Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Public school computer literacy is failing us :P

Beans

Re: Public school computer literacy is failing us :P

I thought my school was bad before I read these! My school is completely based on Mac except 1 or 2 of the departments which use Windows software. Its all locked down well enough, though the admin file shares are mountable by anyone.

I have basically finished the course about a year early (HTML = teh hard) so just sit about breaking old machines with my teacher. He still wont let me bring in my LiveCDs though. For some reason Microsoft Windows has to be run on all old hardware for security reasons. :S
    Today we have 15 minutes of fame, tomorrow 15 minutes of anonymity.
    My Blog | Veza - Opensource TinyURL clone with sensible URLs

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

My school are complete idiots about computers... But at least the teacher of my LCVP class thought it was cool that I used to be able to get past the site filters, just saying "don't look at anything bad or I could be in trouble"...

Two people in my school use Linux that I know of, me and my ex-girlfriend, and guess who recommended it to her (a couple of my brother's friends used to, but they left for college)

I haven't come across a single person that knows what Linux is without me telling them (a friend of mine maybe, he's very interested in gaming, I can't remember whether I told him about it or he knew)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinX420 View Post
    The CIS teachers were hesitaint to even let me into class ... I got kicked out thou once they learned I knew how to bypass the security software on the macs. I told a couple people. They told some more, etc., etc.
    That's why they were hesitant.

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinX420 View Post
    I was "too" smart for high school. I made a deal that I'd quite and never come back. I still remember that they thought someone taught me how to do these things. nope. I learned all by myself. I basicly told them to take those degree's on the wall and burn them becuse they didnt know more then a poor white kid from the ghetto.
    What do you mean by too smart? High school (at least in the US) is more about trying out different things and seeing what you like so you can make a decision for college about what career path you want to take. I quit HS and I really wish I hadn't. I have a lot of emotional and mental health issues which makes it harder to fit into a HS environment, where as in college, it's been a lot easier for me. As for the teachers, it vastly depends upon what school you go to. You said you were from the ghetto, so did you go to a school in such an area? Such schools often times have trouble finding qualified teachers and they'll take what they can get.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think I nearly gave my tech department a heart attack in my 2 years so far in HS. Lets see:

I use Ceedo to carry all my apps on a flash drive. They flipped out when I started compiling C++ code in Dev-C++. All I was really doing was making a simple C++ program to calculate musical intervals given an input file.

I almost got 10 days detention for using the DOS shell, after It was blocked. I coded a quick Python program to take input and pass it to os.system() (Executes the DOS command), I ran ping on the network and they lost their heads. It ran in a portable install of the Python interpreter.

As far as the students I'm now regarded as "that hacker kid". Lol. And I'm expected to give free tech support, to students and the IT department.
    In Soviet Russia, cake lies you!
    My Blog | Email Me

Beans

I went through high school. Now I kinda wish I'd just started community college as a ninth grader. High school is a near complete waste of time unless you want to only take stuff like metalshop and photography. The rest of it just makes you lose faith in society. I did enjoy the elective classes I took, though.
    Last edited by sloggerkhan; December 14th, 2007 at 12:21 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234