Page 546 of 552 FirstFirst ... 46446496536544545546547548 ... LastLast
Results 5,451 to 5,460 of 5516

Thread: Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

Quote Originally Posted by ZTiger View Post
    For the sanity of us all I must do this.

I hear-by invoke Godwin's Law

Hitler would use Windows...

(If you do not under stand the humor of this statement and it's intent then I'm sorry. It's purpose is meant to kill a thread that should have died log ago. It was started in August 16th, 2005 for crying out loud.)
    I understand the humor intended, but there's no reason to kill this thread. People here are enjoying talking about why they choose Ubuntu over Windows; it's a very relevant subject in the Linux world. Besides, on a technical note...given that today, China is using its own Linux distro, it seems likely Hitler would have done similarly.

Also, that should be "hereby" and "its".

Beans

I'm a biology student and I need Perl, Python and other scripts to help me analysis data so I'm using Linux

Beans

I needed a new computer. I don't do well with Mac computers (and they're expensive). I don't like the newer Windows Vista/7/8 stuff. I was looking into trying Linux when I saw a good deal on a new desktop with good specs, with Ubuntu installed, so I ordered it. It's got enough resources to dual boot XP if I want (and may need to for some engineering programs).

Beans

can i be directed to where i can get help for installing wiin 7 on another drive for dual booting please (i am sooo green)
    I have loaded the install cd and tried to boot from cd as i would do with win but get boot manger error
    Last edited by twizter; June 28th, 2013 at 12:08 PM.

Beans

I am starting to ask myself why I chose Linux over Windows. People say "try Linux, its great". I did and I can't find answers to problems. Asked here in these forums and only got one response which didn't work. Searched and found some other suggestions but none has worked so far. To be honest, I'm a little disappointed with the Linux experience. Part of the problem for me is that a lot of people who is genuinely trying to help seem to assume that everyone already knows Linux inside out and knows how to install packages, deal with install and permissions issues, check logs and interpret messages, etc. Some people won't like me saying this but that has been my genuine experience with Linux. I will try and persist with Linux but so far it hasn't been a great experience. As a total noob with a big N, I need detailed instructions how to do things rather than "use this utility" or "install that". Perhaps there need to be a another forum for even more beginning beginners than the Absolute Beginners. Like a Total Complete Idiots forum.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jaccav View Post
    Here, there seems to be an understanding that probably 90% or better of computer users will never upgrade their operating systems or add hardware that will require driver searches, and want to use something they are used to that works out of the box.
    The closer all Linux flavors come to doing that, the more usage will grow, especially if the cost of a new machine is lower because the user isn't buying it with Windows.
    Most people don't know what advantages Windows can actually offer over Linux (or vice versa). They simply keep using whatever was pre-installed on their devices when they bought them. MS knows that so they mostly ignore Linux and focus on retaining their iron grip on OEMs.

And you can't really cure computer illiteracy with user friendliness. We need to admit that, while operating systems are friendlier than ever, the ability of regular users to perform the simplest tasks is at all time low. People tend to ignore even the obvious clues and do something completely illogical. They can read but they don't. They can think but they don't want to. They can use Google but they're too lazy.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by AxelVK View Post
    I am starting to ask myself why I chose Linux over Windows. People say "try Linux, its great". I did and I can't find answers to problems. Asked here in these forums and only got one response which didn't work. Searched and found some other suggestions but none has worked so far. To be honest, I'm a little disappointed with the Linux experience. Part of the problem for me is that a lot of people who is genuinely trying to help seem to assume that everyone already knows Linux inside out and knows how to install packages, deal with install and permissions issues, check logs and interpret messages, etc. Some people won't like me saying this but that has been my genuine experience with Linux. I will try and persist with Linux but so far it hasn't been a great experience. As a total noob with a big N, I need detailed instructions how to do things rather than "use this utility" or "install that". Perhaps there need to be a another forum for even more beginning beginners than the Absolute Beginners. Like a Total Complete Idiots forum.
    FWIW, there is and Absolute Beginners section on Ubuntu Forums.

Your concerns are understandable. Linux has a reputation as a community whose members are very technically oriented and skilled and have little patience for those without that knowledge. I haven't found that to be true of Ubuntu forums though. I've gotten help here on a number of issues--though on the other hand there have been several issues where, like you, I got little or no help. Still, I have to remind myself sometimes that the folks here are volunteers.

Also, while it can sometimes be hard to get support for Ubuntu (especially since I use a variant, not Ubuntu itself), I'm not sure I could get much better support for Windows without paying $300 for a support call.

One thing I can say with confidence is that Linux isn't for everyone. It's an enthusiast's operating system, and like an enthusiast's anything, it will have devotees who sing its praises--often exaggerating its virtues and leading some to try it and they find it isn't (for them) all it's cracked up to be. I recall years ago, this guy kept telling me how much better Linux was. I tried it and told him some of the disappointments I had with it, and he looked at me with a "Ha, gotcha!" look and said flippantly, "Well, it's not Windows." I could have strangled him. So sometimes we have to deal with people like that.

Also, switching to Linux comes with a bit of a steep initial learning curve. There are a lot of things we take for granted in
    Windows because there's no choice in the matter. Desktop environments for instance (Gnome, Xfce, etc.)--there's only one desktop environment in Windows (per version), so it never comes up--but in Linux you have to pick one, and some support questions will be desktop-environment specific. Also partitions are a bit different because there are no drive letters. And so on. I'm a Windows professional myself, and Linux took a while to get used to. It's still slightly harder to use than Windows, but I'm very glad I've expanded my knowledge into a second OS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by AxelVK View Post
    I am starting to ask myself why I chose Linux over Windows. People say "try Linux, its great". I did and I can't find answers to problems. Asked here in these forums and only got one response which didn't work. Searched and found some other suggestions but none has worked so far.
    My experience has been the exact opposite. I have to support Windows as part of my job, and it's often difficult to find answers to problems in Windows... or you find about six or seven answers without anyone definitively saying "Yes, this is confirmed to work" or "No, this is confirmed not to work." At the end of the day, though, it's really not about any platform being better or worse than another. Just use what works best for you. If Windows works better for you, use Windows. If Linux works better for you, use Linux. Or Mac. Or ChromeOS. Or FreeBSD. Or whatever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I hate to use pirated OS which leads to pirated software then slow systems due to idiotic virus protectors...

I dual boot, But do not touch Windows ... have the latest 8 installed tho'....
    I also love the customizations...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    Most people don't know what advantages Windows can actually offer over Linux (or vice versa). They simply keep using whatever was pre-installed on their devices when they bought them. MS knows that so they mostly ignore Linux and focus on retaining their iron grip on OEMs.

And you can't really cure computer illiteracy with user friendliness. We need to admit that, while operating systems are friendlier than ever, the ability of regular users to perform the simplest tasks is at all time low. People tend to ignore even the obvious clues and do something completely illogical. They can read but they don't. They can think but they don't want to. They can use Google but they're too lazy.
    @prodigy_: well said!

Actually, I intend to make a living out of my acquaintances' (and strangers') digital illiteracy.

I'm no computer wizard, but I've been using computers (Mac, PC with win then linux since 1999) during my workday since... 1989!

After some trial and error (of course), I think I learned quite a lot. I am in no way a computer engineer, but i'm computer literate and my mission is to help out all the digital iliterates out there, and to make a living out of it, too!

My biggest issue with microsoft is the fact they brainwashed people into believing their "click & play" utopian (advertising) message. There is no such thing as "click & play" - computers are like a new language, and you have to learn it or at least RTFM a bit so you can use your computer with some efficiency!

I am literally surrounded with people who bought a computer because it was affordable/fashionable/sounded like a good idea at the time - except they use less than 5% of said computer abilities!

Sad, but true.

After helping friends for free for years, I have decided it's gonna be my next job - make a living out of teaching basic computer literacy to the clueless masses.

Oh, and to clarify my message: i will teach people to use their Windows-based computers, while enjoying my linux at home!

-BM
    Last edited by Beautymist; July 1st, 2013 at 10:56 PM.

Page 546 of 552 FirstFirst ... 46446496536544545546547548 ... LastLast