Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Install SAS on Ubuntu

Beans

Install SAS on Ubuntu

Has anyone successfully installed SAS on Ubuntu? Thus far, I've tried installing the *nix version but when I try to run it, it gives an error message related to the WORK library, and fails.

I know R is a great program. Unfortunately, the data sets I have / need are SAS files, and I have no desire to figure out how to convert them -- SAS answers only, please.

Thanks!

Jake Fisher
    St. Louis, MO

Beans

Re: Install SAS on Ubuntu

As is so often the case, I've answered my own question. SAS doesn't automatically define a directory to use as the "WORK" library, so you have to define it yourself when you start the program.
    Code:
    $ sas -work /tmp
    There's more about this on the SAS support site.

I feel a bit silly posting, but hopefully this helps someone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I wouldn't say it's silly posting at all.

Thank you for posting that. I can't tell you how many times I've searched for an answer, found some forum thread that has a question but no answer just a "I fixed it".

Thanks for sharing.
    Earlycj5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Couple of people tried it at my school and that's probably as far as we got, if that far at all. SAS is pretty much the only real thing keeping me using Windows, so if your fix works, I'll be pretty excited!

Quote Originally Posted by jcfisher View Post
    Has anyone successfully installed SAS on Ubuntu? Thus far, I've tried installing the *nix version but when I try to run it, it gives an error message related to the WORK library, and fails.

Beans

well .. i have also had success install SPLUS under linux using wine. It was fu for a while although i am back to R and emacs

Beans

Glad solving my own problem could be of some use. Please note that if you do decide to install SAS, the SAS Foundation distributes a copy for *nix, which is much easier to install than trying to use the windows version and wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

This is pretty cool to know. Now if I suddenly have to go back to SAS I won't have to scrounge up windows to do it.

On a side note, there's a package in CRAN called foreign that will convert SAS data files for use in R. Not sure if it will do the exact formats you have, but it's worth a look.
    Euler_fan
    Ubuntu User # 15369 at the Ubuntu Counter Project
    Woot for GPG

Beans

Another option, which I am using, is to install qemu and set 4Gig aside for a windows image on your harddisk. I installed win2000 within that image and it runs SAS like a charm. The win2000 sessions runs in a window and writes its SAS input and output files to my normal user directory via samba file sharing.

HTH,
    Dirk

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dirkjot View Post
    Another option, which I am using, is to install qemu and set 4Gig aside for a windows image on your harddisk. I installed win2000 within that image and it runs SAS like a charm. The win2000 sessions runs in a window and writes its SAS input and output files to my normal user directory via samba file sharing.

HTH,
    Dirk
    hi dirk:

i've been coding SAS since '75 and am about to try getting wet w/ Linux but didn't want to go the RHEL or SUSE route, hence my interest in Ubuntu and/or Debian

am planning on doing something similar, i.e., run x64 linux (and 64-bit v9.2 SAS) and do XP via a VM and run 32-bit SAS from there .. as such, can you shed a bit more light (general terms) on how you use Samba from with in your VM?

thanks in advance

bill, from sacramento

out

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jcfisher View Post
    Glad solving my own problem could be of some use. Please note that if you do decide to install SAS, the SAS Foundation distributes a copy for *nix, which is much easier to install than trying to use the windows version and wine.
    hi jc:

other than the Temp directory issue, did the SAS install proper present any problems?

also - you mention the *nix version of SAS, can you elaborate (i.e., there are Unix versions and Linux versions) ... i.e., which did you use?

thanks

bill, from sacramento

out

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast