Page 2 of 102 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 1013

Thread: Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    14

    Re: Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller

    Hey this was a great write up. I just wanted to point out that the /etc/ldap.conf and the /etc/ldap/ldap.conf files should probably not be the same. So copying one over the other isn't something that you need to do.

    See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=ldap, which is a thread that you reference as well.

    The /etc/ldap.conf file is what the PAM system needs to use for LDAP. Everything else uses the /etc/ldap/ldap.conf file. Its confusing and dumb, but hey its still free!

    Everything is working perfectly so far. I've only been able to test user ID creation, but if that's working I'm sure adding workstations into the domain will work just fine as well.

    I did this all remotely for a small college near me that our Chicago-LoCo is helping to convert to Ubuntu. It was only a little scary rebooting after changing the PAM files and waiting to see if I could ssh back in again. Whew!

    Thanks for a great guide. Its the best one I've found so far! This totally needs to get up in the Wiki instead of the one that's there that says something like "Don't use this its dangerous!" at the beginning of it.
    Later,
    Chadarius
    http://chadarius.com

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    886
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller

    Quote Originally Posted by Chadarius View Post
    Hey this was a great write up. I just wanted to point out that the /etc/ldap.conf and the /etc/ldap/ldap.conf files should probably not be the same. So copying one over the other isn't something that you need to do.

    See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=ldap, which is a thread that you reference as well.

    The /etc/ldap.conf file is what the PAM system needs to use for LDAP. Everything else uses the /etc/ldap/ldap.conf file. Its confusing and dumb, but hey its still free!

    Everything is working perfectly so far. I've only been able to test user ID creation, but if that's working I'm sure adding workstations into the domain will work just fine as well.

    I did this all remotely for a small college near me that our Chicago-LoCo is helping to convert to Ubuntu. It was only a little scary rebooting after changing the PAM files and waiting to see if I could ssh back in again. Whew!

    Thanks for a great guide. Its the best one I've found so far! This totally needs to get up in the Wiki instead of the one that's there that says something like "Don't use this its dangerous!" at the beginning of it.
    You're welcome

    I figured that those two files serve two different purposes but hey, it works. I'm glad that after the reboot you were still able to log in. I know how scary that can be!

    -Richard
    I use both Windows and Linux. Is that a crime? || Ubuntu User # 16597

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    5

    Re: Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller

    Hi Richard,

    I followed exactly what your configuration is.

    My configuration for the Server is
    Hostname during the configuration is dc01-tycoon
    Fully qualified domain is dc01-tycoon.chatlink.com
    Ip Address is 192.168.10.200
    Netmask is 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.10.2

    For the workstation
    Ip address is 192.168.10.20
    Netmask is 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.10.2
    DNS 192.168.10.200

    here is the error message:
    The domain name CHATLINK might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

    If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

    The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain CHATLINK:

    The error was: "This operation returned because the timeout period expired."
    (error code 0x000005B4 ERROR_TIMEOUT)

    The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.CHATLINK

    The DNS servers used by this computer for name resolution are not responding. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

    192.168.10.200

    Verify that this computer is connected to the network, that these are the correct DNS server IP addresses, and that at least one of the DNS servers is running.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    886
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller

    Quote Originally Posted by wf_k3rk View Post
    Hi Richard,

    I followed exactly what your configuration is.

    My configuration for the Server is
    Hostname during the configuration is dc01-tycoon
    Fully qualified domain is dc01-tycoon.chatlink.com
    Ip Address is 192.168.10.200
    Netmask is 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.10.2

    For the workstation
    Ip address is 192.168.10.20
    Netmask is 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.10.2
    DNS 192.168.10.200

    here is the error message:
    The domain name CHATLINK might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

    If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

    The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain CHATLINK:

    The error was: "This operation returned because the timeout period expired."
    (error code 0x000005B4 ERROR_TIMEOUT)

    The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.CHATLINK

    The DNS servers used by this computer for name resolution are not responding. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

    192.168.10.200

    Verify that this computer is connected to the network, that these are the correct DNS server IP addresses, and that at least one of the DNS servers is running.
    Is BIND configured on the server?
    On the client open a command prompt and type "nslookup dc01-tycoon.chatlink.com" - does this resolve correctly? If not then you have a DNS issue here.

    -Richard
    I use both Windows and Linux. Is that a crime? || Ubuntu User # 16597

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    5

    Re: Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller

    Quote Originally Posted by rickyjones View Post
    Is BIND configured on the server?
    On the client open a command prompt and type "nslookup dc01-tycoon.chatlink.com" - does this resolve correctly? If not then you have a DNS issue here.

    -Richard

    Hi Richard,

    Yes I think so, I'm working on it right now. I'm going to update you soon If Im done with this.

    -Thanks
    William

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    886
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller

    Quote Originally Posted by wf_k3rk View Post
    Hi Richard,

    Yes I think so, I'm working on it right now. I'm going to update you soon If Im done with this.

    -Thanks
    William
    Please let me know when you get some more information regarding this issue.

    -Richard
    I use both Windows and Linux. Is that a crime? || Ubuntu User # 16597

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    5

    Re: Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller

    Hi,

    I am trying to follow your directions, but I have done everything up to where I run smbldap-populate -u 30000 -g 30000

    it adds a bunch of stuff then kicks back with the last couple of things being

    Please provide a password for the domain root:
    /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd: user root doesn't exist

    Any ideas on how to get past this?

    BTW Fresh Gutsy Server Install
    Last edited by misilot; January 8th, 2008 at 02:24 AM. Reason: forgot stuff

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    5

    Re: Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller

    Quote Originally Posted by rickyjones View Post
    Please let me know when you get some more information regarding this issue.

    -Richard
    Hi Richard,

    It's working now, I've seen my error. I just need to define the IP in my WINS configuration on the client PC. All are set and working.

    Thanks,

    William

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    5

    Re: Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller

    Quote Originally Posted by misilot View Post
    Hi,

    I am trying to follow your directions, but I have done everything up to where I run smbldap-populate -u 30000 -g 30000

    it adds a bunch of stuff then kicks back with the last couple of things being

    Please provide a password for the domain root:
    /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd: user root doesn't exist

    Any ideas on how to get past this?

    BTW Fresh Gutsy Server Install
    Hi there,

    I have this error before, just try to re-configure your samba. Check it clearly and you will see what error you have.


    William

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    886
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller

    Quote Originally Posted by misilot View Post
    Hi,

    I am trying to follow your directions, but I have done everything up to where I run smbldap-populate -u 30000 -g 30000

    it adds a bunch of stuff then kicks back with the last couple of things being

    Please provide a password for the domain root:
    /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd: user root doesn't exist

    Any ideas on how to get past this?

    BTW Fresh Gutsy Server Install
    Did you skip any steps when following the guide? What exactly did it spit out? The SMBLDAP-TOOLS will add that user among others to the LDAP directory. It sounds like it failed to add it to the directory which usually results from a misconfiguration in the configuration file.

    Is there any way that you can get that output?

    Thanks,

    -Richard
    I use both Windows and Linux. Is that a crime? || Ubuntu User # 16597

Page 2 of 102 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •