Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Ubuntu community is guilty of ignoring real problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: The Ubuntu community is guilty of ignoring real problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Pointless whining?
    exactly what i thought, honestly ive never had a problem these forums havent solved in about 20 minutes at most

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I agree with Ag ....

...I was just saying that if we concentrate on our own backyards and not Windows it would make the moderators jobs a heck of a lot easier. I understand that the moderators have to work with what they have which is given to them by Canonical or Ubuntu (I am not sure of the corporate structure.) But for volunteering your valuable time and trouble to share it with us for this OS is something that would never have gotten Ubuntu to where it is.

I just want to take this time to point out to the users (myself included) this is not WINDOWS it is UBUNTU! And to give a heart-felt thanks to these volunteers without whom I probably would have given up on Ubuntu a while back.

Just keep it on the subject guys and make the administrators on down an easier time in dealing with problems with Ubuntu ... not comparing it with Windows.

I made that mistake a few days ago and offer up my largest apologies to all who help with Ubuntu while I have a childish "fit."

May all administrators and down to users have the best of the Holidays and try to not bitch about this or that that no one on these volunteer boards can help with.

They do tell you ... to wait and think about it before putting it on your machines. Read up on Ubuntu; come to the boards and just look at some of the postings; especially those that may relate to your machine(s), et cetera. It makes a much more pleasant experience when and if you do make the plunge.

At all costs, avoid something like the childish tantrum I threw threatening to take Ubuntu off of 10 machines. Like anyone could care! The answer I got (even though mine was anything but pleasant) was pleasant and understanding. These volunteers are not perfect but since my time of using Ubuntu they sure do come close.

Again, have a very pleasant Holidays and unite behind Ubuntu let us not make the mistake of fracturing it.

Cheers,

Averagebeatboy

P.S. Use the maxim when you post: "You can catch a lot more bees with honey than you can with vinegar."
    Failure is not an option -- it comes with Windows.

Beans

Hi

This is directed at the OP and the general point of this thread.

The things you say are true. There are some general problems in the design of the system. Ubuntu as a distro is intended to make things easy for you, but in order for that to work you will need to make some concessions, and do things in the way they are provided. Ubuntu does this by preventing you from running in root, and by only using Ubuntu-approved and tested applications in the repos. This is, of course, not to say that you shouldn't experiment, or use Ubuntu for things that most Ubuntu users would not. Just keep in mind that in order to do that you will need to bypass those safegaurds put in place with the average user in mind. So don't complain too much if you get burned. Just like in the early stages of compiz and beryl development; if you break it with unstable software, you get to keep both halves. In the states case, there's plenty of other repositories other than the Ubuntu repos available.

If this still bothers you, then maybe you would like to try experimenting with other, more intermediate-user distros, maybe Debian or Gentoo. I'm sorry you're not satisfied here, but perhaps your goals are different than the Ubuntu Community's at large.

Beans

I am one of those who gave up on ubuntu and went back to windows. Everyone who tries to use ubuntu isn't interested in modifying the DNA of some slippery bug. They also get a bit tired of being flamed and put down for laying their problem out for the world to criticise and get an ignorant juvenile response.

Just maybe it is time for the powers that be to back off the mad rush to where ever they are rushing and take a look at the big picture and make what they have already released work. That is spelled "function without having to screw around with it"

When an officially supplied app doesn't work then it is as much the fault of the operating system as it is the app. Face it folks. ubuntu aint prime time ready and probably never will be. Unless you want to spend half your time fine tuning ubuntu probably isn't your best choice either. It just takes some of us longer to figure that out than others.

This board touts umpteen thousand questions and answers. What small percentage of them are really solutions to problems. Those of you with the huge bean counts that think they are really helping might do better writing tutorials if you are are knowledgeable as you think.

With that off my chest I do feel better. Have a nice Christmas.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by lost4now View Post
    Have a nice Christmas.
    Thank you, and same to you.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by lost4now View Post
    I am one of those who gave up on ubuntu and went back to windows. Everyone who tries to use ubuntu isn't interested in modifying the DNA of some slippery bug. They also get a bit tired of being flamed and put down for laying their problem out for the world to criticise and get an ignorant juvenile response.
    If you were flamed or insulted here, you should have reported it to the staff.

Just maybe it is time for the powers that be to back off the mad rush to where ever they are rushing and take a look at the big picture and make what they have already released work. That is spelled "function without having to screw around with it"
    The "powers that be"? Who would that be? The developers? What part of this alleged "big picture" do you think they are missing?

When an officially supplied app doesn't work then it is as much the fault of the operating system as it is the app. Face it folks. ubuntu aint prime time ready and probably never will be.
    Yes, I agree. But every operating system in existence has shipped with default applications that present seriously disruptive problems for users. If a bug-free OS is the criterion for "prime time ready," then I'm afraid that software in general isn't ready.

Unless you want to spend half your time fine tuning ubuntu probably isn't your best choice either. It just takes some of us longer to figure that out than others.
    Some of us simply haven't had problems that required us to fine tune our systems before it works. In my personal experience, I've had more difficulty getting things to work in Windows to my liking than I have in Linux. That's not to "criticize" your experience or "flame" you -- it's just acknowledging the obvious fact that mileage may vary.

This board touts umpteen thousand questions and answers. What small percentage of them are really solutions to problems. Those of you with the huge bean counts that think they are really helping might do better writing tutorials if you are are knowledgeable as you think.
    What makes you think anyone would read them? The vast majority of questions asked here are already well-documented in various places. People ask questions here because they're not sure what they're looking for, or don't quite understand how to use the tutorials they've read.

With that off my chest I do feel better. Have a nice Christmas.
    You too.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

*Sigh*

I have already mentioned this before, and as some people here have stated: we are doing this on our own time, free to you. There are so many questions people ask, that many people are trying to get to. Unfortunately, many of you want us fellow users to hand you the computer in perfect state on a silver platter. Not everyone's experiences will be the same, either.

The Ubuntu community is trying to devote their time to help you as much as they can...seriously, no one, to the best of my knowledge, is getting paid to help you.

This is also an open forum and despite how much you dislike it, we will have our own opinions and I personally don't care how some people feel about it. I honestly hate Windows, sorry, it is my opinion with my own reasonings and experiences with it.

Lets look at it this way, if you are devoting your time to helping others, wouldn't you want a place to talk about OTHER things besides JUST the OS? Especially if you have gotten to enjoy your fellow OS people?

I know I am guilty of being defensive of the Ubuntu OS because it was very simple for me as a previous Windows user to get to know and I love the fact that it is a free and community contributed system.

We, the community, are not the problem and very few here have the elitist issues. In my beginnings with Ubuntu 3 months ago, I cannot remember anyone being downright mean with me because I was new or anything...there were a FEW that were cranky, but it's like life. You're dealing with REAL people, not some corporate slaves purely involved in 1 aspect of the OS.
    Beginner's Team List: here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123