Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or is all the "best" software for KDE? kclip, dolphin, amarok, k3b....

Beans

Is it just me or is all the "best" software for KDE? kclip, dolphin, amarok, k3b....

Is it true? That's why I've been trying to make Kubuntu work so hard. So I'm trying Ubuntu and see if anything changes. But KDE has all the "best" software for it? I like the "open as root" on the context menu and "command here" and "burn iso to CD" and all those features. Last time I tried Ubuntu 7.10 I could not get ANY bluetooth things to work, including mouse and keyboard due to obex could not find errors. NEver had that problem in Kubuntu.

I've been so frustrated that if this messes up again, this years linux project is over for me. My next 'oh, I couldn't make X work on linux now something has happened and I must reformat' is going to be done with my XP cd...grrrrr.
    Last edited by Mysticle31; December 6th, 2007 at 02:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Is it just me or is all the "best" software for KDE? kclip, dolphin, amarok, k3b

I don't get it... If KDE works for you, then why not use it? Are you having some problems with it or something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is it just me or is all the "best" software for KDE? kclip, dolphin, amarok, k3b

I use Ubuntu, but I like amarok & kmuddy.

It's not like it's a crime to use kde apps on gnome

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I just like the look and feel of KDE better. I like the placement of things on the menu, where the system settings are, so on and so forth.

I realize that you can pretty much customize GNOME to look and even act like KDE, too, but I figure that as long as it has "*buntu" at the end, it's all good. ;D

Beans

Hi
    One question : using Amarok (that I like very much too ! ) doesn't means you have to install lot of KDE librairies ? (like GT or something ?)

Doesn't look a very efficient way, to install 2 full program system (one for Gnome soft and one for KDE soft).
    Perhaps there is no incidence but perhaps not.
    If yo could tell me more about it I'll be gratefull !

Aito

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Aito View Post
    Hi
    One question : using Amarok (that I like very much too ! ) doesn't means you have to install lot of KDE librairies ? (like GT or something ?)

Doesn't look a very efficient way, to install 2 full program system (one for Gnome soft and one for KDE soft).
    Perhaps there is no incidence but perhaps not.
    If yo could tell me more about it I'll be gratefull !

Aito
    Yes, but it's so... stupid... to worry about that if you have a decent computer.
    If you install Opera in Windows nobody cry because it installs Qt, or because firefox use XUL, or because VLC use Qt, or because Miro uses Gtk, unless it's Java, you shouldn't care.
    Introducing KDE 4, mini articles full of screenshots

I'm Mexican. If you find any mistakes please let me know, you'll help me improve my English. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

It's also pretty easy to customize KDE apps to look and feel like Gnome apps. I use whatever software does the job best; QT libraries don't seem to slow my computer down significantly. My only complaint with KDE apps is the too Kute for words naming convention and the often complete lack of any relationship between the name of the app and it's function.
    Intel P4 2.4GHz @ 2.8GHz, Asus P4B533, 512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM, ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 7500. Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy).
    When you get the help you need, please mark the thread [Solved].

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I find the KDE naming scheme Klever and artistiK

Like others have said, if Kubuntu works for you, why not just stick with it?
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB, 1 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    I find the KDE naming scheme Klever and artistiK
    Would't it be a naming sKeme?
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticle31 View Post
    and "burn iso to CD"
    I am pretty sure this is in the Gnome context menu too. By the way, you can customize that menu any time using nautilus-actions.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast