Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Linux Will Probably Never Overtake Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Why Linux Will Probably Never Overtake Windows

After being a dedicated Linux user for about half a year I have come to the sad realization that Windows will probably always be on top. Sure, the various distributions offer their users a great product for great prices. However, when it comest to ease of use Linux lags far behind. You can argue and say that Linux is more secure, stable, free, etc. But, what it all comes down to is ease of use for most people.

Look back at the old days of Windows 3.1 and look at who was using computers. Now, look at who is using them now. Even my mother, who used to barely know how to work a mouse, is online every day emailing family members and shopping. But, if you look back at the old Linux users you'll find that most fit the same stereotype -- geeks. With that said, if Linux intends on increasing in popularity it must also reach people like our parents.

Another flaw is that most systems take a lot of configuration to run Linux. With Windows you can practically pop in the disc's and take off. Then, when you do have a problem installing Linux as a new user you're practically forced to visit a forum and try tons of solutions until something hopefully works. This may be true with Windows as well but it's not nearly as prevalent. In fact, I almost went back to Windows because I could not get my internet to work after upgrading to Gutsy. Everything went in nice and smooth and was working great for the first week. Then it just broke for no reason and i could not connect to any networks in my area. Sure, I got it to work after reading for endless hours but that's not the point.

So, my question to you people out there is the following: Do you think after reading the above statements that Linux will really overtake Windows? I really hope it does because I have seen the light. But, I think that the majority of PC users today will keep running in fear until it's made more user/hardware friendly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Why Linux Will Probably Never Overtake Windows

So what you are saying the current usability is just never going to change? That's one hell of a wrong view on things. Look at a disto from 10 years ago. You think our usability is bad now? You haven't seen pure Linux.

Linux evolves and progress very rapidly (I like to think) and just dismissing its going to be 'worse' forever is just wrong. It's a matter of having been taught to use things differently and do things the 'windows' way. Look at the installer for the graphics drivers in Ubuntu 6.06 compared to 7.04 and see the speed of change.

As for 'pop in the disc' and your sorted with Windows. Every system I have installed in the last 5 years has required me to manually get and install atleast 10 drivers. Whilst this maybe easy enough it is something I haven't had to do with Linux. All I needed to do here is just hit the restricted driver manager.

I would comment on my experience with Vista but it plain refuses to install on my system so I can't. My choice in OS may be a little 'behind' when it comes to GUI but I'm a power user and prefer the CLI anyway and at least it will load and work on my system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi there.

I do not think that Linux will 'overtake' Windows as long as Microsoft keeps on producing Windows.

My reason is a simple one and has nothing whatsoever to do with the software itself. Microsoft is a big large corporation with a huge budget to be spent on marketing.

While there are several corporations which produce Linux distributions, the do not live by selling that software.

Your observations concerning your parents might apply to your situation. They do not to mine. In my family, I am the parent. I am the Linux user. My son and his GF both use windows.

Although I am somewhat computer-savvy, I don't call myself a geek. I am, however, quite experienced in professionally installing and maintaining Windows systems.

And you know, for my own private and personal computer I prefer Linux because it is much easier to install and to maintain. Where I used to spend half week-ends fiddling with Windows I now accomplish that in an hour or so. That's time saved for actually using the computer.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperkill View Post
    Another flaw is that most systems take a lot of configuration to run Linux. With Windows you can practically pop in the disc's and take off. Then, when you do have a problem installing Linux as a new user you're practically forced to visit a forum and try tons of solutions until something hopefully works.
    I don't really completely agree with that. Linux keeps getting more user friendly, and once more major individuals and companies wake up and smell the coffee beans, kinda like Dell did, Linux will do better than it is doing now. If hardware manufacturers somehow made their products more OS neutral, I guess we wouldn't have as many issues. Personally, I didn't have a lot of configuration, actually none, to get my computer to run Linux, but then again, I could be one of the lucky few.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

And the sun never did set on the British Empire, did it?
    12.04 Beta 2 of Ubuntu Studio is awesome sauce!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Without wishing to cast doubt on your mother's intelligence or ability, how do you think she would she get on with a blank hard drive and a Windows install CD?

I know mine would be utterly lost.

Beans

Why linux will never overtake windows:

It exists to be great software, not to gain users. Overtaking windows is simply not the goal.

And please define "ease of use". I use linux because it is easier to use. My girlfriend who is your average college computer user (office, music/movies, a few basic games,etc.) found the linux GUI to be much more intuitive (middle click copy paste, for example). There is so much little details that people who use computers a lot will notice and love about linux that simply aren't there in windows. I will agree that someone who knows nothing about computers might struggle with linux. It isn't very new-user friendly. But it is far easier to use. You simply need to become familiar with it.

Another flaw is that most systems take a lot of configuration to run Linux. With Windows you can practically pop in the disc's and take off.
    HA! If you believe that, you've never done a windows install.
    Last edited by igknighted; December 5th, 2007 at 06:37 PM.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

The only reeason I would be considered a geek is because I use Linux. Not the computer knowledge I have.
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post

It exists to be great software, not to gain users. Overtaking windows is simply not the goal.
    Ancient joke:

What is the current position of Windows: It is at the edge of the abyss.

What is the main goal for the Linux community: to overtake Windows.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post

Are you talking about the Linux kernel? If so, then you're right.

If you're talking about Linux distributions, however, you're wrong. Many Linux distros (including Ubuntu) have it as their goal to overtake Windows.

Read this for more details:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast