Thread: Refurbishing PCs with Ubuntu for Fun and Profit?

Refurbishing PCs with Ubuntu for Fun and Profit?

Hi, all. You know there're a lot of companies selling Ubuntu PCs now, like Everex, System76 and even Dell. And I know you've heard of a lot of great people refurbishing old PCs to give to nonprofits and such, and putting Ubuntu on them.

I had this crazy idea of putting the two together, and refurbishing PCs with Ubuntu in order to sell them on eBay. I must've installed Fedora and Ubuntu together like a dozen times in the past six months while playing with different settings, and I think it sounds like a fun project. Trouble is, I'm not really sure where to start. I've a vague idea that people give free hardware away on Craigslist, and I can install Ubuntu on a PC. But that's about it.

Anyone have any ideas? Are there, like, places where they talk about this kind of thing? >.> At the least it'd give me practice for helping my friends with Ubuntu, and I'd really like to try this out. So any advice or leads would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Refurbishing PCs with Ubuntu for Fun and Profit?

Can you offer support ? If not, bad idea.Try selling locally first.
    sudo nanoo nanoo klaatu verata niktu

bash: nanoo nanoo requires an argument

Beans

You would need to offer them the source code for all included programs. :\ Good luck pulling all that off APT.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maybeway36 View Post
    You would need to offer them the source code for all included programs. :\ Good luck pulling all that off APT.
    Why would he need to do that? If the customer wants the source code, he or she can apt-get source for it.
    The moon will illuminate my room and soon I'm consumed by my doom.