Thread: Infraction question

Beans

Infraction question

Hey! OK, so I recently got an infraction warning for a post I made. I'm not trying to argue against the infraction, cause I did post something wrong that I shouldn't have posted, but I'd like to ask about the way the mod who gave me the infraction reacted when I tried to discuss it with him.

First off, the warning was given permanently, and I don't think it should be permanent. I tend not to do things like this often, and just saying "now you're permanently marked" is a bit unfair, imo. I'd be open to something like "if you don't get into trouble for a couple of months, then I'll remove it", but imo what happened was a bit unfair, especially since I'm new to the forums (less than a week).

Secondly, the thing I asked about was "software piracy", to an extent (I'm not going to get into the specifics), which is wrong (I am anti-software piracy except in certain circumstances, also which I'm not going to get into but which this particular case falls under). In the forum I posted the thread in (in the Wine forum), there is a post that has been stickied that suggests using cracks with Wine. This was my PM to the mod who gave me the warning and his response, which I found particularly insulting. Perhaps someone could explain to me why such an insulting response was warranted.

[quote]Sorry I won't do it again...I never pirate software if I can avoid it except in special circumstances...I'd appreciate it if you could remove my warning, but also I suggest taking a look at the "Stuff I've learned about Wine" sticky, specifically the part where it suggests using cracks...I'm not quite sure how what I said is any different from that...[quote]

I will not remove your warning and I don't appreciate you attempting to turn me against my friends who are involved with the post you mentioned.
    Cracked executable files are not a means of piracy you should really learn what you are talking about before jumping to conculsions.

Do not message me again.
    I am not going to say which mod this PM was made by because I don't want to create another issue, but I'd at least like an explanation as to why the fact that the mod and the poster of the sticky are friends was important and what the difference between a cracked program and a pirated program are (as I've always known cracks to be used to dodge CD keys or to enable no-CD for multiple installs), but I'm respecting his request of not messaging him again by asking it here. I'd also like to know if anyone else finds this response as insulting as I do, and why this mod thought this tone was warranted.

Again, I apologize for what I did and it was wrong etc., but I'd appreciate some help or explanation in this matter. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Infraction question

It was me. But thank you for being discrete, however it is not required.
    Here's the original message I received, in which you tried to instigate a mess /w my good friend cogadh about his helpful WINE thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai87
    Sorry I won't do it again...I never pirate software if I can avoid it except in special circumstances...I'd appreciate it if you could remove my warning, but also I suggest taking a look at the "Stuff I've learned about Wine" sticky, specifically the part where it suggests using cracks...I'm not quite sure how what I said is any different from that...
    A warning stands as a reminder that you've done something wrong, other users can not see this warning only forum staff. We take situations like this one as examples of your past behavior in the case of further issues /w your posts and act accordingly. Example if someone has already been warned for spamming or asking for ROMS or pirated software (info or files of this sort), we then issue an infraction based on the amount of time it's been since the original offense and other factors. If these warnings were removed someone could go on and on /w their forum account breaking the rules whenever they feel like it and none of the forum staff would know of their history. Warnings will not be removed and apologies will not be made. You signed the terms of agreement when you registered here, I suggest in the future you read things before checking similar boxes.

Anyway, as you may or may not be aware "cracked" game executables do not circumvent registry keys or anything of that sort in most cases, these are primarily used with WINE for reasons that the copy protection schemes in use make the game not function under WINE. While this is a grey area, it was decided long before you happened upon us that while we do not particularly endorse it, mention of it will be acceptable due to the nature of its use getting these games to run. We ask our members not to link to crack sites or offer any type of support that would suggest piracy, and in return they help those who without knowing of the existence of a cracked executable would never get [insert game name here] running and likely give up on WINE all together.
    Last edited by hikaricore; December 23rd, 2007 at 11:37 PM.

Beans

OK, so a couple things:

1) I was not trying to instigate anything between you and your friend or whatever. I was merely asking how cracks, which I've always known to be used to avoid having to buy software by enabling you to use full versions without licenses and stuff like that is different from pirating software. You still have not answered that question. I'm not trying to get into a confrontation, I merely want an answer. You said to "learn what you're talking about", so perhaps, as someone who obviously knows more, you should teach me. If I know more about something than someone and they make an erroneous claim, I correct them by explaining why they're wrong, not simply saying "you're wrong, now screw off". I'd appreciate similar treatment.

2) I didn't know warnings weren't publicly viewable. If that's the case, I don't mind having the warning. Feel free not to remove the warning. I'll gladly accept that I did something wrong.

3) I'd still appreciate an apology for your rude reply to my respectful (or at least intended to be respectful) message. Regardless of the way you feel about what I did, I apologized and you gave me a warning. You don't need to do more than that, and I don't appreciate your tone.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I already gave you an answer to your question which you may have missed in your haste, I'll quote myself from above your post here:

Anyway, as you may or may not be aware "cracked" game executables do not circumvent registry keys or anything of that sort in most cases, these are primarily used with WINE for reasons that the copy protection schemes in use make the game not function under WINE. While this is a grey area, it was decided long before you happened upon us that while we do not particularly endorse it, mention of it will be acceptable due to the nature of its use getting these games to run. We ask our members not to link to crack sites or offer any type of support that would suggest piracy, and in return they help those who without knowing of the existence of a cracked executable would never get [insert game name here] running and likely give up on WINE all together.
    I at no time told you to "screw off" or anything off the sort, I deal with many people monthly who like to contest their warnings and infractions.
    I will not apologize to someone who made a post which was against the rules and then questions my reasoning on it. This is not a personal attack against you so stop treating it as such.
    Last edited by hikaricore; December 23rd, 2007 at 11:52 PM.

Beans

You must have made that edit after I made my post. OK then, that's a fair enough explanation. I understand now.

I can see I'm not going to get an apology for your rude tone (I'm not asking for an apology for giving me a warning, only the way in which you gave it), so I just hope that in future you are not as rude to others as I felt you were to me. While you did not say "screw off" in so many words, by your tone I felt like that's what you were trying to say without giving me a reason to get into an all-out flame war with you. There's an old saying: Treat others as you would have yourself be treated. I'm sure if I talked to you in the same tone as you talked to me, I'd have been banned (and with good reason too!), and all I'm asking is that you apologize for that, but I can see you won't, so whatever. It's cool.

Beans

I will ask both parties to calm down .

I will look into this and come back .
    This account is not active.