Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for paid support?

Beans

Re: Recommendations for paid support?

I have a cheap solution for you, my sister's comp had a similar issue, my solution was to slap in a different network card and viola, Ubuntu recognized it and all was well. Might be worth your money, for under $15 you can be done with it. Just be sure to check compatability before you buy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Usually I've found IRC to be very quick and effective. However, in your case I'm sure you've got better things to do then hang around on IRC. Wish you all the best with all your relief efforts. I hope you are well appreciated
    Linux Registered User: 381155

Beans

Thanks. I'm supervising a materials distribution point, which means at the moment I'm drinking coffee and waiting for the next group of truckers to show up. Not a lot of appreciation here because we're not on the "front lines", but I know there's a lot of folks out there thanking us silently. That's all we need to keep going.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

http://gwos.org

Small plug.
    Last edited by KingBahamut; September 8th, 2005 at 04:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by floppy
    As I said, I'm not complaining! I'm just looking for quicker, more local support.

The only local group currently is a group of college students about 40 miles from home. I'm sure they wouldn't want some over-50 n00b hanging around. Plus I'm not even at home at the moment; I'm doing hurricane relief. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
    Hummm. I actually don't see this as as much a problem. They *might* be a group of "1337 hax0rs" (elite hackers) but college lugs are also people looking for job possibilities and real-world challenges. I think it wouldn't hurt to ask them... In fact they might even see the problems as on "their turf". & besides, if they're getting paid good money, who cares if you're over 50 and a complete n00b.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joker
    I have a cheap solution for you, my sister's comp had a similar issue, my solution was to slap in a different network card and viola, Ubuntu recognized it and all was well. Might be worth your money, for under $15 you can be done with it. Just be sure to check compatability before you buy.
    I'd second this - you get the added bonus of having it "Just Work" if you choose it correctly. If you have a laptop, xircom do a very nice PCMCIA ethernet/ 56k thingummy that is small and neat and can be gotten reasonably cheaply on eBay (I got one for £10 here in the UK) - now, no matter which laptop I buy, I need never worry about getting the modem working again!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by auburn
    if they're getting paid good money, who cares if you're over 50 and a complete n00b.
    Ok, I'll confess the real reason why I'm not contacting them. I've heard from several sources locally that the Atlanta Linux group, which is what I referred to in my prior post, is highly political. I fit the profile they don't like, unfortunately.

Personally, I'm able to separate a need for assistance from a desire to preach. I also prefer to avoid those kind of fruitless conflicts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thats why I was trying to get a LUG together in the area. Too many of the people Ive converted are just normal people. Not activists, not UberGeeks, just normal run of the mill people trying to get used to Linux.

Beans

And thanks for the switching the hardware suggestions, folks.

Been there. Didn't work. I admit I only tried 3 of my machines, but why beat a dead horse. There's something fundamentally wrong somewhere, I just don't know where.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KingBahamut
    Thats why I was trying to get a LUG together in the area.
    I hope you haven't given up on it! I do believe, despite all the problems I've had, that Ubuntu will be the premiere distro for the desktop. It'd be good to have a local group.

ps: who's involved with the website you posted? There's no info on the company/group.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast