Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EvE online trinity v2 graphics engine

Beans

Re: EvE online trinity v2 graphics engine

I hate to break it to you but unless your wallet is quite large it won't help much to win over Game companies. I'm also a Mac user and the number of Mac gamers is/was much larger than the number of Linux gamers. They have asked for years but only recently have a few companies (other than Blizzard) started to acknowledge them.
    The reason IMHO that CCP supports Linux so much is for three reasons 1. They are a relatively small privately owned company 2. They don't seem to be serious about making money, they just want to have fun making the game 3. Some of them are fellow linux users themselves or atleast see why it is good. Seeing as they dont have high up people lording over the developers, they have much more say in the making of the game. Oh and if EVE gets big enough CCP will probably be bought, and there goes Linux.
    I never dissed CCP. And yes the WoW client is free for linux users it runs just fine under wine, not they don't supply a directly linux client

Buntunub you are NOT getting the new graphics. You cannot be. Post a screenshot if you still insist. If you are managing to do it (which I HIGHLY doubt) then you are the first person I have heard of ANYWHERE that has managed to do so. And I would be VERY interested in knowing how you did so.

Oh and yes you could probably blow me away. I'm a miner and I prefer staying out of combat and run away when I can.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

yes, please post a how to about the different graphics.

I think you may be confused and think that the old graphics look different than they did before.

you should be able to enable hdr and bloom effects, as well as see a substantially greater level of detail in stations and ships.

also... the amarr ships shouldn't be yellow any more, they should be a sort of bright platinum/gold tinted colour
    The box said that I needed to have Windows 98 or better... so I installed Linux
    Need help with shell commands? click
    Need MORE help with shell commands? advanced click

Beans

As I understand it, no ATi cards will work on Ubuntu due to lack of driver support. But in a previous post here I noticed someone mentioned it work on various distro's with various configurations?

Is this true? EVE was running under vanilla WINE before with various configurations? I was just going to download the client and give it a go. I guess if it fails it fails.

But can anyone tell me if they managed to get the client running with an ATI card?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Ergzay View Post

Buntunub you are NOT getting the new graphics. You cannot be. Post a screenshot if you still insist. If you are managing to do it (which I HIGHLY doubt) then you are the first person I have heard of ANYWHERE that has managed to do so. And I would be VERY interested in knowing how you did so.

Oh and yes you could probably blow me away. I'm a miner and I prefer staying out of combat and run away when I can.

Using the cedega wrapper you dont yet get the premium graphics. That will happen in Q1 of 08. There is some limited success getting that with wine (testing it right now), and it DOES work, but its a collection of hacks and not easy at all, unless your a wine guru of course. Thats the problem with wine though, is that its not supported by CCP, and its often a mixed bag for performance. The last patch really screwed people over that were primarily running a wine client because so much changed. A flurry of activity transpired (and still is) on a plethora of forums and there still is no stable solution, although its getting really close. Alot of work and general hackery goes into this kinda stuff, and the next time CCP makes changes, guess what?.. All over again! Square one!

I dont go after miners, so you have nothing to worry about ~from me~ but several of my buddies are probably looking for you right now, as that is what they do full time.
    Last edited by buntunub; December 16th, 2007 at 06:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Here is where its at for wine. Reposted from here

Basically you have to do this:
    -Download the wine-git version, see here http://wiki.winehq.org/GitWine
    -Download the elf's patch ( http://elfe.mine.nu/eve/linux/trinity.diff ) in the wine git directory and apply it with patch -p1 < trinity.diff
    -Compile wine git
    -Install the premium client of eve
    -Install DX9 with the file in the bin directory of eve (it's named redistsomething.exe). If this doesn't work, try with this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    If some dll is missing download it and paste in the system32 directory of wine
    -Copy arial.ttf in the windows/font directory of wine (search it in your computer if you've installed ms fonts)
    -Paste this line in the /etc/hosts file: 87.237.39.199 localhost and restart the network
    -Launch eve, press esc and uncheck the premium client option

Hope I didn't forgot anything
    Even with this, its still extremely unstable, so be warned.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123