Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 101 security updates today

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: 101 security updates today

Just an update, according to frsirt.com the exploit is not remotely exploitable. Good news I suppose

http://www.frsirt.com/english/advisories/2005/1711

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy Eyes
    If you do your downloading overnight, and aren't paying by the minute or megabyte to connect, Linux on dialup isn't horrible.
    True enough. I was on dial up using Linux for over a year before last month. I made it by just fine by downloading nightly install images of Hoary while it was in development, and getting security fixes overnight afterward.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralZod
    Hopefully the modularisation of X will prevent this kind of thing.

I remember a post on slashdot during one of Microsoft's "Patch Tuesday"s where in response to a 15MB patch from MS, some idiot gloated "As a Linux user, I'm glad I don't have to put up with this!". It really put just how bad Linux's "patching" system is into perspective, especially for a dial-up user which, we must remember, is still the most prevalent form of internet connectivity in developing nations. There's no way my mum would have been able to download this much, and she would still be vulnerable. Kernel & KDE "patches" are another huge source of bandwidth drain.

Does anyone know if Debian is going to be adopting a "binary-diff"-style manner of patching? I gather SUSE 9.3 either has it working or is working on it. If not, I'll go file a bug report
    SuSE's deltarpms work very beautifully... Firefox patches are usually <100KB long.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mtron
    just turned on the update manager today, and it seems that there are 101 available updates for hoary (totalling ca 100 MB) coming in over security.ubuntu.com mainly affecting the xserver.
    Times like these are when my cable internet service pays for itself.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Are these actually security updates? I don't know if they are, but remember that regular program updates happen that way too.

That's one important difference between updating Windows/Linux: When you reinstall Windows, and you have to download 100 or 200 or whatever MB of "patches", they, by and large, really are security patches, not adding new features. I can't count the number of times I've "prevented a remote attacker from gaining control of my computer." (paraphrased)

When you install Ubuntu, you're updating all your software to latest version, regardless of whether those new versions are mere security updates or true updates to the programs to change or add functionality.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFox503
    Are these actually security updates? I don't know if they are, but remember that regular program updates happen that way too.

When you install Ubuntu, you're updating all your software to latest version, regardless of whether those new versions are mere security updates or true updates to the programs to change or add functionality.
    Read the link in the first post; these are indeed security updates

Also, Ubuntu has a policy of freezing all packages a short while prior to release and not updating any of these packages except for security issues and serious bugs (is this correct...?), which is why backports was formed. So probably the vast majority of updates you'd download are for security and contain no new features, although if you have backports enabled, you'll have a few new toys to look forward to
    Last edited by GeneralZod; September 14th, 2005 at 08:11 AM.

Beans

Hehe, whoops. Ok, I'll admit it, I didn't even click the article link the first time. But I can still comment, right? Just like slashdot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12