Page 41 of 559 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141541 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

Beans

Re: If you have Windows XP, why do you use linux?

Quote Originally Posted by nikosft
    The advanatages of Windows over Linux for me are the following
    - Greater support for devices (Do you remember when was the first Linux distribution supporting USB?)
    -Greate variety of programs, especially programs concerinig enterprise support and businees solutions, such as CRMs
    -I am still using Windows 98 in one of my machines with full functionality and I am getting free updates . Is anybody using a 7 years old linux distribution?
    -Linux 64bit is hell! Nothing is running there
    -Greek fonts!English are nice but what about other languages....
    -To install a prgramme simple download,double click and it is ready! The same from installation way for every program.
    -Adobe Elements and for professionals Photoshop.(Have you ever tried to draw a circle in Gimp?)
    -Is really linux safer? Do you thing that if everybody starts usng linux there will be any viruses for windows and still no virus for windows
    -Is really linux needs to be restarted less time than windows?The last 3 days Ubuntu asked me 2 times to restart them, my windows mahine is running continusly, without restrart the last 10 days.
    -Microsoft Office. Much better than Openoffice. Openoffice needs a lot of cpu and memory and there is no support for collaborating work
    -Microsoft Frontpage.
    -The same programs look nicer in windows. Take as example Mozilla, Opera, Real player (espaecially the last one...)

Nevertheless I am sendin tha post from Ubuntu. Why am I using Ubuntu? To develop web services and for networking.
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10...ndows_viruses/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I just found this thread and I must say that what draws me to linux over xp (I am dual partitioned too) is that I haven't used ubuntu. I installed linux so that I could learn a new operating system and therefore, i spend a majority of me time on linux and messing with things. The one major downfall is that I can't use my printer, its just not supported at all. That would be the only time I could jump back onto XP. If I am in the mood to photoshop, I will go on there for that too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by StageMgr2Stars
    I just found this thread and I must say that what draws me to linux over xp (I am dual partitioned too) is that I haven't used ubuntu. I installed linux so that I could learn a new operating system and therefore, i spend a majority of me time on linux and messing with things. The one major downfall is that I can't use my printer, its just not supported at all. That would be the only time I could jump back onto XP. If I am in the mood to photoshop, I will go on there for that too.
    Are you sure your printer isn't supported? I use a Canon s750 which hasn't got a Linux driver, but the driver for the Canon s630 that comes with Ubuntu is good enough for most printing jobs.

Try again, it might work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by StageMgr2Stars

Well... it may not seem supported, but the beauty of Linux is that a solution can most of the times be found. I suggest you start a thread here asking for info. Or go to http://linuxprinting.org/ and search the mail archives or just post a new thread (it's a little difficult to browse and/or search).

I had this problem with my printer, a Canon pixma ip1500. But in the end it was solved, quite ellegantly, I might say.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Why do I use Linux when I have XP? Well, first of all, my partner wanted Professional (that I have) when he was on Home. Legally, I had to remove XP from my machine, which I've done. Also, after having to reformat for the 4th time in a month due to a virus that my AV didn't pick up in time, I got very frustrated. I dual booted for a few days, then realised that I didn't use Windows anymore, deleted the partition and gave my partner the XP Pro disc.

For games- I just use his computer if I want to play the Sims 2 (the only game I really play apart from SuperTux). It's such a relief being able to connect to the net without worrying about any malware, and I'm learning all the time.

Synaptic is really cool too!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Its free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Because i saw a penguin through the windows !

Beans

I installed Dapper Drake last friday just to see what it looked like and how it worked. The only time I've worked with linux was when I had suse 9.2 installed, a year ago or something. But I had some problems with software that i couldnt find/wasnt available (like usenet stuff) so i went back to Win XP.

And since that last friday, I kept on using Ubuntu. I allready changed my partition lay-out etc. cant wait for the final release. I know its still in the "testing" fase, but I got that same feeling with Win XP That could break down any minute too. (And I know how to back-up things etc. so actually there is no problem at all 4 me.)

And I have to mention that the people on linux forums are much nicer!! then the people on windows forums. Just like: when you ask/say something there they go n00bing you, only post sigh-a-like and use-google-fcs posts. On the linux forums its: ah, you're new, we will try to do our best to help you out. Great community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I personally was bored with Windows..I set up dual booting, was amazed at how much like windows ubuntu is and now im running strictly Ubuntu on my laptop. I wardrive sometimes and the programs in Linux are so much more detailed than those in Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Have you seen the retail price for a full version of WinXP Pro? ... $415 at the store I work at.

Pardon my language, but SCREW that. That's over half of the cost of a new low-cost computer.

Page 41 of 559 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141541 ... LastLast