Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sketchup in Linux?

Beans

Sketchup in Linux?

I searched and couldn't find Google Sketchup for Linux. Prolly doesn't exsist. Anyways is there a linux program available that is similar to it? I'm doing basic wood working models in inch sized units.

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Sketchup in Linux?

No, there's no Linux version of sketchup and there doesn't look like there'll be one for a little bit.

Others:
    Blender 3D seems to be okay. Equinox seems quite good too, but that isn't in the Add/Remove Programs like Blender. Hope that's a step in the right direction.
    <>< <--- It's a fish

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Angry Re: Sketchup in Linux?

No sketchup for linux yet ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rfruth View Post
    No sketchup for linux yet ...
    People (me included) have been asking Google for it for at least a year now, still no progress.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by alexv305 View Post
    Any suggestions?
    I just downloaded SketchUp from Google and installed it via wine, and it worked fine. The menu bar and the "quick pick" buttons on the top of the screen, as well as the status bar on the bottom of the screen would go black frequently, but when I moused-over them, they would reappear.

Modeling a quick house went without a hitch, and the 3D rendering worked fine. I'm no expert, but the menu bar issue may not be a universal problem...but again, it wasn't that big of an issue. If you use the program enough, you will get the hotkeys down quickly enough.

So, to answer your question, my suggestion would be to install and run it using wine. Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Maybe Google intends to release a Linux friendly version of Sketchup when it releases a Linux Distribution.

Beans

I doubt that google is going to release a linux distro. This is a rumor that keeps going around. Apparently they use linux in-house, but aren't planning on releasing anything. I'd personally be interested to see what they come up with, but I doubt they're going to take such a major undertaking. Or perhaps they're using Android as a test bed for what this type of thing might look like for them.

Beans

Sketchup now seems to work OK for me using Wine 0.9.54 on 64-bit Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

sketch up was aquired by google, as was initially written by a small unknown 3rd party (i think my old man still has an old copy with the original label on it somewhere). it was never designed for linux, so a port may be REALLY difficult.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

im very suprised that there isnt something like sketchup for linux theres every thing else, open office, lmms, hydrogen etc... blender seems to be ok but i think its a bit over complicated to be honest i was going to learn it till my workload became just a bit too much and i realised that its more of a 3 D rendering tool than a design program.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast