Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu's fonts...

Beans

Ubuntu's fonts...

I'd like the interface on Ubuntu to take up less room than it currently does. Is there a way to get clean, smooth fonts as small as on Windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Ubuntu's fonts...

which interface? Gnome?
    Try deleting a panel, so you have one, then shrink the current panel height (default is rather big)
    Use fonts at 10pt, and install the modified libs to get them crisp with bytecode enabled. I use liberation fonts, which are very clean and crisp.

Alternately, try another WM or DE like Xfce, or go to a really clean desktop like fluxbox, or openbox.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Have you tried increasing your screen resolution? Here in Kubuntu I use 1600x1200, while on Windows XP I use 1400x1050. I use Legendum for KDE's interface. IMO Vera and Liberation are too ugly.

Beans

My resolution is at the max. What I mean is that I can fit more on the screen due to smaller and clearer fonts in Windows.

Beans

System menu -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Fonts tab.

The primary one you want is "Application font". I've changed mine from 10 to 9 (left it at sans); turns out, both sizes actually have the same height, but 9 is slightly narrower, and in my opinion much more readable as well as fitting in more text on the screen. Made a lot of difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I sincerely doubt this is going to be of any help as you (the OP) will likely know about this already, but just in case...

On my laptop (LCD display), the first thing I do to clean up my fonts is head into System > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts. There, I enable Subpixel smoothing (Best Shapes is on by default, I believe) and in the dialog that's accessed by pressing the Details button, I select slight hinting. Regardless of the font size, this always results in clearer fonts for me, but as they say, your mileage may vary.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Praadur View Post
    I sincerely doubt this is going to be of any help as you (the OP) will likely know about this already, but just in case...

On my laptop (LCD display), the first thing I do to clean up my fonts is head into System > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts. There, I enable Subpixel smoothing (Best Shapes is on by default, I believe) and in the dialog that's accessed by pressing the Details button, I select slight hinting. Regardless of the font size, this always results in clearer fonts for me, but as they say, your mileage may vary.
    Funny thing - I have an LCD screen too, but I just can't stand the Subpixel smoothing in Ubuntu. Reminds me too much of Cleartype in XP, gave me a headache. Now Vista, for some reason, has perfect smoothing that I can't seem to replicate, so I have to just settle for the "best shapes" preset.

Beans

Have a look at this post on K.Mandla's blog. Following what he says there made the fonts on my laptop very sharp.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Not related to fonts, but i use this theme.
    It's a compact version of Clearlooks that looses the wasted space. This, combined with 9pt Lucida Grande fonts make up a nice compact desktop.

Beans

This has been a question of mine for a while. While my fonts are at 8, programs in windows manage to cram in a lot more information in a similar sized window (i.e. Deluge vs uTorrent), what sort of thing can I change to get this to happen?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast