Thread: [Feature Request] DynDNS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

[Feature Request] DynDNS

I don't know if this is the right spot (why not? ), but I think it would be extremely helpful to have Mythbuntu offer to set up the programs necessary to update a DynDNS service. It could be integrated on the same page as the other services (VNC, SSH, etc.), and I think that it's something that quite a few people use to have access to MythWeb and other services.

Just a thought.
    Laptop ==> Dell Mini 9 :: 2GB RAM :: Ubuntu Netbook Remix Jaunty

Desktop ==> Shuttle SG31G2 V2 :: Primarily Media Center (XBMC)

Beans

Re: [Feature Request] DynDNS

What do you intend to do with it? Access your server, say Mythweb, from outside your home network - i.e. from the Internet?

The one person I know who did this, was very quickly owned, and became a bot for all sorts of scams. He was not using mythbuntu however.

So my comment/question, is mythbuntu secure enough to do this safely?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Please file feature requests under launchpad's blueprint feature. They will be lost here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You really want to do this at the router/gateway anyway since it is always a pain to determine your external IP address from an internal system...
    What, you don't have a router? Hmmm... I would suggest getting one at best buy during the xmas sale for $20. The security benefits of NAT are quite large. If you get a decent linksys/cisco box it has dyndns built in.
    Jj
    Registered Linux user #401472