Thread: MythTV with Zalman HD160 remote and LCD (noob alert)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Angry MythTV with Zalman HD160 remote and LCD (noob alert)

Hey all

Well, hardcore MS fanatic finally went to the dark side to see what the hype was about, and I must admit I´m fairly impressed

Generelly I have no problem getting everything to work as I want with help from the different forumposts etc I can find around the net, but 2 problems I just can´t get to work and it´s SO annoying

Anyways, I have thrown the MC in a Zalman HD160 casing wich both has a front LCD thingy and a remote. I´ve installed Mythbuntu and have tried several times to set the remote in the control panel where I´m told the remote should work with the "old MS MCE remote" setting should work, but no dice

Everything else is working sweet!

So does anyone has a completely noob guide how to get my remote to work because it´s quite annoying it doesn´t work, and generally the features on MythBuntu and the load time are so nice that I would rather not go back to MS MCE, but using the remote is sorta "mission critical".

Please, if anyone knows about this, keep it simple because I have not passed the "copy/paste" barrier on this Linux stuff yet (And yes I have tried searching forums and have tried several "guides" on the subject, but couldn´t find anything that worked )

Beans

Re: MythTV with Zalman HD160 remote and LCD (noob alert)

Beans
    Distro

Yeah tried that also, it gives me this error on the initial error line:

E: Couldn't find package ia32-libs

And then it sorta goes on with errors from that point, I guess the guide is good for Ubuntu, but not maybe for MythBuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Danbc View Post
    Yeah tried that also, it gives me this error on the initial error line:

E: Couldn't find package ia32-libs

And then it sorta goes on with errors from that point, I guess the guide is good for Ubuntu, but not maybe for MythBuntu?
    Any gutsy guides usable for ubuntu will be fine on mythbuntu. Remember that all of the mythbuntu packages (except the theme) are available on the gutsy repositories. That guide is just for an old ubuntu release (edgy I think it was).

Beans
    Distro

note: all the commands below are for Debian based distro
    So Ubuntu is Debian based and all Debian guides should work for Ubuntu and related or am I totally off track?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Danbc View Post
    So Ubuntu is Debian based and all Debian guides should work for Ubuntu and related or am I totally off track?
    Normally commands can work across different releases. I can tell you that there have been some fairly significant library changes across edgy,feisty,and gutsy with changing library package names, as well as changes in the functionality of such packages.

Some time back someone did bring up that irtrans stuff however. If your zalman hd160 needs to use that, then it WONT work with the MS MCE remote (unfortunately). That is a different IR software suite that doesn't mix and match with lirc well.

Sorry that's about all I can comment on it though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
    Normally commands can work across different releases. I can tell you that there have been some fairly significant library changes across edgy,feisty,and gutsy with changing library package names, as well as changes in the functionality of such packages.

Some time back someone did bring up that irtrans stuff however. If your zalman hd160 needs to use that, then it WONT work with the MS MCE remote (unfortunately). That is a different IR software suite that doesn't mix and match with lirc well.

Sorry that's about all I can comment on it though.
    Not sure why you won't say it won't work. After following the previously posted link I got mine to work.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the inputs guys

One of my former colleagues was the one who got me on Ubuntu (MythTV) because I was bitching too much about Vista MCE. He showed me a working MythTV on Zalman but on Kubuntu and told me I should install the whole thing as a old MCE remote, but since the guides doesn´t work for Mythbuntu (or doesn´t work for noobs ) I´m kinda lost, and ofc my former collegue is out of contact now But both the LCD and the remote worked on his setup.