Thread: Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ubuntu

Just a quick post just to say for the last couple of years being a Windows user and as I no longer need my PC for business use I have been round the houses of many different Linux Distros.

To be honest I tried Ubuntu about 6 months ago for about 10 mins then dumped it did not like the look or feel of it (Gnome) however just out of interest after trying several other Distos I thought I would give it another try and have to say it is the fastest OS so far obviously not including the mini editions.

As soon as I changed the fonts and the icons everything is so much nicer.

So why is the basic install just setup with basic icons and fonts not a big deal but just that I have always went for KDE as it always looks nicer, it may then appeal to users like me.

Just a suggestion and just to say it is a sh*t hot distro think i will say with this now and keep up the good work.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu

Customize away!

Ubuntu is what you make it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So why is the basic install just setup with basic icons and fonts not a big deal but just that I have always went for KDE as it always looks nicer, it may then appeal to users like me.
    Whether you like Ubuntu's default look and feel or not is a matter of personal taste. You are reasoning out of your own personal taste here.

I'm not a fan of the default brown GNOME theme, but I don't agree that Kubuntu's default KDE theme looks a lot nicer.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Did you never consider installing http://www.kubuntu.org/
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

whatever makes you happy its free man, you can make it look however you want

http://www.gnome-look.org/
    theres tons of themes there and theres always kde xfce fluxbox etc that all are differnt, play around and find one you like

((i personally love the orange and brown))

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yes I did install Kubuntu however found it a bit slower and the support is not as good a Ubuntu I know it is the same but the things at the time I wanted to change I was getting help fron Ububtu users and the instructions etc. were for Ubuntu not Kubunu, however now that I am now a bit more farmilliar with Linux I can mange most things for myself now

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You can always go doiwn stream to Mint,Klikit,Simply MEPIS,etc....
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro

Just echo'in what timboellis has said.

Having been a windows geek for a long long time, i have now made the switch (well a dual boot for the time being, until i can phase everything over!) to ubuntu 7.10 a.k.a Gutsy (Dvds,codec, camera, games etc etc)

IM LOVING IT! i feel a right beginner again (not always a bad thing) i have done a few terminal tricks and installs - WOW! and managed to get compiz fusion - emerald theme manager - VERY NICE

I cannot believe how you can customise everything! you can do what you want, or if you dont have it, grab it in a package somewhere.

I cant wait till 6 months down the line i have learnt (well have a little more knowledge) of my way around the GUI and terminal.

But top marks! watch out i'll be on the forums everyday

Top marks for ubuntu ... feels good to be breaking away from that hand pulling me back towards Microsoft.