Page 469 of 559 FirstFirst ... 369419459467468469470471479519 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,690 of 5583

Thread: Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: If you have Windows XP, why do you use linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Slicedbread View Post
    Basically I dont see any advantages to using linux over windows xp, Im dual booting windows and ubuntu. Ubuntu is nice and all but I dont see anything that would make me prefer it over windows.The only thing i have been using ubuntu for is web browsing playing music/movies (cant play games) which I can do better/hassle free in windows.

So what are the advantages of l using linux over xp?

I'm working on an MS/PhD in Statistics and Engineering - Linux is the language of the trade. If they had a reliable release of SAS for linux, I'd Switch 100%..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I chose to run Ubuntu exclusively on my laptop because I noticed that I got whatever I am working on done in Windows or Ubuntu. Why bother dual booting when you can complete tasks in either OS. I am not going 100% Ubuntu on my desktop because that is my gaming rig. Ubuntu is also on there, but I don't use it as much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

I first tried Linux of various distro's 7 years ago. Later I stuck with Ubuntu and each version only gets better. My audio comes from the SP/DIF which had to be configured...then came 9.10 and it was automatic (true PNP). Not worrying about anti virus is great. I have had to clean up several machines at work that were infected with "Anti-Virus 2009"

You cant compare the eye-candy between windows & Linux. Compiz blows everything else away. The screensavers are top notch in Linux (my fav's are "Hufo's Tunnel & Lattice)

I still boot to XP, but rarely. A couple of issues I have are finding the best scanner and software comparable to Paper-Port.

They say that Ubuntu is free but it still cost me 25 cents for a blank CD.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Smittysmit View Post
    I first tried Linux of various distro's 7 years ago. Later I stuck with Ubuntu and each version only gets better. My audio comes from the SP/DIF which had to be configured...then came 9.10 and it was automatic (true PNP). Not worrying about anti virus is great. I have had to clean up several machines at work that were infected with "Anti-Virus 2009"

You cant compare the eye-candy between windows & Linux. Compiz blows everything else away. The screensavers are top notch in Linux (my fav's are "Hufo's Tunnel & Lattice)

I still boot to XP, but rarely. A couple of issues I have are finding the best scanner and software comparable to Paper-Port.

They say that Ubuntu is free but it still cost me 25 cents for a blank CD.
    I find that most computers have some cost associated with them too.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Smittysmit View Post
    You cant compare the eye-candy between windows & Linux. Compiz blows everything else away.
    It also blows your performance away. Windows 7 actually combines eye candy with functionality, and strikes a nice balance. Compiz, when I first installed it, was really cool -- for a few hours, and then I started to turn off more and more of the eye candy. I was smitten by the cube and used it for a few weeks, until I realised that I am far more productive (work flow, etc.) with a second monitor, so that went too. Compiz is great for Youtube videos, but of limited value in a non-hobbyist setting.

Looking at the GUI design of Mac and Windows, compared to the various Linux offerings, shows, at least to me, that they were and are designed by professionals with access to research resources and money. I don't care all that much for either company, but sometimes having fewer cooks results in a better meal.

I use Linux on two boxes that do qualify as "desktops" in terms of usage (one of them a laptop), but I still don't see the desktop experience on par with what Apple and Microsoft offer in this segment. It's different for servers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have recently swapped over my old win xp desktop / server to xp-ubuntu dual boot with using ubuntu as the os for the server as it is much more stable, secure, configurable. My laptop is a dual boot Vista - Ubuntu, using ubuntu as much as possible when i am mobile and half the time around the house. The more I use it the harder it is to go back to Vista. Just have a few programs that I am unable to get into Ubuntu (itunes and MS Access)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by bdaman80 View Post
    I have recently swapped over my old win xp desktop / server to xp-ubuntu dual boot with using ubuntu as the os for the server as it is much more stable, secure, configurable. My laptop is a dual boot Vista - Ubuntu, using ubuntu as much as possible when i am mobile and half the time around the house. The more I use it the harder it is to go back to Vista. Just have a few programs that I am unable to get into Ubuntu (itunes and MS Access)
    Amen to the iTunes...It's silly, but no other option I know of manages podcasts on the desktop and iPod so seamlessly.

I keep a Win7 boot for iTunes, OneNote, and Matlab. I use Ubuntu primarily for writing socket programming for a class on my laptop, and my desktop is an Ubuntu machine.
    Linux is user-friendly. It just picks its users very carefully.

Beans

I know there are programs to manage ipods, such as Gtkpod. Give that a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Basically I dont see any advantages to using linux over windows xp, I dont see anything that would make me prefer it over windows.The only thing i have been using ubuntu for is web browsing playing music/movies (cant play games) which I can do better/hassle free in windows.

Speed, security, software freedom, ease of finding new programs, the linux community and its humor (thanks guys [and girls]), reliability........

Use Wine for your games

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Basically I dont see any advantages to using linux over windows xp, Im dual booting windows and ubuntu. Ubuntu is nice and all but I dont see anything that would make me prefer it over windows.The only thing i have been using ubuntu for is web browsing playing music/movies (cant play games) which I can do better/hassle free in windows.

If all you do is listen to music and play games I can see you not knowing what to do with Ubuntu. As fo me I to have the power of being able to get free software that will do any of the things that bought software will do. Also I have the power to make my computer like I like it to be. For instance if I don't like my windows manager I can log out and log back in with another that suites my needs. Also the BIG thing that I like about Ubuntu is when you plug a printer up or a Bamboo pad it just works. But with Windows you have to have a disc and then you hope it works.

You have to use Ubuntu to appreciate it. Learn some more about it and then write back.

Page 469 of 559 FirstFirst ... 369419459467468469470471479519 ... LastLast