Thread: [SOLVED] Just getting the thing working

Beans
    Hidden!

[SOLVED] Just getting the thing working

I have freshly installed Wine via apt-get. I have searched forums galore for anything which talked about the problem I am having. I have yet to have found anyone else with this same issue. I cannot read anything in Wine, it shows up as gibberish. Not even like a different language, but rather lines, dots and symbols. The version is 9.46, since that's what came with Gutsy. I am running on an AMD Athlon XP 2000 with 1GB RAM and over 100GB of free hard drive space (though I doubt any of those would have caused a problem like this). Based on a suggestions I found form a Wine bug report, I tried to remove TrueType font Tamil, but I couldn't find it installed on my system. Almost everything installed on this system is stock. I want to use Wine so that I can use software specific to Windows for test studying. I know there is no Linux equivalent for this software. I have attached screenshots of the Wine Config app and Notepad. As you can see, I can't read anything, but it does read what I type.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Just getting the thing working

Try deleting your ~/.wine directory.
    There is NO such thing as a humble opinion
    Remember : RUNNING UNKNOWN COMMANDS CAN DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER
    Please read and ensure you understand the entire thread before posting to avoid redundant and/or irrelevant and/or misleading posts.

Beans
    Hidden!

Just for curiosity, I upgraded to 9.51 using a .deb found at the following URL:

http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/

Works like a champ now. Strange...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That's the official Wine Debian/Ubuntu repository. If you follow the instructions here, you can set up Ubuntu to use that repository and you will always be kept up to date with the latest Wine through Ubuntu's automatic updates.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Hidden!

OMG that worked! Thanks a ton!