Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dial up changes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Dial up changes

Well, many of your arguments are political, not technical, as far as I can tell. (Not that political arguments are not important.) From a support standpoint, I guess I've never assumed I'd get any help from my ISP, only non-hinderance. That's what I consider support. While that might not work for Aunt Tilly, all the Aunt Tilly's in my life call me for support anyway, not their ISP. And I don't help them unless they are running linux. Too much hassle.

I think you'll wait a good long time before ISPs actually help you with a linux problem, and that is primarily a cost issue from their standpoint, which I understand, not necessarily a racketeering one. But that doesn't bother me as long as they don't take actions that impede my linux use.

I've used Comcast cable, Earthlink dsl, Covad dsl, and Verizon dsl here in Baltimore and have never had an ISP actively impede my use. None required any Windows software on my machines (which is a good thing, since I don't have any).

And, it never occurred to me to get a router from an ISP. Too many good, less-expensive choices to be had elsewhere. Even a cable modem is cheaper at Best Buy than it is if you buy one from Comcast.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I do agree with the points you make about the lack of support for Linux from ISPs. If the Linux distributions were more standardized with the tools and utilities they provided, I would argue more to get their support. The P2P issues with Comcast and other providers with their restrictions on traffic will be corrected by the market long term. These are bumps in the road as far as I'm concerned, a learning curve if you will.

As for the 'complicated' setup I have at home, it is actually a rather simple setup for me. I would not suggest that someone not technically inclined set that up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I finally "got off the pot" and made a commitment to a provider for a dedicated DSL line. I'll be able to dump one phone line and the dialup from Verizon once it's installed and the costs will be similar or slightly less than I pay now. Also, and I'm at a loss on this, I haven't changed the dial in number but am still getting on line making me wonder if it was some form of marketing ploy. If so it backfired since they'll eventually lose me as a customer altogether, not something they seem concerned with.

@Parma - Impeding the access was never the issue, though a bit complicated for the average dullard like my self, it was more having a simple installation and setup. Not really politics but more ease of access without the intrusive software requirements and failed support. You stated you never had any access issues with a few ISPs, my point exactly, having looked at this from a number of perspectives. Cost of support is a lie as defense by a provider since a sheet of paper is a sheet of paper when you have scripted tech support and the values are the same for all systems.

Once the new system is up I'll pass back any helpful information, the new bunch has Linux tech support personnel and no software restrictions. Even if you disagreed with me on any of thiis, thanks anyway. Hopefully it's resolved, I will learn a bit more and will help to encourage more use of Ubuntu. Least my updates of the kernel and Open Office should take less than a day.

Beans
    Distro

Looks like the DSL didn't pan out either but I did find an ISP not afraid of Linux or it's implications. Can't use their "speed up" package as it's MS but it's still slightly faster than the old dial up.

One thing I haven't been able to resolve completely is the re-occurrence of the Verizon Business office IP constantly showing up in the resolv.conf file. I''ve removed and re-edited all the /etc files and networking files but cannot find how this changes back to the Verizon business office in Virginia.

Worst part is the Primary and Secondary for my ISP are changed to this business office IP. Past few times I've been able to hold my ISPs ip but there's a bog down and then a DOS and the IP for Verizon has replaced the proper IP.

Any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down Comcast

Comcast is a no go in my area as they restrict Point to Point, which seems to be the next great internet issue, and have a less than stellar record. Everyone I know who has Comcast says to stay away from them due to their poor service and failure to support Linux plus they limit downloads and this is a recent condition which they are not rectifying.
    Point to Point? I can run OpenVPN just fine over my Comcast link, but perhaps that's not the same.

To be honest, the best way to get Comcast to support Linux is to outsmart them. After that they'll do the things you need to do, as long as you can demonstrate basic skills.*

You only "need" a Windows or Mac for provisioning, but what no one tells you is that you can call in and have tech support do it.

(Don't tell them you have a Windows machine if you do. They wasted 45 minutes of my life trying to get my SO's box to work.)

"Madam, I have thirteen linux computers in this house, and a Wii. Which machine do you want me to put your software CD in?"**

"That's what I thought."

Other than that Comcast "just works" and there's no fee for multiple machines (as long as you pull the router out when you're having problems, and use a direct connection, they don't care really.) Yes, BT is blocked, jidgo seems to not work very well (it may just be that I'm running Dapper)...their customer service track record is horrible, but if you outsmart them they will listen. Comcast is only the best because everything else is so terrible, but they do work.

--BK

*sudo dhclient eth0
    ** I got rid of most of them afterward. I'm down to about 8.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Benanov.
    I have an ISP (dial up) and it's faster than verizon was. Issue I have now is I think when they turned off the dial up number I used they needed it for the FIOS and I'm getting a constant signal from their servers in Loudon Virgina (formerly MCI ips) now DBA Verizon. I can't block the signal no matter what I try and it keeps replacing my new providers primary and secondary ips with the ones in Virgina. Stupid thing is it all works, albeit with the increase in hits from mainland China, railway and shipyard on the MSN network (tinfoil hat is growing in leaps and bounds on this one) I'm going to go shopping for a hardware router but if the folks at Verizon have placed my phone connection in the FIOS system it may not work either. I can't seem to get anyone past a scripted customer support individual and last check, even with a cancellation confirmation number from some guy in Bombay the charges are still showing up on my bill. Everyone has gone sort of blank on this one. I think I just threw my ISP for a loop in trying to explain it. We'll have to see. Wonder if this means I now have free internet if somehow they borked the FIOS. Nah! This is too visible for stealth mode. Damn signal is coming in UDP right towards my ISP assigned IP.

Beans
    Distro

OK I believe I may have found the source of the redirect and the lock on to the former provider's signal. It looks as if the dhcp3 was detecting the other IP signal on my phone pair and since it may have been a stronger signal, used that for the dial up. This may be peculiar to my situation since they are installing FIOS in my area and it may be there was no complete closure of the former account or maybe they've piggybacked a neighbors line or whatever.
    I also did some digging and in the backups found some other files with former passwords and user names plus I double disabled a couple of "generic" lines. I also didn't use the Network manager auto dialer to access, which as it uses the dhcp I believe to be the culprit which changes the primary and secondary DNS by detecting a signal and using that, even with the other proper primary and secondary DNS in the system.

Anyway all my internal effort seems to be OK so far. iptraf shows no more lock down to the improperly accessed level3 servers.
    For Now.
    Last edited by Oceola; January 25th, 2008 at 07:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Removing the Network Manager resolved this issue but "resolv.conf" files still need to be edited to remove the unwanted former Primary and Secondary (detected) IPs. You'll need to find your backups and edit them as well.
    There is also less closure of your Firestarter and you can add ranges and the firewall will hold. Works for both Feisty and Gutsy.

Beans

I have been with Verizon DSL for about since 2002. Besides a minor password corruption issue that took 10 minutes to resolve more than four years ago and not having power during Tropical Storm Isabel, I have never had an outage or any problems with DSL. I was using Vonage for my home office from Nov 2005 to last month and I was using the router when I switched my home PC to Linux and Ubuntu last Summer. I think having the router makes all the difference because it has the login information stored in it and all you need is to connect your PC to it and it works. I did not have to install or configure anything when I installed Ubuntu or when I used the trial live CDs. My work laptop can go wireless and the IT folks have it set up to work with about anything. Last night I installed XP Pro on my girlfriend's refurbished laptop and I plugged in LAN cable from my work laptop even XP was able to get online with it and without any configuring, wizards or install programs. I have not tried to connect the DSL to my Ubuntu computer without the router since I have no need to but I figure why mess with something that already is not broken. Not sure if this helps but DSL is great and I switched to it from Cable and I will never go back to cable. I got tired of being pinged by offsite users and I got tried of the bandwith moodswings which would go from fast to a crawl depending on the time of day.

Beans
    Distro

If things had been as simple as you were able to find them I more than likely would have had the Fios or DSL by now. The routers they provide are one way, not two way so blocking outbound signals has to be managed another way. Buying your own router is OK but you need the network values to set them up. Unfortunately if you mention Linux to Verizon's people they go dumb on you. They say simply they don't support Linux, end of technical support. I have been using Linux as a standalone for two years and had no difficulties with the new provider once the broadband creep below was dealt with.

There's also the unresolved signal "discovery" on Verizon phone lines. After changing from Verizon dial up to another provider the Network Manager kept discovering the 65.0.0.0 range of servers in Virginia instead of the servers I was directing the modem too. In reviewing this with an IT expert I was informed it's one of Verizon's insecure, dirty little secrets. Call it Broadband creep or whatever it's their fault the system is borked. I had to remove the Network manager and the DHCP system entirely to prevent access from IPs which had managed to breach the security on the Verizon servers. Something they won't admit to nor fix since it's a known MS hole.

Most of these hits come from IP ranges which target the remote access ports and administrative ports. Some hits to the old Microsoft Messenger ports and other Microsoft package ports. What I have now is working for my simple needs, Maybe when Verizon decides to dump all phone service in lieu of their new role as "Mr. Entertainment" I'll have to find a new copper pair provider.

PS: Has anyone ever heard that it's illegal for "Coppernet" to provide technical support to Linux?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast