Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Call of duty 4 3D/OpenGL issue

Beans

Re: Call of duty 4 3D/OpenGL issue

I'll write a cut & paste guide later if you like... (do check it tho...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Whenever I try to install games with Wine i go to http://www.linux-gamers.net. They have a COD4 Tutorial here: http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...age=HOWTO+COD4

Can't wait to try it myself...i need highspeed internet to download some stuff first so its going to be a few days before i can try it Parents are still running on dialdown...
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project
    My blog

Beans

This should be a straightforward way of installing a patched wine (which I assume is the problem here), just issue one line at a time:

Amd64 users should look here for a few additional steps. Basically, you'll need the extra dep's, links & ./configure options.

Clean up & get some dep's :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove wine
    rm -r ~/.wine
    sudo apt-get build-dep wine
    sudo apt-get install build-essential checkinstall
    Get wine, patch it & install it:
    Code:
    mkdir wine && cd wine
    wget http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/wine/wine-0.9.50.tar.bz2
    tar -xvjf wine-0.9.50.tar.bz2
    wget http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=8548
    cp attachment.cgi\?id\=8548 wine-0.9.50/3dmark.diff && cd wine-0.9.50
    patch -p1 < 3dmark.diff
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --enable-opengl --with-x
    make depend && make
    sudo checkinstall
    Accept the defaults, an option will come up to set a description, set one and enter, select the next default, job done - checkinstall created a .deb package, installed it and left a copy in the folder you're working in.

Set up wine:
    Code:
    wineprefixcreate
    winecfg
    Now you need to set the 'Windows Version' to XP. While you're here I recommend that you visit the drives tab and use the 'Autodetect' button, double checking your CDROM path & drive type with the 'Show Advanced' button.

Get the required DX9 dll:
    Code:
    mkdir dx9 && cd dx9
    wget http://www.m3fe.com/files/d3dx9_34.zip
    unzip d3dx9_34.zip
    mv d3dx9_34.dll ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/
    Now it's time to install COD4:
    Code:
    cd /path/to/cdrom/
    wine setup.exe
    No-dvd crack - needed to launch:
    Go to gamecopyworld & get the appropriate no-dvd/fixed exe, eg:
    Call of Duty 4 v1.0 [ENGLISH] No-DVD/Fixed EXE #2
    Make a backup of your original iw3sp.exe (location shown below) before replacing it with the fixed exe.

Launch the game:
    Code:
    cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Activision/Call\ of\ Duty\ 4\ -\ Modern\ Warfare && wine iw3sp.exe
    Once launched you'll need to reduce some graphics options to avoid glitches & improve performance. Some options don't work & some just don't look right, I recommend that you disable the following:

Anti-aliasing - Doesn't work.
    Sync Every Frame
    Shadows
    Specular Map
    Depth of Field
    Glow
    Number of Dynamic Lights
    Soften Smoke Edges - Unplayable with this option enabled.

Good luck. I hope it works for you, let us know.

PS. There seems to be little success with ATi cards atm. If you don't have any other DX9 games working with Wine, you may wish to avoid this lengthy process. If you've got the experience & get it working, please post what GPU & driver you're running, along with any deviations from my guide.
    Last edited by ahaslam; February 24th, 2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: PS. ATi

Beans

Just completed it, not a single problem throughout. It's the best game I've played on Linux, not just under wine.
    As an unexpected bonus I just found the multiplayer to work as well. The 1.4 update & punkbuster don't seem too essential.

Just as I thought it was all over, it's only just begun.

Last edited by ahaslam; January 1st, 2008 at 11:49 PM.

Beans

This is awesome stuff, I tried this game at my buddies on his Xbox 360 and I'm really thinking about getting the Dell M1330 for college. I would love to play this game (during class lol) and on campus. I'm a total noob with WINE so I'll hopefully be able to get a copy and test this install on my crappy desktop (with Ubuntu on it). The four games I hope to get on the laptop (whenever the hell I can get it...) will be: Team Fortress 2, World of Warcraft, Portal, and Call of Duty 4. If any body has had any luck with these games via WINE and the M1330, let me know please.

Beans

I am building a pc that I will put Ubuntu on it. I am so glad to see COD4 will run on this. Are there a lot of these games that will run under Linux?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jagfandaddy View Post
    Are there a lot of these games that will run under Linux?
    I know that Half-Life 2 & STALKER also work well, though FEAR & Bioshock don't even install. There's no guarantee as to what's going to work, just check linux-gamers & the wine app db.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

IMHO for games that run in Linux, Stalker was the best game for H107 and CoD4/UT3 for H207.

And of course there are games that run natively:

-Unreal Tournament 3 (official release in a few weeks, check Phoronix)
    -Doom 3
    -Quake 3, 4
    -Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
    -Ballistics
    -X3
    -Civilisation: Call to power
    -Disciples 2
    -Neverwinter Nights

Here is a list of 200+ native games. Have a look at linux-gamers and phoronix for updates.

Beans

Thanks for the reply. To be honest the last time I build a PC and installed a game was 1991. I just recieved the mobo,ps,cpu and graphics card. Boy this is going to be fun!!! The games you have mentioned will be great to start with.

Beans

Anyone think this screenshot looks familiar?
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=9699

I don't mind people using anything I've posted (it's a public forum), but saying it's from Gutsy with Wine 0.9.52 will only mislead & frustrate people. It's from Arch64 using Wine 0.9.50, the only version I currently recommend (patched of course).

On a lighter note, the game also cleanly patches to v1.4. This is not terribly important unless you fancy yourself as a sniper

PS. Only run the 1.4 patch if sniping is important to you. There are few 1.4 servers at this time, you'll need to decide between long-range accuracy & servers.
    Last edited by ahaslam; January 9th, 2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: PS

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast