Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Would you like to answer a few questions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Would you like to answer a few questions?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

If there was one thing you could tell all new Ubuntu users, what would it be?

You really do have to sit down and say "okay, for the next week I'm not going to use my Windows partition unless I literally cannot accomplish this task without it." Once you do that, you'll understand.
    +1.I actually moved my entire music to my Ubuntu partition so I would have to boot in there to listen to it
    Last edited by meindian523; September 21st, 2010 at 04:37 AM.

Beans

Tell as much as you’re willing about your “real” life — name, age, gender, location, family, religion, profession, education, hobbies, etc.
    Hodge, 30, Male, Thailand, yes, Tibetan Buddhist, IT, University Degree, Anthropology/Computers and my blog 64BitJungle.com

When and how did you become interested in computers? in Linux? in Ubuntu?
    When I was about 6 or 7 - my older brother had a Sinclair ZX81. I used to play around, and copy programs from magazines - i.e. the code was printed in the magazine/book, and I'd write and run it on the ZX81.

Do you use more that one operating system on your computer? If so, how many? and what are they?
    Ubuntu Linux, and sometimes, begrudgingly, windozzze.

Do you use more that one computer with Ubuntu? If so, How many?

nope - just my laptop

How long after using Ubuntu before you join the forum?
    about half an hour!

Do you help others? Do others help you?
    I've had so much help from posts here (thanks everyone!), and I try to reciprocate whether in the forum, or through my blog 64BitJungle.com

Are you a Linux Registered member? Are you an Ubuntu Registered member?
    Nope, 'fraid not

What distros do you regularly use?

I've used Red Hat, SuSE, and now Ubuntu, which I find by far the best.

What software do you regularly use?
    Toooo much to list - but a few include, Eclipse PDT - mostly development stuff, and the odd game

What’s your favorite application? And what is Your least favorite?

Favourite - whatever helps me get the job done well. Least favourite? Windozzze

What made you start using Ubuntu Linux?
    I wanted to use my laptop to its full potential - i.e. 64 Bit, and had absolutely no interest in installing Vista.

Have you ever introduced others to Ubuntu? And if so, how many?

Anyone who even mentions computers to me gets a lecture on the benefits of Ubuntu over windows, lol!

What would you like to see happen with Linux in the future? with Ubuntu?
    Aside from fully operable ATI drivers, I'm pretty happy. Maybe some more 64 bit support, but that's more to do with third party applications such as Eclipse than Ubuntu.

Congratulations. Now you can use your computer as it was intended!
    Last edited by hodge24; February 29th, 2008 at 02:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Tell as much as you’re willing about your “real” life — name, age, gender, location, family, religion, profession, education, hobbies, etc.
    My name is Tommy Brunn, and I'm a young lad from the cold forests of northern Sweden (no, not Switzerland!). I currently live on my own in a city called Sundsvall. I'm in my last year of the Swedish equivalent of high school, at an international social science program.

I'm not sure really. I've always enjoyed using computers, but it wasn't until I was 11 or so that I really started to become interested in them. As most people, I was brought up with Windows, and barely knew that there were alternatives until I was 14 or so. Still, it took me several years before I had the courage to take Linux for a spin. I'm 17 now, and I started using Linux about a year ago. Ubuntu was my first distribution, and it's still my primary OS. I do however enjoy playing around with other distributions, but I've found that Ubuntu just works, which is what I need from my main OS.

Do you use more that one operating system on your computer? If so, how many? and what are they?
    I use Linux and Windows. I mainly keep Windows on there for Photoshop and games.

Nope. I only have one computer. However, I've been thinking about getting a laptop, and in that case I will make my desktop windows only, and my laptop Linux only.

A day or two?

I help others when I can. Sadly it's not all that often. Other people have helped me a lot though.

Yes and yes.

Only Ubuntu. But I'm constantly playing around with other distributions.

Firefox, Songbird, Pidgin, VLC, Gnome, Compiz, Bluefish, and a lot of other programs.

My favorite would probably be Pidgin. I like it way better than Windows Live Messenger. My least favorite is definitely Enlightenment.

Windows!

I've introduced plenty of people, but I haven't converted anybody. Basically everyone who I think might be able to learn Linux are gamers. I also know a lot of people who don't play games at all, whom I think Linux would be perfect for, but they're just too stupid to learn something new. I don't want to have to act as a hotline whenever they can't figure out why they can't run an .exe file.

I would love to see it grow to the point where hardware vendors started writing drivers for it.

"No, mounted harddrives don't go in /mnt, they go in /media..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

For people who are not linux registered members,please get registered at http://counter.li.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Name: Vesso (you wont be able to spell my full name anyway), 20, male, Germany. Religion: naturalistic pantheism? Profession: student; part-time programmer in a software company.

When i first met a computer, in kindergarten, i still couldn't say the word. I got interested in Linux about 1,5 years ago. Before that i hated Linux in the gut.

Right now i have only one OS: Gentoo. No Windows for 6 months. Sadly, my workplace is with Vista.

I don't have a PC with Ubuntu right now!

1 month.

I try to help by sharing my humble knowledge. The help from others is why i like Linux and the community.

Linux user #442164. But i see no point?

Gentoo.

Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin, MPD, Eclipse, *term.

Don't know really... nethack? Least fav is... um... no idea.

Peer pressure. o_O My friends were doing it, so i jumped on the Ubuntu bandwagon... only i stayed!

Made my dad install it. Tried to spark interest in a friend, but he is an oblivious Mac fanboy.

Listen to the people, hear what they want improved and HOW!

When booting into Ubuntu, forget everything you "learned" about computers with Windows. Then it will be amazing!
    make install - not war!

Oh hai!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345