Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sanskrit input (Devanagari and transliteration)

Beans

Re: Sanskrit input (Devanagari and transliteration)

Hi,

It seems that something has changed in jaunty with SCIM. For example,

sudo gedit /usr/share/m17n/mdb.dir

won't bring the desired effect, because mdb.dir is not located there at all.

Did someone use this tutorial to get the promised results in jaunty?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Clark View Post
    I exited scim and did this, as described here.

"Install the Devanagari fonts package and the packages for the input method editor (SCIM):
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install ttf-devanagari-fonts scim-qtimm scim-tables-additional scim-bridge scim-m17n m17n-lib-bin
    In scim, under Hindi input, choose hi-itrans."

Without the extra configuration, there's no conflicts and scim-m17n works normally in Intrepid. Just that more awkward system that amerikannu had changed before, but its usable.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm using Debian these days more than Ubuntu and didn't catch this glitch in the Ubuntu update. I've updated the post to deal with this this new conflict, albeit with a somewhat 'dirty' fix. You should be able just to edit the hi-itrans file as above for less awkward input.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sojusnik View Post
    Hi,

It seems that something has changed in jaunty with SCIM. For example,

sudo gedit /usr/share/m17n/mdb.dir

won't bring the desired effect, because mdb.dir is not located there at all.

Did someone use this tutorial to get the promised results in jaunty?
    Hi Sojusnik and thanks for the feedback. I don't quite understand it, though, since I still see all the same files in that m17n directory. I've updated this post to deal with the conflict in Jaunty. You should still be able to set up transliteration the same way. The database file will be overwritten with m17n updates, but not the keyboard map (sa-translit.mim), so you'll just need to update the mdb.dir file after updates to m17n (and the hi-itrans file if you're using the tweaked file for nāgarī).

Beans

Arrow Re: Sanskrit input (Devanagari and transliteration)

Hi amerikannu,

I'm sorry for this false alarm.

I did a fresh jaunty installation, then followed your instruction:
    Update: Since this post was written, Ubuntu has come a long way with preconfiguring the input method editor, SCIM, for us. It is now ready to go practically out of the box. All you need to do is go to: System > Administration > Language Support, check the box for Hindi, click Apply and then select the box for Enable support to enter complex characters. Click Apply and OK. In a terminal type:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install scim-m17n
    After this step, I couldn't find any *.mim files and the file mdb.dir. So I checked the recommended packages you mentioned before and installed the following 2 packages:
    m17n-db and m17n-lib-bin
    After a restart, finally, I could find and edit *.mim files and the mdb.dir file as suggested in your great instruction.

Works great with jaunty!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sojusnik View Post
    Hi amerikannu,

I'm sorry for this false alarm.

I did a fresh jaunty installation, then followed your instruction:

After this step, I couldn't find any *.mim files and the file mdb.dir. So I checked the recommended packages you mentioned before and installed the following 2 packages:

After a restart, finally, I could find and edit *.mim files and the mdb.dir file as suggested in your great instruction.

Works great with jaunty!
    Thanks for the feedback! The packaging seems to have changed from version to version of Ubuntu, and since I just keep updating I didn't notice that. Updated the post with those packages. Thanks again!

Beans

I am new to Ubuntu and believe I have done everything right to have SCIM installed. However whenever I choose Hindi or Marathi, my keystrokes yield the following instead of valid devanagari. Not sure what is amiss.

ह न

Can somebody point me to an easy to understand documentation on how to input devanagari fonts. I was fond of Baraha on Windows. Can I get a similar method here?

Thanks
    Abhay

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by abhay.patil View Post

ह न

Abhay
    whats wrong with it. they are properly typed
    may be you are having a wrong encoding
    where are you trying to type?
    in firefox change the encoding to unicode utf-8
    View>Character Encoding>Unicode(UTF-8)

Beans

Thanks, Rahul - but the thing is I can SEE devanagari fonts allright on Web and even in a vi session on a terminal. My problem is that I can not WRITE devanagari fonts on terminal. In Openoffice, it is still different. While I can cut and paste devanagari there - it does not even show garbled text when I try to type in after changing language in SCIM. I am sure I am missing something very simple - but have no clue what it is. -Abhay
    Last edited by abhay.patil; August 12th, 2009 at 06:40 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abhay.patil View Post
    Thanks, Rahul - but the thing is I can SEE devanagari fonts allright on Web and even in a vi session on a terminal. My problem is that I can not WRITE devanagari fonts on terminal. In Openoffice, it is still different. While I can cut and paste devanagari there - it does not even show garbled text when I try to type in after changing language in SCIM. I am sure I am missing something very simple - but have no clue what it is. -Abhay
    It has started working magically!
    I am at loss what made it work. I just played with admin->language support and SCIM setup to reinstall Hindi and Marathi. SCIM is also erratic. (I am on 9.0.4). Right click sometimes does not show any language. I stated scim daemon again, and it started working. The hi-baraha I got somewhere is working like a charm. Not sure what I was missing earlier though...

Beans

Hi Amerikkanu,

I followed your directions for installing m17n (db and the lib) and proper changes to the mim fiels and the mdbḍir. Everything appears to be fine.

If I type a (ordinary unicode-8 text) document in gedit editor it looks fine. If I open the same text document in the Open Office (character set unicode utf-8, default fonts Times New Roman) then the joined consonants are separated (although with correct halants). If I change the font in the open office from Times New Roman to, say Vedana, it rectified the problem.

The problem in typing new document in devanagari in Open Office is that I do not get the (proper ligatures for the) join of consonants: they stay separated.

mr-itrans
    For example with mr-itrans I could get नास्ती by typing nAstI in gedit
    as well as in the Open Office.

mr-phonetic
    When I changed to the mr-phonetic i just could not get that स्ती (in the नास्ती): In the gedit I got something like नासती and in the Open Office I could not get anything typed after the first letter न (could not even get that to chaneg to nA) the cursor was just stuck there producing nothing of whatever I typed.

I also prefer the input method like Sanskrit in Baraha (on Windows XP).
    How do I get that for the gedit and/or Open Office (on ubuntu) ?

Thanks.

-sn

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast