Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad performance while recording

Beans

Re: Bad performance while recording

Are you sure it's a hard disk problem, I have a motherboard with the same chipset 690G with the express 1250 (Biostar TA690G) and I had problems with the xv overlay not being enabled which led to bad playback when watching TV.

Running the frontend from a terminal gave me a message about no overlays found will drop frames etc....

It turns out that the fglrx drivers (as far as I'm aware - as of around November07) don't support any overlays yet as it's too new.This could be your problem, unless you know of some newer drivers that do support xv i which case I'd be keen to find out. In the end I installed a nvidia card in the computer.

Beans

I'm not sure it is the harddisk. I have been struggling with video drivers too, I still have an issue with live video overlaid in the program guide, which is garbled and misplaced. Have you tried the closed source ATI driver?

I am currenlty trying to get everything running on the realtime kernel, it meant recompilation of some extra modules that I require. I will also try the suggestion of the bitrate. Still I have the feeling that my system should be powerful enough to handle these framerates.

I also noticed that the frame skipping is not always the same. For instance, I have had times when there was hardly any skipping while watchng and recording an HD channel.

Beans

I think I should give up on this realtime kernel. As soon as I start watching something now, mythfrontend aborts. I already tried other MPEG filters, but no joy. I think I'll just revert to the standard kernel and start looking into solving the video problems.

Beans

I have reinstalled MythBuntu completely, because I kept having issues with the realtime kernel, this time with a different TV card (SkyStar DVB-S) but it has the same problem. Concerning the rate, it is DVB which directly receives and writes MPEG-2 1 to 1, so I can't crank this down. I think the chance is still big that it is caused by the SATA drive, or the ATI video driver.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

have you ensured that xv overlay is properly configured in your xorg.conf? per old notes i have from
    when i was running an ati card, i had to add the following to the "Device" section of xorg.conf for
    the video card. as i recall, ati-config was pretty dodgy generating a correct xorg.conf (not that
    nvidia is much better in that respect).

Code:
    Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
    Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    as a troubleshooting measure, you can also try running mythfrontend from a terminal window- then
    launch livetv. when the video starts, alt-tab back to your terminal window and see if it is throwing
    xv-related errors or any other errors that might help track this down.
    Last edited by majoridiot; December 20th, 2007 at 06:55 PM.

Beans

Thanks majoridiot, that was a good suggestion. It did not fix the problem (now I have no image at all), but at least we are getting some troubleshooting info now:

2007-12-20 20:15:02.334 Connecting to backend server: 127.0.0.1:6543 (try 1 of 5)
    2007-12-20 20:15:02.334 Using protocol version 31
    2007-12-20 20:15:02.347 TV: Attempting to change from None to WatchingLiveTV
    2007-12-20 20:15:02.348 Using protocol version 31
    2007-12-20 20:15:02.411 DPMS Deactivated
    2007-12-20 20:15:02.433 NVP: Disabling Audio, params(-1,2,44100)
    2007-12-20 20:15:02.445 VideoOutputXv: Physical size of display unknown.
    Assuming 17" monitor with square pixels.
    2007-12-20 20:15:02.446 VideoOutputXv: XvMCTex: Init failed
    2007-12-20 20:15:02.446 VideoOutputXv Error: Could not find suitable XVideo surface.
    2007-12-20 20:15:02.446 VideoOutputXv: Falling back to X shared memory video output.
    *** May be slow ***
    2007-12-20 20:15:02.701 Realtime priority would require SUID as root.
    2007-12-20 20:15:02.703 TV: Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
    2007-12-20 20:15:02.706 Couldn't load deinterlace filter bobdeint
    2007-12-20 20:15:02.719 Video timing method: USleep with busy wait
    2007-12-20 20:15:07.052 VideoOutputXv Error:
    * Your system is not capable of displaying the
    * full framerate at 1440x900 resolution. Frames
    * will be skipped in order to keep the audio and
    * video in sync.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I found this at another post. Good explanation of where bottlenecks can occur. It only takes one to screw up video playback.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/g...us&l=us&s=corp

Vido playback at higher resolutions can often exceed the pci bus throughput.

Try running at 640 by 480 or 800 by 600 and see what your performance is like.

Beans

OK, to me it is clear now that the frame rate problems are caused by the lack of support from the ATI drivers for XV, at least where the usage of XV by MythTV is concerned. I have installed the latest ATI Catalyst drivers (7.12), but the problems remain.

I suppose for playback Myth uses a different method, probably OpenGL, can anyone could confirm this?

Is there anyone who can report a decent frame rate for Live TV using any ATI card? I suppose the only option is wither to wait for a new driver providing better support OR a new MythTV version using something else then XV OR get an NVidia card.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

unfortunately you are discovering the same lack of support and annoyances that finally
    led me to abandoning ATI cards altogether. i fought xv and tv out for months, then
    switched to nvidia cards.

i've never been happier and had ess trouble.

you would be surprised how little money a workable nvidia card costs- i had a triple-screen rig
    running myth on third head that was driven by 2 *cheap* 5500FX cards. i never had a problem
    with dropped frames, etc. and both cards were less than $130 for the pair.

IMO, a switch to nvidia will seriously improve your quality of life

Beans

Majoridiot, I suppose you are right.

One more update: the reason I have problems getting XV to work is probably my 690G chip set, see http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Troubleshooting. I am still trying to figure out if the problem is the chipset or the ATI driver, I don't want to be stuck with the same problem with a new NVidia board on this chipset.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast