Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Viruses?

Beans

No Viruses?

Why doesnt linux have viruses and windows does?
    Microsoft's rein over computers will fall....eventually...i think

Beans

Re: No Viruses?

Linux has viruses, but they are not as common because the security on Linux is superior to Windows. Windows on a default install, allows the user to run in administrator mode or the root equivalent on Linux making it much easier for spyware and virii to take over the system. Linux by default prompts you to enter the root password before you install any programs, thus allowing the user to have more control over the system. Unlike Windows where any program can install without the users' consent. Not to mention, MORE computer users use Windows than Linux, thus making Windows the prime target for virii.

Beans

Actually I beleive both linux and windows has viruses but linux as significantly less viruses and I think it's also 'safer'. Anyone got some more facts about linux security to chew on ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Linux does have viruses.

They're just rare, and only are a problem if you're running the exact version of about 20 different pieces of software...Not to mention they're rare in the wild.

But, anyway. Windows viruses are much easier to write, as far as making them effective. Most people run with administrator rights on windows, so anything that the user downloads can affect any file on the system.

On linux, normal users only have rights to change the files in their home directory, so any malicious programs can only damage their home directory, not the whole system. This makes it much more secure from viruses.

Some people say its because there are fewer linux computers (and more windows computers) out there, which I wholly disagree with. There are millions of linux boxes out there, running very important stuff, and they havn't had virus issues. I don't think its because of a lack of effort on the part of virus writers.
    100 buckets of bits on the bus,
    100 buckets of bits,
    Take one down, short it to ground,
    FF buckets of bits on the bus.

Beans

Use google to find discussions and articles, this topic has been brought up many times.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10...ndows_viruses/

-NOTE The Linux distro called "Lindows" is now called Linspire.
    Last edited by LaRoza; December 22nd, 2007 at 04:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Installing wine gives the common linux user access to the hundreds of thousands of viruses that Windows users have been enjoying!

(seriously, I would be careful trying to run a Windows virus under wine... it could still mess up your home directory)

Moved to reocurring discussions.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mud.Knee.Havoc View Post
    Installing wine gives the common linux user access to the hundreds of thousands of viruses that Windows users have been enjoying!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mud.Knee.Havoc View Post

(seriously, I would be careful trying to run a Windows virus under wine... it could still mess up your home directory)
    Most viruses should mess up the registry and alter system files, so they have little impact in Wine, although you are 100% correct about the home directory getting borked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Most viruses should mess up the registry and alter system files, so they have little impact in Wine, although you are 100% correct about the home directory getting borked.
    You can't really say the Home directory, the Windows directory would be more accurate since the viruses would mostly focus on the system files and those in the C drive.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast