Thread: Best CD/DVD burner/ripper

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Best CD/DVD burner/ripper

Listen, K3b is the best CD/DVD burner/ripper in the Ubuntu repositories. I've used a bunch. You can add plugins extremely easily, and it has all kinds of great features, such as automatic and accurate CDDB lookup. In fact, when it comes to working with media such as CDs, video files, music, etc., the best applications tend to be KDE ones. I'm not trying to be a KDE fanboy here, just telling you the honest truth as I see it.

I hate it when people have problems with an application they don't know there is an alternative for. It's like telling a Windows user that Photoshop is the best and only graphics editor with allllll these wonderful features. Well, have you ever thought that maybe Paint Shop Pro would fit their needs better? I hear people complaining about things like Gaim, aMSN, etc. because it doesn't work for them. Well how come no one talks about Kopete? It's the greatest IMHO, it offers webcam support (which many people want), it supports many chat protocols...it comes default in KDE as does many other wonderful applications. Yet Gnome seems to be the only desktop enviroment that the average person wants to recognize.

Once again, I'm not trying to troll, I'm just kind of annoyed at the differences between the two and the lack of users' willingness to recognize them. I've never been able to get much done in Gnome and it makes me sad to see others trapped in the same frusterating snare.
    Last edited by Sef; December 18th, 2007 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Removed misquote

Beans

Re: Best CD/DVD burner/ripper

<removed>
    Last edited by bruce89; December 18th, 2007 at 01:25 AM.
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by lespaul_rentals View Post
    I'm just kind of annoyed at the differences between the two and the lack of users' willingness to recognize them. I've never been able to get much done in Gnome and it makes me sad to see others trapped in the same frusterating snare.
    Back when I used KDE I used the burner supplied with KDE. Now that I am using Gnome I use the one supplied with Gnome.

I can relieve your sadness. I am neither trapped nor frustatingliy ensnared. I rip my CDs, same as before. I listen to my ripped music, even on my iPod. And the music is properly looked up and annotated. Strangely enough, there was even an album recognized which I had ripped of an LP and burned to a CD some years ago.

The only thing which was out of the ordinary was getting the MP3 encoder to work with the Gnome CD ripper. But to call that even a 'challenge' would be overdoing things.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I didn't mean for this thread to be started. The mods moved my post (probably a good choice) but I did not start this thread. If you would like to discuss what I said, fine, but I won't feed the fire anymore.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lespaul_rentals View Post
    I didn't mean for this thread to be started. The mods moved my post (probably a good choice) but I did not start this thread. If you would like to discuss what I said, fine, but I won't feed the fire anymore.
    Fair enough.
    A Fedora user