Thread: DVI to HDMI -> How can I get sound?

Beans

DVI to HDMI -> How can I get sound?

I recently setup a box to run mythbuntu on with an nvidia geforce 8500-gt and I ran a DVI to HDMI cable to my TV and then ran the analog audio out to my receiver. All was great.

However, I recently got a new receiver (Sony STR-DG810) that has multiple HDMI inputs and an HDMI output. I would love to run all of my media components through the receiver, however I can't figure out how to get audio from the computer to the receiver. When I plug in an HDMI cable it automatically ignores the analog ports associated with the component. For example, if I plug in the HDMI cable to the 'DVD' input and then plug in the analog audio cables, video is there, but I get no audio. I would assume that it does this since audio is typically carried over HDMI, but there doesn't seem to be a way to override this.

I would be open to buying another video card that supports direct HDMI out as my motherboard has an SPDIF port internally, but I would rather not buy anything else if I can get the job done with what I have.

What are other people doing to hook up their mythtv box like a regular media component via HDMI?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: DVI to HDMI -> How can I get sound?

You can try this link as another source:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/

Thanks

Beans

Re: DVI to HDMI -> How can I get sound?

Quote Originally Posted by padan View Post
    I would be open to buying another video card that supports direct HDMI out as my motherboard has an SPDIF port internally, but I would rather not buy anything else if I can get the job done with what I have.

What are other people doing to hook up their mythtv box like a regular media component via HDMI?
    I think I understand you problem. I believe part of the problem stems from the decision to use the receiver as the main switch for media sources or whther to use the Flat Panel TV.

I had to make a decision with my system, as both the Flat Panel and the receiver could do switching. I tried using the flat panel, but the switched digital audio out, from the panel, was mixed down to stereo only (presumably because it was a stereo TV), so feeding that to the surround sound receiver was no good.

I have had to compromise. I feed video direct to my flat panel, and audio direct to my receiver, and need 2 remote controls, therefore, to change sources. It's the best I can come up with.

What we really need is a separate HDMI/DVI/SPDIF/toslink switch box with full flexibility on what it switches to where.