Page 462 of 559 FirstFirst ... 362412452460461462463464472512 ... LastLast
Results 4,611 to 4,620 of 5583

Thread: Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

I have an old pc (about 3 or 4 years) and it was struggling with Windows XP. I tried to remove all the uneccessary bloatware, and defragged and all that stuff, but it still was very slow.

So I ditched XP and went for Karmic, which I am happy to say is performing much better.

Beans

I recently made the change over from Windows to Ubuntu. There were several reasons for this change:

1) I wasn't planning to shell out money for a new version of Windows.
    2) I was tired of the constant battle with virii/malware
    3) I was ready to expand my knowledge in the computer world.

But the biggest reason was...

4) I decided that I wanted to be completely legal in my dealings with software, so much so that I deleted large amounts of downloaded data and shredded well over 200 DVDs full of stuff. Every program I have now is either GPL or legally licensed/purchased. And there is a ton of programs that I haven't even begun to explore for my Ubuntu box.

All of that being said, there are some drawbacks that I have experienced. Most of the drawbacks are hardware related, but nothing that cannot be overcome with Virtualbox.

My experience with Ubuntu has gone so well that I will be reformatting the family PC to use Ubuntu as well, especially as my youngest daughter just got the PC infested with malware while researching a homework project. Hope that goes as well as my main PC has.

One last note: I haven't given up Windows completely. I still have 2 laptops running Windows that I haven't converted (yet).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by StillOnTheEdge View Post
    4) I decided that I wanted to be completely legal in my dealings with software
    Open source software runs on Windows, too. I use the same FOSS applications on my Linux boxes that I also use on my two Windows system. Except games and the OS itself, there is no commercial for-pay software on my Windows computers. If you frequently pirated software, it's no surprise you had issues with malware and viruses.

Linux is a great learning experience, though, and definitely broadens the horizon. OSes, to me, are like languages: everyone should know more than one.

I can relate to some of what you said. I used to have quite a large collection of MP3 files that I had downloaded (never downloaded pirated software, but music files I did). At some point I just deleted them all, and now I only listen to CDs I own and to the free quality music from Jamendo.com. I don't do iTunes and such.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: If you have Windows XP, why do you use linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Slicedbread View Post
    So what are the advantages of l using linux over xp?
    It is my experience that MS Windows (including XP) keeps on doing things without me wanting it...

Like this, for example: "Please insert the last disk of the multi-volume set and click OK to continue". I still don't know what my "multi-volume set" is.

Ubuntu, on the other hand, does what I want, until I want it to stop (at which point it does stop). My iMac, still with OSX "Tiger", behaves exactly the same: it does what I want, until I want it to stop.

It is only MS Windows that seems to have its own will, and I do. Not. Like. That.

I am in charge, not the OS.

In fact, In a way, I "hate" Windows.
    Registered Linux User #495429
    --
    AMD Athlon64 4000+ :: Asus A8V Deluxe :: 4 x 512 MB RAM :: Geforce 6600GT :: Xubuntu 10.04/Linux MInt 13 "Mate"/Windows XP Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: If you have Windows XP, why do you use linux?

Oh gawd! Where to start???

In Linux:
    Viruses? What are they???
    Drivers...don't need to spend another hour installing drivers
    Registry...Doesn't have one to clutter up
    Defrag...Linux is a Far better disk "Housekeeper" then Windows

I also Hated that damned Genuine Windows Registration hassle. If I change hard drive or add memory it disabled my Registration. Not so with linux...Want a bigger HD or more memory? Turn off computer, install it, fire it back up...good to go!

As Mentioned before, I also like the idea I'm not making Bill Gates any richer buying his half-assed crappy software.

Another thing...6 months after installing linux, my PC runs just as fast as it did on day one! In windows, the PC would slow to a CRAWL! I have 3 computers here, only one runs XP, and only cause some programs I use won't run on linux. 2 desktops and a laptop. the Laptop has XP. Even got the wife hooked on Ubuntu. She loves it!!
    Last edited by Diofan; November 12th, 2009 at 04:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

My reasons are simple: I can always track down the source of problems. There are very few 'mysterious problems' that don't have explanations.

With Windows, it's another story altogether. Everything is a mystery, unless application developers see fit to create an event logger (almost none do). Then even if I do figure out what the problem is, I have to reverse engineer a solution using nothing but config files and keep guessing and poking and prodding those configs until they work. Not many things annoy me more than being unsure of what's happening.
    There's no place like ~/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: If you have Windows XP, why do you use linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Slicedbread View Post
    I do like the customization of linux but the whole spyware/adware thing and viruses I have never had a problem with, as long as your not being dumb opening random exe's its pretty much non existent. In reality the spyware is a big problem only because of the fact that the average computer user is attracted to flashy things and clicks.

If it wasnt for the games I could dump windows entirely but i play games on a whim and I hate having to restart just to play it. I could get used to the complexity of it. Honestly though I dont think I will switch to full install of linux or even being first on the boot up list because of the fact that I have the exact same things on windows and linux.

To me this is the real reason that linux is not adopted by the mass public, theres really no reason to go over to linux if you have windows and a casual computer user. However I do think if you dont have an OS and dont plan on being a gamer you should use linux because it is a good system. I also think its perfect for schools/governments/large business because you wouldnt have the major problems a windows network environment has curious/dumb users.

Just install and use Wine to play games on Ubuntu (or any kind of Linux)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I dual boot Ubuntu with Windows Vista. I would about dump Windows Vista if i could run iTunes on Ubuntu for my iPod and to play music.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by McMichael96 View Post
    I dual boot Ubuntu with Windows Vista. I would about dump Windows Vista if i could run iTunes on Ubuntu for my iPod and to play music.
    I don't own an iPod, but I've heard of several apps in Linux that support iPods.

Hell even if I were on Windows I'd look for an iTunes alternative. That program pisses me off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    I don't own an iPod, but I've heard of several apps in Linux that support iPods.

Hell even if I were on Windows I'd look for an iTunes alternative. That program pisses me off.
    Likewise. Some programs do support ipods. They obviously can't support commercial features such as the itunes store and drm encrypted music.

Page 462 of 559 FirstFirst ... 362412452460461462463464472512 ... LastLast