Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comcast covering? Or can this actually happening?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Comcast covering? Or can this actually happening?

well I've been having random quick shutdown of my internet. But it only happens for a little bit. I called comcast and they said it was 'cause of me downloading torrents. It overloads something in in the router we have. I was just wondering if that actually happens?
    Ubuntu User # 17031
    Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    who needs support when you use Linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33 View Post
    Open-Source: The power to create completely useless, but extremely cool, programs.

Beans

Re: Comcast covering? Or can this actually happening?

Comcast has been limiting torrents, look it up on google, I am sure you will get the full story there.

Beans
    Distro

I know that. I get horrid upload speeds. But my internet shuts down when I'm not evening running torrents.
    Ubuntu User # 17031
    Open-Source: The power to create completely useless, but extremely cool, programs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've had my internet die as well after heavy downloading, bellsouth(at&t now?). Strange thing is the router shows that I'm connected to the internet and my network traffic monitor showed that every few minutes my computer would have dl and ul traffic but I couldn't even ping google! Strange...
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

It does actually happen. If they see torrent traffic they purge your connection resetting peers etc. Try changing default port and using encryption.

Also if they have seen it recently they may just send a random purge here and there to make sure until they see it no more. Possibility I suppose.
    Current Ubuntu Version: Ubuntu 18.04 X64
    Ubuntu User for 10+ Years...
    Phone: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 on Android O

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hanzomon4 View Post
    I've had my internet die as well after heavy downloading, bellsouth(at&t now?). Strange thing is the router shows that I'm connected to the internet and my network traffic monitor showed that every few minutes my computer would have dl and ul traffic but I couldn't even ping google! Strange...
    Woah! Sounds like the same thing that is happening to me. It must being torrents overloading something in the router. Though I can't remember what it is. I THINK it was a cache or something like it.
    Ubuntu User # 17031

Beans

Exclamation Re: Comcast covering? Or can this actually happening?

It's quite possible to overheat your home router when pushing large amounts of data. This is especially true for WiFi routers. Check the temperature of your router. If it's hot to the touch put a small desk fan to blow on it. This should lower it's temp and make it more stable. Also, check out your torrent settings and look for a "maximum upload rate" setting. Tune this to about 25Kb/s for cable modem to avoid overwhelming your router.

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

I know this doesn't really help you, but I found this satire article written by MaximumPC to be pretty funny http://www.maximumpc.com/article/com...umer_bandwidth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by chris_nava View Post
    It's quite possible to overheat your home router when pushing large amounts of data. This is especially true for WiFi routers. Check the temperature of your router. If it's hot to the touch put a small desk fan to blow on it. This should lower it's temp and make it more stable. Also, check out your torrent settings and look for a "maximum upload rate" setting. Tune this to about 25Kb/s for cable modem to avoid overwhelming your router.
    yep. blithen, when you power cycle your router/modem does the net come back?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by n3tfury View Post
    yep. blithen, when you power cycle your router/modem does the net come back?
    When I pull the power from the router it comes back on.
    Ubuntu User # 17031

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast