Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: weird zsnes sound problem

Beans

Re: weird zsnes sound problem

I checked the file, and there seemed to be no option to change the sound driver. It was only a hundred lines long, and no more. Maybe my version's gimped or something....

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MEGAMANULTIMATE View Post
    I checked the file, and there seemed to be no option to change the sound driver. It was only a hundred lines long, and no more. Maybe my version's gimped or something....
    No libao then I guess.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=588744
    Pears for your heirs
    My GNU/Linux and Emulation blog.
    Resources for the nostalgic emulation enthusiast.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well, looking in zsnesl.cfg I see:
    Code:
    ;  ----
    ; -- Sound --
    ;  ----

; libAO driver to use. Use zsnes --help to see valid list.
    ; However "auto" (to automatically pick best one), and "sdl" should
    ; always be available.
    libAoDriver="auto"
    and then doing zsnes --help I get:
    Code:
    ~$ zsnes --help
    Usage : zsnes [-d,-f #, ... ] <filename.sfc>
       Eg : zsnes -s -r 2 game.sfc

-1 #/-2 #   Select Player 1/2 Input :
                    0 = None       1 = Keyboard/Gamepad
      -ad <>  Select Audio Driver :
                      auto = Automatically select output
                      null = Null output
                       nas = NAS output
                       oss = OSS audio driver output 
                      alsa = Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) output
                       esd = ESounD output
                     pulse = PulseAudio Output
                      arts = aRts output
                       sdl = Simple DirectMedia Layer output
      -dd     Disable sound SPC700/DSP emulation which also disables sound output
      -ds     Disable sound output
    etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Had to fight myself in order to minimize Chrono Trigger now, because I've been having such a good time gaming after getting rid of the sound problems! It was thanks to this thread that I sorted things out anyway, so I should tell what I did.

One week ago, I also made a thread about this problem.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=643760

At that time, I mistook SDL for causing the problem, but thanks to this thread, I was made aware of them having switched to using libao! (Yeah, the gutsy ZSNES build is compiled with libao support.) I tried a lot of output methods, alsa, oss, esd, even pulseaudio, but it kept on crackling anyway.

That was until I switched to SDL output. Playback's perfect now, and that's about freakin' time too. Don't you ever try ruining my game music appreciation again!!

Quick fix:
    Start ZSNES from a terminal with the command "zsnes -ad sdl" to select SDL audio, hopefully that'll do it.

(I should have read FranMichaels's posts more carefully before trying everything else but sdl)

Beans

Oddly enough, sdl doesn't work well for me. I switched the output to 'oss' and now it works okay...I hope everybody else will find happiness here, as well.

Beans

when i was compiling zsnes from svn i had libao support (which means it is enabled by default). perhaps this was my problem...
    Linux User #440528
    openSUSE 12.1 x86_64/KDE 4.8.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by FranMichaels View Post
    I posted something about this on my blog (which I almost never post to )

"If you experience any sound issues.

gedit ~/.zsnes/zsnesl.cfg

On line 178, change "auto" to "sdl"
    libAoDriver="sdl"

Close the file.
    The other settings can be changed from the GUI under Config -> Sound.
    48000HZ with High Quality low pass filtering (you'll notice if you have a sub-woofer.)"

Try that

P.S. This is for zsnes 1.51 compiled with libao support. There are many threads on it, or you can grab a deb. Search around. Good luck!
    I finally got fed up with the sound acting like this and was about to post a thread, but this one's still fairly new.

Anyway, when I changed the libAoDriver to sdl, the sound quality went down considerably. It wasn't choppy at all, but it was really crackly. Are there any other options, or should I just keep dealing with it?

By the way, if there're any people in the same boat as myself, another way to fix the sound is to just tap the turbo key (or whatever you want to call it, it's the "~" key for me).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by ケイト View Post
    Had to fight myself in order to minimize Chrono Trigger now, because I've been having such a good time gaming after getting rid of the sound problems! It was thanks to this thread that I sorted things out anyway, so I should tell what I did.

One week ago, I also made a thread about this problem.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=643760

At that time, I mistook SDL for causing the problem, but thanks to this thread, I was made aware of them having switched to using libao! (Yeah, the gutsy ZSNES build is compiled with libao support.) I tried a lot of output methods, alsa, oss, esd, even pulseaudio, but it kept on crackling anyway.

That was until I switched to SDL output. Playback's perfect now, and that's about freakin' time too. Don't you ever try ruining my game music appreciation again!!

Quick fix:
    Start ZSNES from a terminal with the command "zsnes -ad sdl" to select SDL audio, hopefully that'll do it.

(I should have read FranMichaels's posts more carefully before trying everything else but sdl)
    I confirm this quick fix worked beautifully on a Dell GX270 with AC97 integrated sound. Now I also cannot tear myself away from Chrono Trigger.
    Registered Linux User #447158
    You learn Something GNU every day.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The "zsnes -ad sdl" command didn't make any difference for me. What did work was editing the /.zsnes/zsnesl.cfg file so that the libAO selection line reads libAoDriver="sdl"

It could be a good idea to try the various options (see my post above) until you find one that works satisfactorily, if the methods here don't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Okay, so this is getting weird.

Yesterday starting from the command line with 'zsnes -ad sdl &' worked fine. Today the sound quality was much worse, even though I was using the same command.

So I tried 'zsnes -ad alsa &' and got excellent results. This is strange, since ALSA sounded intolerably choppy in the past.

I did a dist-upgrade last night, so maybe that's the culprit.
    Registered Linux User #447158
    You learn Something GNU every day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast