Page 100 of 102 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1013

Thread: Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller

Quote Originally Posted by llucop View Post
    Does anybody know if there is a straight forward way of upgrading a production server using 7.10 + openldap + samba, with over 50 XP clients and about 50 Karmic clients?

I would like to preserve the ldap schema (usernames + passwords as well as home drives...)

I was thinking of exporting the schema, backing up /home and fresh install, then reconfigure and import the schema back. However I've heard there are major differences in recent openldap releases.

Would I be able to simply export the usernames and then feed them back to the new server together with a random password that I could then print out and distribute to the users? Would that mess up home drive persmissions?

The reason why I'm getting rid of my old server is that it's starting to do crazy things

Any help appreciated,

TIA
    I actually have a 7.10 server performing just about the same function. Around 50 clients or so are XP but will be upgraded to Win7 in the near future. I'll be upgrading to the newest LTS release at that time and I'm afraid to say, I'll likely be re-building from scratch. I backup my home directories and the server configs nightly on that box. It has no direct access to the Internet so I have not bothered to upgrade it. Now that it is EOL'd a simple upgrade would seem problematic. In other words, my guess is that I would run into issues I could not easily solve, and it is a live production machine. So when I get the new Win7 clients, I'll be adding them to the newer LTS version with new Samba/OpenLDAP and restoring their home folders.

If you find a simple way to do this in place please let me know. I may still not want to try it though.

Spliner

Beans

Spliner, sorry for taking so long to answer, my concerns are with the ldap database, since the system authenticates users on this database, when I build the new system and copy over the database will it still allow to log in, preserver permissions for their home drives...

Beans

After upgrading samba so Win7 could log into the domain, ACLs no longer work. They work on the server, but not with samba and permissions can not be modified with windows. Anyone else who upgraded have their ACL working?

Beans

Not sure about that. That's why I was not looking forward to upgrading my 7.10 version. Instead I set one up from scratch on 8.04 with the upgraded Samba version. For the moment though, I am still running my 7.10 version on the network and it is working fine. I'm trying now to apply this guide to 10.04 LTS. I'll let everyone know how it goes when I finish it sometime this week (if I get time to finish it this week).

Spliner

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by spliner View Post
    Not sure about that. That's why I was not looking forward to upgrading my 7.10 version. Instead I set one up from scratch on 8.04 with the upgraded Samba version. For the moment though, I am still running my 7.10 version on the network and it is working fine. I'm trying now to apply this guide to 10.04 LTS. I'll let everyone know how it goes when I finish it sometime this week (if I get time to finish it this week).

Spliner
    I'll be interested to hear about your findings. 10.04 is quite different from 8.04, mainly in the LDAP section...

Beans

I'm looking to set something up like this to on 10.04 LTS for someone with about 10 XP clients, let me know how it goes. Maybe even consider posting a guide GOOD LUCK!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm also looking to do this with 10.04, but what about Samba 4 has anyone had a go?
    Regards

Dave Wynne

Beans

I have written 2 hours ago a quick tutorial to have a Primary Domain Controller with Ubuntu 10.04 with LDAP. But I'm waiting the admins to approve it.... I don't know why it's taking so long.

Beans

Watching for your new tutorial bulletxt. I have pretty much dropped anything I was doing with 8.04 and am waiting to begin on 10.04. Hopefuly they'll approve/post it soon.

Spliner

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spliner View Post
    Watching for your new tutorial bulletxt. I have pretty much dropped anything I was doing with 8.04 and am waiting to begin on 10.04. Hopefuly they'll approve/post it soon.

Spliner
    They still haven't approved it. I'm not sure what to think...... I'll post it somewhere else if Ubuntu Forum ignores me.

Page 100 of 102 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102 LastLast