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OS at work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: OS at work

XP Pro at work, but I make a point to use Openoffice, Gimp, Firefox and whatever open source programs I can instead of MS Office or IE, etc.
    · Compaq Presario 5630 PII, 400 Mhz, 384 MB RAM: Arch with XFCE 4.6, Antix, Debian w/LDXE
    · Dell Dimension 8200, P4 2.2Ghz, 1.5 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 (vrtualbox)
    · Thinkpad R40, P4 M 2.0 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

XP but not out of choice used mainly for database apps development
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've got Ubuntu installed on my desktop at work with XP Pro running in VMware for the couple programs I'm not allowed to get running in WINE.
    Ubuntu? Ibuntu.
    Dell Latitude E6510
    Intel Core2Quad 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, 8800 GT, Gigabyte MOBO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by omegamike3 View Post
    I've got Ubuntu installed on my desktop at work with XP Pro running in VMware for the couple programs I'm not allowed to get running in WINE.
    i am using VBOX
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Win 2000 here, although most of our aps are running off the servers, so the OS is just window-dressing really.

There are rumblings about migrating to XP, which would be nice as XP actually manages to do helpful little things like unmounting my flash drive reliably.

Beans

If you count school as work then all the machines (even the server) are loaded with Winblow$, and to top it off what makes it even scarier one of the math teachers in my school is a Micro$oft Certified Professional (I saw the certificate in his classroom)...

Ahh, theres lots of stuff that can happen at private schools such as mine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ubuntu.

But then again, I am self employed and have full say over what goes on the computer.
    Explaining the Internet to someone who's never been online, is like explaining the Magna Carta to your cat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Espreon View Post
    and to top it off what makes it even scarier one of the math teachers in my school is a Micro$oft Certified Professional (I saw the certificate in his classroom)...
    Why is having the Microsoft Certified Professional certification scary? I have mine - definitely makes me more attractive to potential employers.

-Richard
    I use both Windows and Linux. Is that a crime? || Ubuntu User # 16597

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Espreon View Post
    If you count school as work then all the machines (even the server) are loaded with Winblow$, and to top it off what makes it even scarier one of the math teachers in my school is a Micro$oft Certified Professional (I saw the certificate in his classroom)...

Ahh, theres lots of stuff that can happen at private schools such as mine.
    What's wrong with that?

Beans

There is nothing wrong with windows certs. You definately need them if you plan on working in the IT field. I don't have mine but i will probably need them when i try and find a new job. I split my time with ubuntu and XP. Slowly transitioning over to ubuntu, there are still some apps that don't work in linux like they do on XP. Novell's console one being one of them. (missing too many features present on XP).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast