Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Where are you, where have you travelled and where would you like to go?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Where are you, where have you travelled and where would you like to go?

I'm from Belgium, but I live in the Netherlands for my work. I wouldn't mind moving to Spain or Ireland.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    Heya herbster,

How is Antarctica operated... Well you dont need a passport to go there. Tho you will need one to exit your country. How you will get there is a tricky matter though. I know there are a few tour companies operating that take icebreakers south in the summer months and can get close enough to make landfall. Usually they use inflatable zodiac boats or helicopters to get people ashore.

I dont know of any facilities where you can rent a cabin etc.

Antarctica is not "owned" by any nation. There are over 100 countries with bases and many with some kind of "territory claims" over Antarctica but by agreement all countries to not enforce land claims and the place is intended to be kept as an open place for scientific purposes.

Under the international agreements there is to be no commercial exploitation of Antarctica for mining or military purposes. Its meant to be kept pristine and pure as possible thus most nations with a base there try to minimise eco-impact.

I got there by winning a position to work there for a year. I lived on an Australian research base (google for "Casey, Antarctica"). Australia has 3 bases on Antarctica. Our bases are on the more remote side south of Australia and south of South Africa. Thus we have no "neighbours" and are much more isolated. The 3 Aussie bases are manned right throughout the year, summer and winter.

Most of the other more then 100 countries with bases are all over the opposite side, south of South America, on the Antarctic peninsula that extends towards the southern tip of Sth America. Many only operate in the short summer months.

There are no native peoples living on Antarctica. No large land mammals either (no eskimo or polar bears or foxes etc). If all the scientists and governments packed up their bases and went home there would only be some birds, seals, and penguins on Antarctica.

For me the Antarctic experience HAD to include a winter. I wanted to see the longest, harshest, darkest winter nights.

Nahhhhh am not fearless. But how to resist the lure! Even in winter when its coldest and blackest - whenever there was a blizzard I would dress in protective gear and go outside just to feel the force of the katabatic winds tearing at my body. We had handlines strung between buildings so that you could go from building to building even in a blinding bliz - provided you can stand or crawl against the force of the wind.

In such a bliz you cannot see your hand in front of your face and often cannot even stand up against the gale. Taking just a few steps away from a huge brightly coloured and lit multi-storey building - it disappears. You are instantly "alone" in the dark, driving snow. Feeling as isolated as if you had just been teleported to a fierce planet across the galaxy. You can sink into your thoughts, hearing the roar of the wind as it tries to rip you up, physically beating and shaking you around. You can literally taste what "alone and vulnerable" is.

The nearest I ever got to that elsewhere on the planet is when scuba diving at night or in an underwater cave, or in very murky waters. Just you and what you hear and your thoughts. Life extending only as far as the glass of the facemask you wear.
    That is some crazy shiet, tact!!! Really, thanks for that, it is clear you have experienced something few ever have nor will. I definitely want to do something like that, it's especially appealing for that true feeling of really being away from it all for a while. Man you can't get much more remote than Antarcica
    "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger

Beans
    Hidden!

I've been so interested in the "Antarctic" posts here I have added the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station "Weather Report" to my Panel.

It's that Feels like that's the killer.

Now THAT'S COLD! Don't bring your bathing suit!

And to think, in the middle of winter it's warmer 750 miles from the North Pole in Alert, Nunavut, Canada, than at the South pole.

What is the South Pole going to be like in July? I shudder to think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce M.; December 17th, 2007 at 01:52 AM. Reason: added Alert

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce M. View Post
    I've been so interested in the "Antarctic" posts here I have added the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station "Weather Report" to my Panel.

It's that Feels like that's the killer.

Now THAT'S COLD! Don't bring your bathing suit!
    Bathing suits are a MUST at Aussie bases. It is a tradition that on mid-winters day we cut holes in the sea ice (its a few metres thick at that time, and go for a dip! I have photos! hehehe

Seawater can only go down to -1.7C, so its actually "warmer" in the water than in the air! Still air temp maybe -25C to -30C on a mild midwinter day. hehehe.

When you step outside with wet hair, your hair freezes in moments hard like a helmet. It sounds like tapping on a hard plastic shell if you tap on your frozen hair. The millimetre or so closest to your scalp remains unfrozen because your head puts out a lot of heat and its trapped under the frozen outer layers of hair. SO your head does not feel so cold. And you can move your "helmet" of hair around a little on your head.

Got tired of people asking "can you sign your name in the snow when u pee". So my answers got a little skewed at times... "...way past that! I now do landscapes and portraits". hehehe

Then there is the old gem "...does your pee turn to icecubes?" Of course the answer is "No - when its THAT cold pee does not hit the ground at all, it crystalises and blows away as glittering dust."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

@tact: Just reading that made me shiver.

Last Winter here in Chicago was kind of extreme. At the time, I was working at a place where I had to walk about a mile (~1.5km) after exiting my train. One day, I made this walk when it was -4F/-20C. Despite the numerous layers of clothing I had on, it was still nearly unbearable. I just can't imagine going through temps like that and worse every day for an extended period of time. I admire your fortitude.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

p_q,

Sadly, I remember that winter. Im also not fond of the 12 inches snow we just got..Isnt it summer already? lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Bathing suits are a MUST at Aussie bases. It is a tradition that on mid-winters day we cut holes in the sea ice (its a few metres thick at that time, and go for a dip! I have photos! hehehe

Seawater can only go down to -1.7C, so its actually "warmer" in the water than in the air! Still air temp maybe -25C to -30C on a mild midwinter day. hehehe.

When you step outside with wet hair, your hair freezes in moments hard like a helmet. It sounds like tapping on a hard plastic shell if you tap on your frozen hair. The millimetre or so closest to your scalp remains unfrozen because your head puts out a lot of heat and its trapped under the frozen outer layers of hair. SO your head does not feel so cold. And you can move your "helmet" of hair around a little on your head.

Got tired of people asking "can you sign your name in the snow when u pee". So my answers got a little skewed at times... "...way past that! I now do landscapes and portraits". hehehe

Then there is the old gem "...does your pee turn to icecubes?" Of course the answer is "No - when its THAT cold pee does not hit the ground at all, it crystalises and blows away as glittering dust."
    Your bean level name thing should really read not enough Ubuntu.
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Beans
    Hidden!

I shudder and shiver when I see people doing that on TV on New Years Day. Never mind the South Pole!

Note to Self: Never visit an Aussie base in Antarctica

This follows the same principle at most beaches. Go on a cool/reainy day and the water "feels" warmer, it the getting out that hurts.

Of course you are saying the water IS actually warmer. Now if only I can get my brain to accept -1.7C is warm(er).

Now that would be an experience.

However impossible for me! I'm bald.
    I'd have a nice "iceCap"

OK, but to you sign your work!

My mind tells me he's joking,
    But another part says, No he's right, he's talking about his experiences!

Again something I'll never see.

There's gold in them there hills! Naa, thats where we pee!
    Sorry, couldnt help myself.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789