Thread: fglrx-freebsd missing?

Beans

fglrx-freebsd missing?

I'd like to get PC-BSD on my laptop with 1680x1050 resolution on my X1600, but that's only possible with the fglrx driver. I know 3D doesn't build correctly, but all I need is the widescreen support. Since the site is down, are there any other methods of building an fglrx driver on FreeBSD?

Beans

Re: fglrx-freebsd missing?

The open source radeonhd driver works fine. It's available as a port on FreeBSD, and it's in OpenBSD-current. No 3d acceleration or even 2d acceleration yet, it's a brand new driver; but it's created with the full cooperation of ATI, so keep an eye on it. The driver works fine with my x1400. It's not perfect - fullscreen video can stutter sometimes - but for the most part, it's perfectly adequate.
    Last edited by Harpalus; December 18th, 2007 at 04:44 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Harpalus View Post
    The open source radeonhd driver works fine. It's available as a port on FreeBSD, and it's in OpenBSD-current. No 3d acceleration or even 2d acceleration yet, it's a brand new driver; but it's created with the full cooperation of ATI, so keep an eye on it. The driver works fine with my x1400. It's not perfect - fullscreen video can stutter sometimes - but for the most part, it's perfectly adequate.
    Nice. Those results are pleasant to hear especially considering the project was started in September.

Now, before I nuke a partition, is there anything special that has to be done or do I simply compile it from ports and add "radeonhd" to the xorg.conf file?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by angryfirelord View Post
    Nice. Those results are pleasant to hear especially considering the project was started in September.

Now, before I nuke a partition, is there anything special that has to be done or do I simply compile it from ports and add "radeonhd" to the xorg.conf file?
    Should be the same method you use to install any other X driver, so I'll assume that's a yes. Haven't used X11 with FreeBSD though, so no guarantees.