View Poll Results: What do you own or have owned?

Voters
1925. You may not vote on this poll
  • ThinkPad "R" series

342 17.77%
  • ThinkPad "T" series

993 51.58%
  • ThinkPad "X" series

382 19.84%
  • ThinkPad "I" series

13 0.68%
  • ThinkPad "G" series

13 0.68%
  • ThinkPad "Z" series

39 2.03%
  • ThinkPad "S" series

34 1.77%
  • Other || I don't own one || I want to own one || I like polls

297 15.43%
  • Thinkpad "W" series

32 1.66%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 77 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread: ThinkPad Owners Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: ThinkPad Owners Thread

Just ordered the T500 with discrete graphics. I took a look at the above posts. Looks like graphics switching doesn't work with Ubuntu. Ok, but is there an easy way to configure it so that I can choose one or the other when I boot up? Also, does the 64 bit version work? Recommended or not?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by civetta View Post
    Just ordered the T500 with discrete graphics. I took a look at the above posts. Looks like graphics switching doesn't work with Ubuntu. Ok, but is there an easy way to configure it so that I can choose one or the other when I boot up? Also, does the 64 bit version work? Recommended or not?
    Hi congratulations! I've had mine for about 4 months now and growing happier with each day. It's a surprisingly good machine.

I don't think you can easily switch (you'd have to go in to the bios). The automatic switching only works in vista (not xp) AFAIK.

I also doubt it makes any big difference (in vista). I'm guessing that the motherboards come with the built-in graphics anyway - so it would be cheaper to just produce one type and add discrete graphics to some of them - and then tout this as a new feature.

Didn't try 64 bit yet. I've heard that you don't gain much in most cases. Any ideas which programs would benefit most from 64 bit?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Contemplating adding an X61t to my collection...
    Thinkpad T61p: 15.4" WUXGA Screen, Core 2 Duo T9300, 4GB DDR2, 512MB Quadro 570M, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, DVD+RW, Intel 4965AGN+Bluetooth, 9 Cell Battery
    http://blog.zachtib.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by fsando View Post
    Hi congratulations! I've had mine for about 4 months now and growing happier with each day. It's a surprisingly good machine.

I don't think you can easily switch (you'd have to go in to the bios). The automatic switching only works in vista (not xp) AFAIK.

I also doubt it makes any big difference (in vista). I'm guessing that the motherboards come with the built-in graphics anyway - so it would be cheaper to just produce one type and add discrete graphics to some of them - and then tout this as a new feature.

Didn't try 64 bit yet. I've heard that you don't gain much in most cases. Any ideas which programs would benefit most from 64 bit?
    Nice! Looking forward to its arrival, but they say it might take four weeks

As for 64 bit, I'm guessing I might see a gain when using the gimp for image manipulation. I work with big files. It can be pretty time consuming, so I'm looking for any improvements I can get. I have no previous experience with any 64 bit OS, so I'm curious to see what happens as long as it doesn't turn out to be a headache.

Beans

I recently picked up a x61 tablet for 650 dollars, I was very pleased. It's still on its way. For those who are interested, you can still get it for 800. I'm not sure why Lenovo slashed the prices so dramatically, hope there isn't something I don't know because a laptop like that (one that is both very compact and a tablet) shouldn't sell for less than 1500. I hope that Linux works well on it though, I've been reading some posts that have made me nervous but hopefully it works out in the end.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Nir Friedman View Post
    I recently picked up a x61 tablet for 650 dollars, I was very pleased. It's still on its way. For those who are interested, you can still get it for 800. I'm not sure why Lenovo slashed the prices so dramatically, hope there isn't something I don't know because a laptop like that (one that is both very compact and a tablet) shouldn't sell for less than 1500. I hope that Linux works well on it though, I've been reading some posts that have made me nervous but hopefully it works out in the end.
    I'm curious as to why it is so cheap. Possibly coming out with something new in the coming months.
    www.runtime-era.com - Blog About My Journey as a Developer

Beans

I think it might be related to that, and also perhaps having surplus of a particular configuration. Based on how the website reads, there are supposed to be options for the display (multi touch vs high resolution), battery (8 cell vs 4 cell) and chip (I've seen a variety of specs in reviews). However when you order it off lenovo's site you don't have any options in any of these categories. The only things you can control are things like hard drive and RAM.
    Also, the processor is only a 1.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo. However, as someone who was originally in the market for a 12 inch netbook (and realized that 650 dollars is barely more than most 12 inch netbooks) this seems plenty powerful to me.

Beans

I have a T40 I run OpenSUSE on. Solid as a rock.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by majabl View Post
    Watch out for the hidden partition that will have the data for you to format/reinstall XP on it, which might cause issues with your mbr! I made that mistake with my T40, so ended up forking out £20 for the recovery CDs (which don't come with T40s, from what I can gather).

I don't remember exactly what the issue is, but if you search around a bit you ought to find what you need. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=662620 might be a good starting point for you, as it seems to be for the same issue I experienced.

Anyway, happy reading, and good luck!
    thanks for that, i see we have pretty much the same machine ! mine is a 1.5ghz pentium M too. just got it today, seems like a great piece of kit for its age.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by civetta View Post
    Nice! Looking forward to its arrival, but they say it might take four weeks
    That's what it said when I ordered my ThinkPad W500, and the rep advised that they estimate four weeks but usually ship sooner. Mine arrived in just 10 days, and it was a CTO model, (customized to order). Also, apparently this was not unusual as a friend of mine then ordered one and his arrived in just twelve days. Also when I went on the site today they are now estimating just nine days. When I ordered my IdeaPad S10, it arrived in only three as it was a standard model not CTO.

Cheers...
    My Dual Boot ThinkPads... W700 ~ W500 ~ T500 ~ T60 ~ X60s

Dedicated Ubuntu Thinkpads... T400 ~ X301 ~ X200s ~ R51

Page 77 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast