Page 544 of 559 FirstFirst ... 44444494534542543544545546554 ... LastLast
Results 5,431 to 5,440 of 5583

Thread: Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: what made you decide to use ubuntu?

Because on Linux flash videos @480p can eat 100% of a dual-core CPU and still stutter. Mystery solved?
    REALLY agree with you.

Beans

Re: If you have Windows XP, why do you use linux?

I use Ubuntu because I hate blue screens, and because any unix is 10 time more poweful than any MS operating system.

Beans

Re: Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

I have a laptop and a netbook running xp, they work fine but the browsers are dropping support for xp so I would have to upgrade the OS, new windows versions may not be compatible with the hardware...and I would need to replace a lot of software. Ubuntu saved me the expense and aggravation. And it works faster and more reliably than Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I still dual-boot because no matter how perfect Linux is, Windows can do some things better than Linux. I use Windows once in a week. I'm in the music biz and LMMS is definitely not an alternative to FL Studio (It's the worst software I ever used on Linux).

Here are the reasons I choose Linux over Windows:

-Freedom: It gives me control over my PC.
    -It's Free: Every time a new release comes out, I don't have to empty my wallet.
    -No Drivers: I don't have to waste my time hunting for drivers, which, at times, only destroys my Computer.
    -No Virus: Linux is really stable and it doesn't bother me about Turning the Firewall On or installing Security Updates which automatically reboot my computer.
    -UbuntuForums: I love UbuntuForums, it truly is the greatest forum that exists on Planet Earth.
    -Windows Bulls**t: Bing, MSN Messenger, Windows Media Player, INTERNET EXPLORER, etc.
    -The Blue Screen of Death: This used to be the thing that welcomed me to my PC.
    -Desktop Environments: Windows users don't even know what DEs are.
    -Customization!

Beans

To quote one of my favorite singers:
    "Never mind I'll find, an OS like you, oo
    Have nothing but speed against you, too
    Don't forget me, you begged,
    so I VM-ed instead
    Sometimes it lasts, hardware, but sometimes it crashes instead..."

Or one of my less favorite singers:
    "You may be bigger than me,
    richer than me,
    and some more tech support than me,
    but you ain't on Linux with me."

Did I say too much?

Beans

I don't think I can completely ditch Windows (since I still need it for gaming, and I vastly prefer the Adobe suite over open source software) but having a Linux system really makes me feel more at home.

I don't have to worry about licences or malware, which is a definite plus. I also really like Ubuntu's UI over Windows 7, and Windows 7 used to be my favourite operating system of all time.

The only downside I can see is an increased reliance on terminal commands. After using Windows for 12 years (since I was 7! ) it's pretty awkward for me to actually use the terminal.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sugiura Ayano View Post
    The only downside I can see is an increased reliance on terminal commands. After using Windows for 12 years (since I was 7! ) it's pretty awkward for me to actually use the terminal.
    GUI for everything is an outdated philosophy. With the advent of PowerShell command line in Windows is now used more often than ever before (among those who need fast, efficient and flexible solutions to routine tasks).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Because on Linux flash videos @480p can eat 100% of a dual-core CPU and still stutter. Mystery solved?
    That's a problem with the flash plugin not Linux.

It is a waste of time to use flash to play videos anyway. Much easier and better to download the videos directly (I used to use Downloadhelper, now I use jDownloader) and then you can play them at will from your hard ware using an efficient player like VLC. In addition, you get to keep the videos you like so you can watch them when internet goes off line or slow. Thanks to jdownloader, I get to download webm directly from youtube and all is great.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    Well it *is* a problem *for* Linux if this turns people away from Linux.

The good thing is that the dominance of Flash is getting weaker and weaker as HTML5 continues to mature.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post

It is a waste of time to use flash to play videos anyway.
    Now you just need to explain this to all non-geek end users. I guess there's at least a billion of them in the world so good luck. :)

Whether we like it or not, Flash is here to stay. FOSS alternatives to Adobe Flash Player need to be developed but there's little progress in this direction because Adobe hates the idea behind FOSS and FOSS community hates Adobe. In the end everyone loses and the problem with flash support is perpetuated.
    Last edited by prodigy_; May 23rd, 2013 at 04:36 PM.

Page 544 of 559 FirstFirst ... 44444494534542543544545546554 ... LastLast