Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do I connect functions in different files with C++?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

how do I connect functions in different files with C++?

I just started my first C++ program today, not 100% from scratch, I do have a small foundation on C.

I decided to convert a simple text game that I was working on in C to a new C++ version:
    Code:
    cybernetic_reality.c:
    /***************************************************************************
     *   Copyright (C) 2007 by Richard Belken,,,   *
     *   richard@Shade   *
     *                                                                         *
     *   This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify  *
     *   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by  *
     *   the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or     *
     *   (at your option) any later version.                                   *
     *   This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,       *
     *   but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of        *
     *   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the         *
     *   GNU General Public License for more details.                          *
     *   You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License     *
     *   along with this program; if not, write to the                         *
     *   Free Software Foundation, Inc.,                                       *
     *   59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307, USA.             *
     ***************************************************************************/

#ifdef HAVE_CONFIG_H
    #include <config.h>
    #endif

#include <iostream>
    #include <cstdlib>
    #include <unistd.h>
    #include "story.cpp"

unsigned int sleep(unsigned int seconds);

using namespace std;

int choosegame ()
    {
      int gamechoose;
      cin >> gamechoose;

if (gamechoose == 1)
    {
      prolouge();
    }

if (gamechoose == 2)
    {
      cout <<"soon... man, soon.\n";
      return 0;
    }

if (gamechoose == 3)
    {
      return 0;
    }

if (gamechoose == 4)
    {
      cout <<"CYBER REALITY: ANARCHY CHRONICLES\n";
      cout <<"Made by Richard B.\n";
      cout <<"The stories of cyber reality are C 2007 Richard Belken & Icepick studios\n";
      cout <<"The game engine however, is free to modify & redistribute.\n";
      sleep(10);
      return 0;
    }
    }
    //------------------------------------------

//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

int main ()
    {
      cout << "Welcome! This is not even the foundation of this program! 0.01!\n";
      sleep(4);
      cout << "Welcome Friend, This is cybernetic reality: Anarchy chronicles\n";
      cout <<"______________________________________________________________\n";
      cout <<"                                                              \n";
      cout <<"            1. NEW GAME                                       \n";
      cout <<"            2. CONTINUE                                       \n";
      cout <<"            3. QUIT GAME                                      \n";
      cout <<"            4. About game                                     \n";

choosegame ();
    }

Code:
    story.cpp:
    /***************************************************************************
     *   Copyright (C) 2007 by Richard Belken,,,   *
     *   richard@Shade   *
     *   This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify  *
     *   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by  *
     *   the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or     *
     *   (at your option) any later version.                                   *
     *   This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,       *
     *   but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of        *
     *   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the         *
     *   GNU General Public License for more details.                          *
     *   You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License     *
     *   along with this program; if not, write to the                         *
     *   Free Software Foundation, Inc.,                                       *
     *   59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307, USA.             *
     ***************************************************************************/

//Filename: story.c
    //This file includes the entire, effing storyline. Major spoiler warning if you havent beaten the game.

#ifdef HAVE_CONFIG_H
    #include <config.h>
    #endif

#include <iostream>
    #include <cstdlib>
    #include <unistd.h>

unsigned int sleep(unsigned int seconds);

using namespace std;

int prolouge ()
    {
    cout <<"_______PROLOUGE__________\n";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<"Our story doesnt occur too long after our present day.\n";
    cout <<"                                                      \n";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<" In the year 2030, mankind is no better off then what it is now";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<" But something ground breaking happens";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<" One man, inspired by a 31 year old anime series";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<" Invents a long eries of somewhat harmless commandable robots";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<" These are aimed at the public, so he makes sure that everything\n";
    cout <<" Goes safely.\n";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<" The robots are quite a big hit, as the concept is to battle other";
    cout <<" robots commanded by other people, usually 2 VS 2\n";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<" But his greatest mistake was the fact that he left himself \n";
    cout <<" Off guard.";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<" It was christmas eve, at the robots factory\n";
    cout <<" The factory workers were finally leaving for christmas night\n";
    cout <<" And this man was leaving too.\n";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<" But then... THEY came...";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<" THEY slaughtered the factory workers";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<" THEY slaughtered this man";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<" THEY took over.\n";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<".------.  ____   ___  ______   _____   ______   ";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<"| .____|  '  '  '  '  | || |  |  __ |  | ___ |  ";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<"| |        '  ''  '   | --.'  |  ___'  | ._ '   ";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<"| |____.    '    '    | ||'.  | |___   | | ' '  ";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<"|______|     |__|     |____|  |_____|  |_|  '_' ";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<"      | _RE_      _AL_     _I_      _TY_ |      ";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<"______________________________________________  ";
    cout <<"           ANARCHY CHRONICLES                   ";
    cout <<"______________________________________________  ";
    sleep(5);
    cout <<"This will be coming soon!";
    }
    don't mind the copyright thing, its not official since I'll probably have to change the name of the game to something else.

Anyways, according to the results that Kdevelop gave me when I tried to compile this, I'm apparently connecting the choosegame() function to the prolouge() function the wrong way... how would I do this right?
    Last edited by speedingbullet; December 23rd, 2007 at 04:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: how do I connect functions in different files with C++?

Code:
    gcc -o game story.c cybernetic_reality.c
    but if it is really C++, then change the extensions to cpp and change the command to use g++ instead of gcc.
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

that corrupted the story.cpp file....

Beans

Use code tags also, or php tags so we can read it.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

sorry about that

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by speedingbullet View Post
    that corrupted the story.cpp file....
    What do you mean "corrupted"? Did you get an error? What was the result?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I didnt get a resulting binary, so I compiled it with Kdevelop to see if it would do anything different:
    it turned the code into this:

Code:
    ELF              ?4   ?      4    ( % "    4   4?4?               4  4?4?                    ? ??  ?           ?  ????@  ?               ? ??   ?            H  H?H?              P?td?  ????<   <         Q?td                          /lib/ld-linux.so.2           GNU                    

(!
             s??K???CyIk?                ?       W                                    u       ?           ?     ?       ?      =       k      ?       I            ?     ?   @??     ?   ??     3   ???     ?   ??      libstdc++.so.6 __gmon_start__ _Jv_RegisterClasses _ZSt4cout _ZStlsISt11char_traitsIcEERSt13basic_ostreamIcT_ES5_PKc _ZNSt8ios_base4InitC1Ev _ZSt3cin _ZNSt8ios_base4InitD1Ev _ZNSirsERi __gxx_personality_v0 libm.so.6 libgcc_s.so.1 libc.so.6 _IO_stdin_used __cxa_atexit sleep __libc_start_main GLIBC_2.0 GLIBC_2.1.3 CXXABI_1.3 GLIBCXX_3.4                       ?      0   ii
       $     si	   .                  ?k   :     t)?   E      ??  @?
      ??  ??  ??   ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  ?	  ?
      U??S???    [???!  ????????t?.   ?  ?   X[???5???%??    ?%??h    ??????%??h   ??????% ?h   ??????%?h   ??????%?h    ??????%?h(   ??????%?h0   ??????%?h8   ?p????%?h@   ?`???            1?^?????PTRh?h??QVh???s????????????????U?????=l? t????$???$????u??l??ÐU?????????t?    ??t	?$?????ÐU?????E??U??}?u1?}???  u(?$p???????D$ ??D$    ?$????????ÐU???????  ?   ??????ÐU?????$p????????U?????D$???$????????$   ??????D$???$????????D$???$???p????$   ??????D$??$???P????$   ?d????D$X??$???0????$   ?D????D$???$???????$   ?$????D$???$????????$   ?????D$???$????????D$6??$????????$   ??????D$H??$????????D$???$????????$   ??????D$??$???h????D$???$???T????$   ?h????D$??$???4????D$<??$??? ????D$|??$???????$   ? ????D$???$????????$   ? ????D$???$????????$   ??????D$??$????????$   ??????D$???$????????$   ??????D$??$???l????$   ??????D$@??$???L????$   ?`????D$t??$???,????$   ?@????D$???$???????$   ? ????D$??$????????$   ? ????D$??$????????$   ??????D$D??$????????D$x??$????????D$D??$????????$   ??????D$???$???d?????U????(?E??D$?$@??Y????E???u?~????E???u ?D$Ñ?$??? ????E?    ??   ?E???u	?E?    ?o?E???ue?D$??$????????D$???$????????D$??$????????D$\??$????????$
       ??????E?    ???E??E??E??Ð?L$????q?U??Q???D$???$???c????$   ?w????D$??$???C????D$??$???/????D$\??$???????D$???$???????D$??$????????D$??$????????D$\??$????????d????    ??Y]?a?Ð???U??]Ít& ??'    U??WVS?O   ??  ???????????????????)?????t$1??E?D$?E?D$?E?$?????????9?u??[^_]Ë$Ð?U??S???????????t???????u???[]?U??S???    [??x  ?????Y[??     _______PROLOUGE__________
      Our story doesnt occur too long after our present day.

In the year 2030, mankind is no better off then what it is now  But something ground breaking happens   One man, inspired by a 31 year old anime series     Invents a long eries of somewhat harmless commandable robots    These are aimed at the public, so he makes sure that everything
      Goes safely.
         The robots are quite a big hit, as the concept is to battle other   robots commanded by other people, usually 2 VS 2
       But his greatest mistake was the fact that he left himself 
      Off guard.    It was christmas eve, at the robots factory
        The factory workers were finally leaving for christmas night
       And this man was leaving too.
      But then... THEY came...    THEY slaughtered the factory workers  THEY slaughtered this man  THEY took over.
      .------.  ____   ___  ______   _____   ______       | .____|  '  '  '  '  | || |  |  __ |  | ___ |      | |        '  ''  '   | --.'  |  ___'  | ._ '       | |____.    '    '    | ||'.  | |___   | | ' '      |______|     |__|     |____|  |_____|  |_|  '_'           | _RE_      _AL_     _I_      _TY_ |          ______________________________________________                 ANARCHY CHRONICLES                    This will be coming soon! soon... man, soon.
      CYBER REALITY: ANARCHY CHRONICLES
     Made by Richard B.
      The stories of cyber reality is C 2007 Richard Belken & Icepick studios
        The game engine however, is free to modify & redistribute.
     Welcome! This is not even the foundation of this program! 0.01!
        Welcome Friend, This is cybernetic reality: Anarchy chronicles

1. NEW GAME                                       
                 2. CONTINUE                                       
                 3. QUIT GAME                                      
                 4. About game                                     
     ;8      ????X   ????|   ????   *????   ?????   `???         zP | ???          T?E       ?   
           D   ??       ?   
           h   ??       ?   
           ?   ?\      ?   
           ?   "??       ?   
       8   ?   ???        	      ?   
       ?     ??????    ????                 ?      ?      ?      ??
       h?   h????o??   ?   ??
       Q                  ??   H            ??   ??            ???o4????o   ???o?                                                     ?        :?J?Z?j?z?????????        ?? GCC: (GNU) 4.2.1 (Ubuntu 4.2.1-5ubuntu4)  GCC: (GNU) 4.2.1 (Ubuntu 4.2.1-5ubuntu4)  GCC: (GNU) 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)  GCC: (GNU) 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)  GCC: (GNU) 4.2.1 (Ubuntu 4.2.1-5ubuntu4)  GCC: (GNU) 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)  GCC: (GNU) 4.2.1 (Ubuntu 4.2.1-5ubuntu4)      $    ?        ??"   h?           $            ?   ??           !        ?   u   _IO_stdin_used     ?        5   ?       ????    ?   ?   Y   ?   ?   l   int ?   ?   ?   ?   v   ?   ??O    ?    K   '       /build/buildd/glibc-2.6.1/build-tree/i386-libc/csu/crti.S /build/buildd/glibc-2.6.1/build-tree/glibc-2.6.1/csu GNU AS 2.18 ??    ]   ?       /build/buildd/glibc-2.6.1/build-tree/i386-libc/csu/crtn.S /build/buildd/glibc-2.6.1/build-tree/glibc-2.6.1/csu GNU AS 2.18 ?%  $ >  $ >  $ >  4 :;I?
      & I    U%    U%   #       ?
           init.c     ?    P   ?
          /build/buildd/glibc-2.6.1/build-tree/i386-libc/csu  crti.S     ??!/!=Z!gg//  h?(!/!=Z! z    P   ?
          /build/buildd/glibc-2.6.1/build-tree/i386-libc/csu  crtn.S      ?	!!!  ??!!! /build/buildd/glibc-2.6.1/build-tree/glibc-2.6.1/csu GNU C 4.2.1 (Ubuntu 4.2.1-5ubuntu4) short unsigned int short int _IO_stdin_used long long unsigned int unsigned char init.c long long int  ????    ???h?{?        ????     ?$?????         .symtab .strtab .shstrtab .interp .note.ABI-tag .gnu.hash .dynsym .dynstr .gnu.version .gnu.version_r .rel.dyn .rel.plt .init .text .fini .rodata .eh_frame_hdr .eh_frame .ctors .dtors .jcr .dynamic .got .got.plt .data .bss .comment .debug_aranges .debug_pubnames .debug_info .debug_abbrev .debug_line .debug_str .debug_ranges                                                   4?4                    #         H?H                     5         h?h  L                1   ???o   ???  0                ;         ???  ?               C         ??  Q                 K   ???o   ?                  X   ???o   4?4  `                g   	      ???                  p   	      ???  H               y         ???  0                  t         $?$  ?                          ??  ?                 ?         h?h                    ?         ???                   ?         ???  <                  ?         ??                   ?         ???                    ?         ???                    ?         ???                    ?          ?   ?                ?         ???                   ?         ???  0                 ?         ?                    ?         @?(  4                  ?              (  k                 ?              ?  P                  ?              ?  %                               
      ?                              ?  o                  "             +  -                 .     0       X  ?                 9               @                                X  G                               h$  ?  $   <         	              ?)  ?                                     4?          H?          h?          ??          ??          ?          ?          4?          ??     	     ??     
         ??          $?          ?     
         h?          ??          ??          ?          ??          ??          ??           ?          ??          ??          ?          @?                                                                                                                      !             ??            ??            ??   ??      ,   ??      :   ??      G   l?     V   $?      ]    ?     
     s   0?     
                 ??   ??      ?   ??      ?   ??      ?   ??      ?   @?     
                 ???            ???   ??    
     ?   T?E    
     (  p?     6  ??    
     >  ??     T  ??      e  ??      x   ?     ?  ?       ?  @??     ?      W      ?  ?    
     ?  ?     
     ?  "??    
     ?              ?                ??     
      h?            ?     8      ?     U  ?\   
     b      ?      ?      k      ?  ??     ?  ?      ?  ???     ?   ?       ??Z    
       (?     ??(      I      @      ?     Q  t?     ??V  (?     ??]  ??     ~  :?    
     ?  ???    
     ?  ??       init.c initfini.c crtstuff.c __CTOR_LIST__ __DTOR_LIST__ __JCR_LIST__ completed.5982 p.5980 __do_global_dtors_aux frame_dummy __CTOR_END__ __DTOR_END__ __FRAME_END__ __JCR_END__ __do_global_ctors_aux cybernetic_reality.cpp _GLOBAL__I__Z8prolougev _Z41__static_initialization_and_destruction_0ii _ZSt8__ioinit __tcf_0 _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_ __init_array_end __init_array_start _DYNAMIC data_start _ZSt3cin@@GLIBCXX_3.4 __cxa_atexit@@GLIBC_2.1.3 __libc_csu_fini _start _Z10choosegamev __gmon_start__ _Jv_RegisterClasses _fp_hw _fini _ZNSt8ios_base4InitC1Ev@@GLIBCXX_3.4 __libc_start_main@@GLIBC_2.0 _Z8prolougev _ZNSt8ios_base4InitD1Ev@@GLIBCXX_3.4 _ZStlsISt11char_traitsIcEERSt13basic_ostreamIcT_ES5_PKc@@GLIBCXX_3.4 _IO_stdin_used __data_start _ZSt4cout@@GLIBCXX_3.4 __dso_handle __libc_csu_init __bss_start _ZNSirsERi@@GLIBCXX_3.4 sleep@@GLIBC_2.0 _end _edata __gxx_personality_v0@@CXXABI_1.3 __i686.get_pc_thunk.bx main _init

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

also, I didnt want them combined as in fused, I just wanted the main file to connect to a function in story.cpp

Beans

what program do you use to write c++ apps?
    Microsoft's rein over computers will fall....eventually...i think

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

kdevelop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast