Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get my printer working when it does not have driver for linux ?

Beans

How do I get my printer working when it does not have driver for linux ?

How do I get my printer working when it is not listed in ubuntu driver database ?

I am having hard time to get my old printer working since i can't find the driver for Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: How do I get my printer working when it does not have driver for linux ?

Might help if you told us what it is. Although some of them are, most of the forum community members are not psychic.

Beans

Why is it that I feel a thread about Canon printers coming on???

Beans

My advice for a Linux noob:

* Avoid Canon or Lexmark printers (except the high-end Canon ones that emulate everything). Yes, I know they're cheap. Yes, I know it would be cool and seems reasonable that Linux support them, but, alas, I see no support.

* Stick with HP printers, primarily, and check compatibility on the printer compatibility list. And my experience has shown that postscript printers get the greatest support.

* On high-end systems used in offices, your best bet is postscript printers. I've also found that I can get Canon ImageRunners to work by using the Postscript driver for an HP 5MP and the thing emulates it perfectly.

Last, if you haven't updated your Ubuntu to the latest stable version, consider doing this in order to get the best printer compatibility.
    SuperMike
    When in doubt, follow the penguins.
    Evil Kitty is watching you

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMike View Post

* Avoid Canon or Lexmark printers (except the high-end Canon ones that emulate everything). Yes, I know they're cheap. Yes, I know it would be cool and seems reasonable that Linux support them, but, alas, I see no support.
    It is actually Canon and Lexmark that don't support Linux. Not the other way around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

look for a program callled turbo print it's cost about 30 or you could download load it from the right places..

that should allow you to get the drivers for your printer, i used it for my cannon i560 until now.
    works great.
    There is an easy way, and a hard way to do things.
    If you're anything like me, you've tried to do things things the hard way,

and broke something.......

(\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Here is the repository I use for my unsupported Printer.
    It uses some modified drivers that came with Canon-printers somewhere in asia.
    You can use Turboprint, www.turboprint.de, wich is commercial and costs money.
    Or you can add this to your sources.list:
    deb http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/ubuntu ./
    It works for my Canon IP Pixma something.
    I just love it when you're being sarcastic --aks44

Beans
    Distro

Why doesn't everyone just wait until we find out what printer it is. These posts may be completely unnecessary and just confuse matters if it is a different printer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMike View Post

* Stick with HP printers, primarily, and check compatibility on the printer compatibility list. And my experience has shown that postscript printers get the greatest support.

* On high-end systems used in offices, your best bet is postscript printers. I've also found that I can get Canon ImageRunners to work by using the Postscript driver for an HP 5MP and the thing emulates it perfectly.

Last, if you haven't updated your Ubuntu to the latest stable version, consider doing this in order to get the best printer compatibility.
    Also, check Dell printers. Some of them explicitly list Linux as supporting the device. Decent speed and costs as well, for some models.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you get a laser printer, find one with really good postscript support and you can't go wrong. Check against the information on http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting though just in case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast