Page 39 of 559 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139539 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

Beans

Re: If you have Windows XP, why do you use linux?

I dont think I'll ever completely give up on Windows because I really like playing CS:S and I make music (Cubase is so sweet!). But for day to day use, I think Kubuntu is a lot better. I also just really want to learn all the command line stuff because I do webdesign and most webservers use *nix.

Do you guys think that because of MAC switching to a *nix based system with OSX that there will be more Game support for Linux based systems in the near future? Doesn't that make it easier to port the games? I don't really know much about programming but that seems to make sense.

Beans

Lets be honest here, Windows XP doesnt crash anywhere as badly as previous versions of Windows.
    This is a fair statement. Being that every version of windows has been unstable for me since the first release.
    IMHO, Win2K was the best version of windows. But thats just my opinion.
    Now please let me explain a few pains with WinXP just in the past few months.
    -Three months back I was dual booting so I could play GuildWars. For some reason windows stopped booting. Dont know why, all I do know was I was not messing with anything.
    -Two months back we installed a new mobo into my wifes HP. Windows frequently locked up during boot up. After making it to the desktop it seems fine.
    -Last month, my wifes HP box stopped booting. For no reason that I can find. Hardware and RAM tested fine.
    -Installed WinXP again, same problems before with system locking up on boot up. Have to manualy restart sometimes up to 3 times to make it to the desktop. Its running again. We will see how long it last....
    *BTW.. I have installed Ubuntu and Kubuntu on her system and let her play with it for about a week. -Never locks up. -Never has any problems. -Runs hell of alot faster.. Only downfall is her damn Quickcam Messenger doesnt work and she doesnt want to get a new one.

Cheers,
    Joey
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I have one PC that has XP on it. The only reason why I have it....it amuses me.

Seriously...what is more funny than a cute little green button labled "START"

I have always wondered what that meant....."START"...

Start what? A path to the nether reaches of the despondent region known as hell. From which there is no escape and purgatory is not an option. Where the very confines smothers my soul, help, I can't breathe, you MUST do it this way or else you will get the BSOD!

XP makes me laugh, and is my constant reminder of how things were once in my life. XP had me believing that this was the way my life was going to be. It had me afraid, very afraid, it made sure that I would never forsake my green "START".

Then one day the ceilings of hell cracked, the light, it was so bright, I had basked in the darkness, this never ending torment, long arduous days, nights of sleeplessness. This light hurt my eyes so very much, I was terrified, so terrified I almost pee'd myself. Then a calmness overtook me, for 35 minutes, I was paralyzed with fear from this light, but the calm, it was so quick, so true, it was then I knew that the light was going to get me out of the wasteland I had delved into since 1995. 10 freakin years I rotted in that hole, 10 years is a lifetime. But now, this light, set me free. On the screen the light shined bright....in white letters framed in hues of brown....UBUNTU....

I sit here now, looking over at that box now, the one sole place where I know hell resides, and I laugh. That green "START" button will no longer be "STARTING" my days off bad. I have reached a place better than Nirvana, Paradise, Utopia, Atlantis, I have reached UBUNTU....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

My main reason for dualbooting Linux was to get to know the OS I would invariably use to run my (future) personal webservers. I don't trust Windows enough for that, even if I rarely have problems with XP (and most of those are memory-related anyway - it's never crashed once, even though I did need to format the HDD and reinstall Windows in late 2003). My reasons for staying with/continuing to use XP have more to do with the fact that I do a lot of video work and I find Premiere and Photoshop much easier to deal with at the moment (especially since I can't intensively use Cinelerra until I get that USB 2.0 card in so my external HDD can work at full speed, and I find Photoshop's interface is more intuitive for me than the GIMP's is). VirtualDubMod has no proper replacement, the Linux port of Avisynth is still in the extreme alpha stage last time I checked, and MeGUI doesn't compile under Mono yet (if I remember that thread on doom9 correctly) which further cuts into it. If MeGUI could compile correctly, then I probably would stop using Windows to do my AVC encoding - I'd very much like to get .NET off of my computer as quickly as possible.

For everything else, Linux is great, and I like how customizable it is. apt-get and wget are just plain addicting (to the point that I actually went and got the Win32 version of wget for when I'm under XP). When the time comes that XP finally can't support the hardware anymore, I'll move to Linux primarily so I can make the most out of the current hardware, since I'm not touching Vista with a hundred-foot pole ('trusted computing', my foot; even if that's not true for Vista, I'm sick of the bloat). By that time, the other things might very well have evaporated, or at the very least I'll have finally figured out how to set up and use Wine correctly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I dual boot with WinXP. I'm simply curious over linux. I like learning it, it's very cool.
    Besides, I'm interested in programming, web development. I really do have to know linux if I, let's say, wanna have a server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hi to All!

I'm using dual boot Ubuntu with WinXP.
    Windows for Flight Simulator 2004, Ubuntu for everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicedbread
    "...So what are the advantages of l using linux over xp?"
    Have you ever seen a great forum like this in Windows world? (windowsforums.org? )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

People,
    I think that Linux an alternative, not a replacement for Window XP. If you like XP, then don't switch to linux.

Please read this article,

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Regards,
    JCY

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

In linux, I don't have to use pirated software. That's one reason. And in windows you have to struggle with all the proprietary software that wants to rule your computer. Besides linux is new to me. 1000 times more fun. I tried ubuntu in vmware (pirated of course) for ten minutes, and I just decided to get rid of windows. I had never seen any linux before that. So here I am. And I feel better than I did. Not because I'm not pirating *THAT* much, but because the whole thing is a really good, really clean, good thing. I think Microsoft is kind of SATAN, while linux is CHRIST. And I'm not christian. Lik ethe people you can listen to on streamtuner, they're WAY OUT!
    Heineken? **** that ****! Pabst Blue Ribbon!

Beans

I work in XP, but play with linux. I would like to understand more deeply the PC and OS. And I like problem solving... I even can not understand how people can do work with linux, it is a pemanent problem-solving, and when in serious work, one have no time to look in google and forums for days to find the solution for the next linux problem. But for a fun, it is acceptable...

Page 39 of 559 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139539 ... LastLast