Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dial up changes

Beans

Re: Dial up changes

I have been using Verizon for years, Dialup, DSL, and now FIOS. I have never had any issues running Ubuntu (or any other distro) and getting access, provided I used the router they gave me during installation. I of course upgraded to a Linksys running DD_WRT but I could easily have stuck with the one they provided.

For broadband they don't really care what OS you have, as long as you are able to configure it for DHCP, but they will not guarantee it will work (as it is not officially supported) Each time the tech came out for the install, even though he has confused with the OS presented to him, all he asked for was a browser window so he could connect to and configure the router.

As long as the Linux boxes could DHCP an address from the router(which is configured for you) everything works well. The tech will even make certain WEP is enabled if you are provided with a wireless router.

I also used Comcast briefly, before they began their traffic shaping crusade soto speak, and even though I had no issues with them and Linux I can't recommend their service at all. It worked fine for a few months, then they sent out some kind of auto update to the cablespeed modems, and apparently my modem failed during its update process, effectively making it a brick on my desk. It took Comcast 33 days to send out a tech to fix it, I called Verizon on day 7 to install DSL and their tech was there on day 9.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

@shoudon - I never had any problems with Bell Atlantic before the numbskulls at Verizon Corporate got a hold of it. Nice when you're the big gorilla in the cage, damn shame they don't have as much common sense as the monkey. There was never an installation issue with Verizon to begin with for FIOS except when I went to order it. Before it was installed in my area (6 months before) I spoke to the engineers doing the installation, they also said no issues but when I spoke to the business side to get it installed they wanted a crapload of money and Linux would not work since MS crapware had to be installed for "Control and Maintenance" (so they stated at the time) and as usual they did not support it.
    I originally started to use DSL but the issue with that (prior to the FIOS considerations) was the piece of crap oneway router they supplied which allowed them access to my system with no way to block outbound information to unwanted IP ranges. Two routers were offered one a hardware router and the other a WinRouter which required MS both were one way and the blocking of signals outbound was impossible without another firewall. Most folks know the Gutsy Network manager is broken and I wound up removing most of the DHCP service in an effort to keep the constant hits from Verizons poorly secured Microsoft server installations. As evidence of the failure of the DHCP manager after I cancelled the Verizon On line service, which took several attempts, the DHCP functions were picking up a signal from Virginia based Verizon signals and logging me in there using old pppconfig user name and password. I played hell trying to get the detritus out of this system.

You paint a pretty picture but the truth of it is you need more than a "Yes please do" to make things work and even after Verizon has been removed from my system and another ISP found to replace them there's still the interference from their contractors in Virginia and elsewhere. There's also the cost which Slashdot reported on over a year ago that the average cost of this kind of service would be $150 a month or more. It's already nearing that. I still can't figure why I should pay someone for TV with commercials. Bad enough the nitwits here support the digital TV standard causing most of the nation to buy some kind of Orwellian system.

I still have a dial up phone system and the new ISP has been pretty good, particularly when I get a couple more KB/sec download speeds when updating my Ubuntu. It would be even better if there wasn't constant attempts by Verizons system to put a "robot speed governor" on the connections. It's not quite DOS but damned near it at times.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've had Comcast and FIOS. I also know this will work with DSL.

1. I think you talk too much to the sales people. You confuse them and they end up saying they can't help you. Its almost like you want to prove to them that they can't help you.

2. All cheapie routers are one way. You are asking for too much here. If you want a decent router then buy a used WRT54G v2 router off ebay or craigslist and put DD-WRT on it. And no, there really is nothing secret to punch into a 3rd party router. Generally it's plug and play with maybe a reboot of the modem.

3. Installation is simple, the tech people come out and use their own windows computer to register the line. You don't need windows.

4. Support SOFTWARE, I wouldn't let them put this stuff on my computer if they paid me. This stuff is crap and it gives them access to your machine. Thats how they use it to support you. I used to run windows with comcast and I never installed the software. I tell even the newbies not to install this software.

5. Support SERVICE, Is lousy anyways. They will not tell you what you want to hear. I don't call them. In general if your line goes down, they tell you to reboot everything (the modem, router, and computer.) Then they have you check your settings (They should be DHCP or Automatic.) There I told you everything they can ever tell you.

6. DNS settings. I stopped using their DNS a while ago. It's slow and it often fails. I switched to OpenDNS which is free and blazing fast. All you have to do is put the two numbers in the DNS spot. Here they are: 208.67.222.222
    208.67.220.220. If you register with open DNS for free you can even see all your history, and you can block sites such as adult, political, high bandwidth, etc. It's very cool.

I think you worry for nothing or you are just trying to see how long you can keep this conversation going. Some of the things you have said just don't make sense.

Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I looked at the OpenDNS and it has been suggested before. I don't understand it completely and there seems to be some privacy issues.
    Maybe you're right, this dialogue has gone on too long without any real resolution and just continues to show me for what I really am, a technological inept imbecile. Doesn't matter now, problem has been resolved. No need to say how everything works anymore, I wouldn't use Comcast or Verizon for On line anything because of their marketing practices, the lack of support and the lies. You can add the extortion level fees as another reason, but then what the heck, one guy like me can't matter.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123