Thread: two networks one forr host one for vm

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Exclamation two networks one forr host one for vm

i have been told that it is possible to connect to one network using a host OS and then connect to another OS using VMware or another virtual machine ap,i have both wireless and wired network cards, plus two separate networks, how could this be done, so far i can't even connect to a wired network with my card i get this with sudo lshw -C network

*-network:0 DISABLED
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: RTL8139D [Realtek] PCI 10/100BaseTX ethernet adaptor
    vendor: Hangzhou Silan Microelectronics Co., Ltd.
    physical id: 9
    bus info: pci@0000:01:09.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 01
    serial: 00:18:46:01:40:24
    size: 10MB/s
    capacity: 100MB/s
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=sc92031 driverversion=2.0c duplex=half latency=64 link=yes maxlatency=40 mingnt=20 module=sc92031 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
    *-network:1
    description: Wireless interface
    product: RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
    vendor: RaLink
    physical id: d
    bus info: pci@0000:01:0d.0
    logical name: wmaster0
    version: 00
    serial: 00:1a:70:a3:65:4c
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt61pci ip=192.168.1.34 latency=64 module=rt61pci multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

any suggestions. i see that my Ethernet card is disabled, any idea how to enable it again, i have even tried removing the wireless card. have searched but don't think anyone has tried it before,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: two networks one forr host one for vm

Quote Originally Posted by n1ght28 View Post
    i have been told that it is possible to connect to one network using a host OS and then connect to another OS using VMware or another virtual machine ap,
    I don't think you can do this with vmware. VMWare works through virtual networks that may use the hosts network interfaces. It doesn't work directly with network hardware on the host.

VMware will use the hosts network interfaces either by bridging them or with NAT. Be aware that there is (was?) a bug in vmware server that doesn't allow bridging a wireless connection. There is a work around, someone on this forum has documented it.
    Veloce
    Ubuntu 9.04 64bit on Dell Vostro 1510, Core2 Duo T8100, Nvidia 8400M , Intel 1395 Wireless.
    OK: Wireless, kvm, Canon irc2880, Synergy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

bump,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would think you can do what you wish in VMware server using the Bridged network wherein the guest gets connected directly to the network, even though its through virtual drivers.

Try it and see if it is possible to see more than one eth[n] address. This post down near the center of the first page points the way:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=574427

Good luck but do let us know how you do.
    Last edited by fjgaude; January 20th, 2008 at 04:16 PM.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q30X Intel i5-4670K 4.0GHz, SSDs, 16G RAM | Dell laptop E1505n, netbook 10n
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win8 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.