Thread: ati radeon 9200 versus nvidia FX5200 - which best for mythbuntu?

Beans

ati radeon 9200 versus nvidia FX5200 - which best for mythbuntu?

Back in the bad old days, when I still used Win XP MCE, I had a fanless ati radeon 9220. Then MCE upped the ante from directx 8.0 to 9.0. At a stroke, the 9200 was obsolete. I then bought an fx5200 (also with 128 mg), as I still needed a fanless card.

Now I use linux on all my PCs and mythbuntu for my media centre. So I could use either card but up til now have only used the fx5200. I am building a second box and need to make a decision about which card should I use in my primary box. Is the fx5200 a better card overall than the 9200 for mythtv - or rather I guess, which is the best card/driver combination?

I have read other threads but they are not specifically for mythtv/mythbuntu...

Thanks

Richard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ati radeon 9200 versus nvidia FX5200 - which best for mythbuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by arjay1 View Post
    Back in the bad old days, when I still used Win XP MCE, I had a fanless ati radeon 9220. Then MCE upped the ante from directx 8.0 to 9.0. At a stroke, the 9200 was obsolete. I then bought an fx5200 (also with 128 mg), as I still needed a fanless card.

Now I use linux on all my PCs and mythbuntu for my media centre. So I could use either card but up til now have only used the fx5200. I am building a second box and need to make a decision about which card should I use in my primary box. Is the fx5200 a better card overall than the 9200 for mythtv - or rather I guess, which is the best card/driver combination?

I have read other threads but they are not specifically for mythtv/mythbuntu...

Thanks

Richard
    The nvidia cards are a little easier to configure for tv out and support opengl vsync, whereas the ati cards take a little extra effort. I'd keep the fx5200 in your primary box, and drop the 9200 in the secondary. If the 9200 doesn't work out too well for you, move to a new card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I had alot of trouble with the 9550. Learned to kinda stay away from ATI with Ubuntu.

Beans

Thanks folks - that will do me nicely: the ati is relegated to Box 2.

RJ