Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You can kinda apply the FOSS philosophy to a lot of other things in life...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb You can kinda apply the FOSS philosophy to a lot of other things in life...

Consider that software in general is just ideas converted into code, and now think of this situation:

You're in school and your friend is beginning to copy your answer. Most people would immediately think "wait a minute, this guy has taken what I've written and copied it!" and you'd probably try and prevent said person from copying you. However, instead of preventing that guy from copying you, tell him, "you're free to copy this, and if you see any errors or any way to shorten what I've written, let me know. If anyone else tries to copy from you, let them copy..."

See what I mean? If I then asked someone who copied from the person who copied from me whether they found any errors, I could then borrow his improved version, we would have all learnt something (i.e by reading), and we'd all have a superior answer. Of course, this obviously wouldn't work in exams, but you get the idea. Maybe if the education system could encourage this, we'd all learn something new...

I guess essentially what I'm saying is that multiple minds are better than one...

Anyway, that'll be my late-night ramblings for you all.
    Last edited by Mazza558; December 11th, 2007 at 01:07 AM.
    Laptop: Inspiron 1501 - AMD64 (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, 120 GB HDD, ATI 1150. Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty testing.
    Beginner's Guide to the Terminal! | FutureLooks 3 on GNOME-Look | Follow me on Twitter!

Beans

Re: You can kinda apply the FOSS philosophy to a lot of other things in life...

Most of those who maintain the hacker ethic (on which the FOSS philosophy is based) also believe that it can and should be applied outside of computers. For example, art (CC), music (remix, folk), knowledge (wikipedia), science, literature, etc.
    But I mean no harm nor put fault
    On anyone that lives in a vault
    But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.

-grubby is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!

IYY is right, I never thought about doing this, but what if I drew a drawing and we passed it around in a circle or something? Everyone would draw, and it would come out better than the stick figures that i can draw

Beans

If I wrote a paper for class and shared it with my friends, then turned it in with a copy of the GPL stapled to it, do you think I would get in trouble for cheating?
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Culture_Movement

I support the Free Culture Movement and the Ubuntu philosophy in nearly all aspects of life. So yes, it goes far beyond just software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I support open community projects. But I also believe that you should follow school rules, or else BadThings(tm) will happen

After switching to Ubuntu I have started to apply the mindset to other things in life aswell. Its amazing what you can do with all that time you previously spent fixing windows

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza558 View Post
    See what I mean? If I then asked someone who copied from the person who copied from me whether they found any errors, I could then borrow his improved version, we would have all learnt something (i.e by reading), and we'd all have a superior answer. Of course, this obviously wouldn't work in exams, but you get the idea. Maybe if the education system could encourage this, we'd all learn something new...

I guess essentially what I'm saying is that multiple minds are better than one...

Anyway, that'll be my late-night ramblings for you all.
    That's how science works. You work on a hypothesis, prove it and publish your results. Science is useless unless it's published.

I reckon that's where RMS first got the idea.
    I lost a "z". Anyone seen it around here?

Beans

lol
    This reminds me of the few times I sold my work in high school. Despite whatever errors my property had, people still paid money to use it. A good proprietary example.
    The moon will illuminate my room and soon I'm consumed by my doom.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've often thought of the same kind of thing. It's a very interesting concept.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB, 1 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

Smile Re: You can kinda apply the FOSS philosophy to a lot of other things in life...

I once took a phisics class that had a take home final. Every person in the class came to me for help. I did the test using multiple ways to solve every problem but the last and most difficult one. I told everybody they were on there own for that one. I think each person learned something about how to look a problems and they didn't get a total free ride.

P.S. I was the only one to solve the last problem

Darryl Keller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast